Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

hoping some scout owners rocking a mustang solo seat could chime in. I'm currently swapping between seats to find one that fits my size. I'm 6'1 200lbs. When using the OEM seat. my butt goes numb pretty quickly, and after a few hours of riding, my lower back seriously aches.

I recently bought the extended reach seat, and now my legs feel far more comfy, but now my lower back pain is even worse. I'm not sure reduced reach handlebars would fix this issue since even when I was using the OEM seat, my lower back would begin to ache after a couple of hours, so now I'm sort of lost here.

Any taller riders use the mustang seat? How do your knees/legs fair with that?

·
Registered
487 Posts
@SteveDOOM ,I would say adjust your handlebars and see if that helps before you change to another seat.I am not 6'1,But I did have to go with reduced reach bars. Some folks in here have eased the back ach with a back rest.do a search on this ,a lot has been disused on the scout and back ach. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Indian extended reach seat is the 'fix' for most of us tall boys. And girls. Works quite well. I coupled mine with scout 1920 beach bars....and never bothered to put on the extended pegs: problem solved!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thinking of maybe keeping the extended reach seat and getting some reduced reach bars that are angled higher than what my stock bars currently are at.

@Docradio would you say there's any difference in comfort (for your arse) between the extended reach seat and stock seat??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey, I'm 6'2" and had some discomfort with the stock seat, so I switched to the extended reach seat and that didn't really solve the problem. I just kept feeling a weird pressure on the top/back of my butt after an hour or so which I now think was probably from the single rear mounting point on the rear fender. I switched to Corbin, which has a different mounting bracket (more underneath the butt, as opposed to behind it), and am much happier. Looks better too, IMO. Seems like a lot of people have experienced customer service issues with Corbin, but I was fortunate that things went smoothly I guess.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
So you understand what bad back means to me. I had a burst fracture (the vertebra blew-up fragmenting) of the 3dr lumbar vertebra, placing me in hospital traction for six weeks some twenty-five years ago.

I could not sit on the oem saddle more than 30 minutes and had to get off. Shortly after getting Scout and knowing their saddle would not work for me I went to Corbin and now have around 40,000 miles collectively on saddle/backrest. I have done 300 miles days and up to three hours (without meds), can dismount on my own and still walk unaided in a bar with no pain:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a Mustang solo seat and it wasn't very comfortable, but it's getting better as it's breaking in. It's much lower than the stock seat. I really like the height of it. I also have Trask handlebars, but they're a little far foward for my liking. I'm 5'9 and the bars are a little too far out of a reach for me.

Will consider selling the bars if interested. I think they would be better for a tall person.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm 6ft 196lb, bought a Mustang Solo. Couldn't get it to fit, this was a known problem, was surprised it hadn't been sorted when I bought mine. So I'm still on stock seat, which I'm getting used to and don't expect to upgrade. I did try an air cushion, which promised much but a few hours down the road was no better or worse than the unaltered original (same result as 3 previous bikes). Fred's suggestion of a backrest may be your best next step. Either that or just get used to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm surprised by how many responses I've received in only a day; thanks everyone.

I suspect maybe a lot of it has to do with my posture? Yesterday I made sure to be mindful during my ride of my posture, and I noticed that I seem to slouch a lot. After adjusting my posture to a straighter one, I noticed an improvement. I didn't eliminate the pain, but I definitely reduced the pain. I'll probably be sticking to using the extended reach seat, and I'll be getting a set of mini apes or reduced reach handlebars to help with leaning in.

If I opted to get backrest, I wouldn't be able to use that with the extended reach seat, correct?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Corbin is a bit dodgy. Took 3 tries to get mine right for my Daytona 1200. Never again. OEM extended seat is comfy, but looks a bit 'big' on the bike. I like mine for comfort, but for style... Still looking. Probably scout 1920 seat next.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Have you tried stretching the back and legs proir and post a ride? That should help. Legs play a big part in back pain so stretch em out including hip flexors and hamstrings if you can

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Docradio Well I'm glad you at least find the extended seat comfy. I'm still sort of learning how to sit in it, because with the standard seat there's like literally a cup to sit in, but with the extended seat it's sort of sloped differently, so I'm still finding where to best place my ass lol. I know sounds ridiculous

@Liam1288 I never thought about that, but that is some excellent advice. I stopped lifting weights awhile back, so my hamstrings are definitely weaker and less stretched than they used to be. With the pegs being forward pegs, you do put a considerable stretch/strain on your hamstrings, so I am definitely going to do some stretches to see if that helps alleviate some of the pain.

I was also looking at the Indian sport seat. Anyone have one and would like to comment on the comfort and where the seat places you?

I would consider the Corbin seat if it wasn't so damn expensive :/

·
Registered
237 Posts
100% steveDoom!
I saw a video on youtube by athleneX explaining lower back pain and i related to it instantly as i do a lot of driving where my legs are at 90 degrees at my hip causing my hip flexors to almost shrink and as a result pull on my hamstrings which then pulled on my back...
Its all related.
Dependant on mobility, it can help

·
Registered
303 Posts
Don't know where you live. In Ventura, CA there is Bill Mayer Saddles. You make an appointment, ride in they modify the foam, you take a test ride , and do that 'till the saddle is right. Then they cover it with what ever you want. Done. Corbin used to do this in Watsonville. Don't know if they still do. Their seats are too firm for me these days. I'm 6'3", the original seat and bar combo was killing my tailbone and back. The extended reach bars rocked my upper body forward enough to take the weight off of my tailbone and reduce the discomfort. The 1920 seat will raise you up(2" or so) and forward. Man the website is going buggy. The 20's seat is a comfortable shape but firm and transmits the movement of the rear end without much cushioning.. I'll finish later the cursor is in and out and the word entry is taking many seconds to load.
.Getting better rear shocks will also reduce the discomfort. I felt the stokers put the shock in in shockasorber.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@2ballde I just so happen to be from the LA area, so that's not too far of a drive from me. Do you have any pictures of their seat installed on your scout?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Pics; Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Fuel tank I did this 2yrs. ago and would do it different now and probably different in 2 more years. The 1920 seat has about the same seating position but way less cushion. This method uses your original seat pan. If you want to go back stock seats are pretty cheap on this site.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I went to Corbin a couple years ago to do my triumph seat and they were still having customers try the seats before they covered them. It took about a year before the Corbin seat on my Triumph really conformed to my butt, and when it finally did it became a fantastic seat.

I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs, and I'm 71 yrs old. I found the original seat on my Scout very uncomfortable, so I went to an extended reach seat and extended reach bars. I've put a few short (30 minute) rides on the combination and found it to be much better. I'll be putting a longer ride on this combination tomorrow and will report the results. If these changes don't cure the motorcycle ass and back ache problem I'll go down to Corbin and get a custom seat and back rest.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts