Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2020 I got my first bike: a 2016 Indian scout. Now that I've got some experience I'm looking to upgrade. The bike is a lot of fun and I really like the style of it, however I'm 6'4" (205lbs) so it's a little cramped.

Can any tall riders on the chief give any feedback on how it fits? Modifications made? etc.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am 6’1 with forward controls and feel fine. I think I would still be comfortable even with mid controls. Dean Speed Front Highway crash bars are also nice for when I go on long rides because I put my feet up on them. Definitely bigger than scout.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm 6'2" 250lbs, my wife upgraded her 2019 Scout Bobber to the 2022 Chief Darkhorse and I've put more than a few miles on both. Her CDH has mid controls and standard handlebars, personally with my 34" inseam I find the controls to be tight but not unmanageable on hour plus rides. The handlebars I would have to replace if it were my bike. Between the mid controls and the position on those bars it starts straining my back after about an hour. I would likely replace the mid with forward controls but I don't think that would be the highest priority for me. Other than that I really love the bike as it rolled off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Dark Horse
14 Posts
I'm 6'2" 225lbs, and I like the mid-controls for easy ability to elevate when on rough roads (frost heaves, primarily). I don't like the drag bar on my Dark Horse--too much forward lean resulting in lower back pain-- and will be replacing it with the cruiser bar when I can get one. That bar allows a more upright posture and I found it quite comfortable when testing a Super Chief. Ditto with adding highway bars--stretching out really helps--I've put those on many bikes I've owned. That way you have the stock position and the stretch position to switch between--you're not locked into a single space.

Lots of riders swear by the forward controls, and I had those on a Triumph Thunderbird 1600, but I found they lowered the cornering clearance; plus, even after a year of riding the bike, whenever I got on I still tried putting my feet on mid-placement footpegs--that were never there! And, every little bump on the road was sent right up my spine since the forward location made it almost impossible to stand to avoid bumps.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I’m 6’3” 215lb and have a Darkhorse with the extended reach seat. I’m pretty comfortable on it but I agree with RebelHawk - I’m sure I’ll get forward controls eventually so I can stretch out a little more. The mids are ok but I’m sure the forwards will be more comfortable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In 2020 I got my first bike: a 2016 Indian scout. Now that I've got some experience I'm looking to upgrade. The bike is a lot of fun and I really like the style of it, however I'm 6'4" (205lbs) so it's a little cramped.

Can any tall riders on the chief give any feedback on how it fits? Modifications made? etc.

Thanks in advance!
I'm 5'10 and have the Chief with mid controls. I really regret that decision. I'm crunch down so much that my hips like to cramp up on me.

I couldn't even imagine doing the mid controls at 6'.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, Black Smoke
23 Posts
I have the Chief Bobber Dark Horse, it comes with forward controls and that was a big factor in my final decision on the motorcycle. I am 6'3, 240lbs. I currently have the stock seat with some gel upgrade done by my buddy. An extended reach seat or an aftermarket seat will help. I also have the Dean-Speed highway bars, they are a must in my opinion for any bike to allow adjustability during any ride of length.

Find a Chief,
Sit on the model you like,
Move your feet to the different positions
But said Chief,
RIDE THE HECK OUT OF IT!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone's replies. The feedback on longer rides and the different seats, handlers bars, etc.is definitely appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I ordered my Chief Darkhorse, I also got the 1920 Solo Seat and the Forward Control Kit.
Being 6'2" / 220 lb I thought I could use the extra leg room..........BUT after installing the seat and riding it for a few weeks I realized how much control you have over the bike with Mids, and I didn't want to change it, so I sold off my Forward Control kit and kept my pegs how they came.
With a 32" inseam my legs are bent at an almost perfect 90 degrees and long HWY rides are so much more comfortable than my Scout Bobber.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2022 Chief ABS that came with stock mid-controls; at 6’1” 250# I was pretty cramped, BUT,,, I really really wanted the Ruby Smoke.
So, I’ve added the Extended Reach seat and forward controls - seat change allowed me to tide for about 1.5 hours vs 30-45 min with the stock seat. Adding fwd controls was a blessing, and my knees and hips thank me for it. Waiting on mid-rise bars now.
Yes, I know that I could have bought a Bobber and gotten all of that (for an extra $2k) but I didn’t like the bobber look, with the enclosed shocks and forks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I ordered my Chief Darkhorse, I also got the 1920 Solo Seat and the Forward Control Kit.
Being 6'2" / 220 lb I thought I could use the extra leg room..........BUT after installing the seat and riding it for a few weeks I realized how much control you have over the bike with Mids, and I didn't want to change it, so I sold off my Forward Control kit and kept my pegs how they came.
With a 32" inseam my legs are bent at an almost perfect 90 degrees and long HWY rides are so much more comfortable than my Scout Bobber.
Not trying to hijack the post, but how do you like the seat & do you have pics of it installed?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not trying to hijack the post, but how do you like the seat & do you have pics of it installed?
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Fuel tank

I had this seat on my Scout Bobber as well and absolutely love it!
It sits higher that the OEM seat (probably 1.5 inches) and the width really spreads out your weight better than the narrow OEM seat.

The padding is good and I have gone on 160 mile rides in relative comfort.
Plus, it just looks so good!

·
Registered
269 Posts
View attachment 667556
View attachment 667557

I had this seat on my Scout Bobber as well and absolutely love it!
It sits higher that the OEM seat (probably 1.5 inches) and the width really spreads out your weight better than the narrow OEM seat.

The padding is good and I have gone on 160 mile rides in relative comfort.
Plus, it just looks so good!
Thanks for the pics! It looks awesome on the Chief! I’m torn between this and a Corbin - lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts