Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its too early, but if and when the time comes, can someone do a video on youtube? I understand, unlike the harley, there's an C-clip and pin you remove from the swing arm and you drop the swing arm down to remove the rear tire. Any light on this subject would great be appreciated?:confused::confused::confused:

·
Founding member
954 Posts
1 Remove 2 caliper mounting bolts
2 Remove ABS sensor mounting bolt,sensor,shims
3 Remove upper shock pivot pin retaining ring
4 Thread a lower side panel fastener into threaded opening on the pivot pin. Pull on fastener to withdraw pin from bore
5 Raise rear of bike until axel nut accessible below muffler
6 Loosen left and right axle adjusters
7 Remove rear axle nut,washer from left side of swing arm
8 Push wheel forward slide belt off rear sprocket and remove wheel
Installation performed by reversing procedure

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,052 Posts
Morning Folks,
Easy enough in the shop; not something I'd want to do on the side of the road... of course, that's why I have tubeless tires and carry a plug kit.
--- Randall

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to see that on a you tube video???

·
Registered
478 Posts
1 Remove 2 caliper mounting bolts
2 Remove ABS sensor mounting bolt,sensor,shims
3 Remove upper shock pivot pin retaining ring
4 Thread a lower side panel fastener into threaded opening on the pivot pin. Pull on fastener to withdraw pin from bore
5 Raise rear of bike until axel nut accessible below muffler
6 Loosen left and right axle adjusters
7 Remove rear axle nut,washer from left side of swing arm
8 Push wheel forward slide belt off rear sprocket and remove wheel
Installation performed by reversing procedure
I'd highly suggest buying the manual, then follow along with the above instructions. I'd suggest buying the manual if you're planning to do any maintenance yourself; unless of course, you are an accomplished and/or expert mechanic...

·
Founding Member
714 Posts
Question: What is the MM size and torque specs on rear axle nut for the 2014 Chieftain?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If you put a lowering kit on bike you don't have to remove upper shock mount pin to drop axle...Axle is above exhaust for removal.... You can also remove right side muffler to pull axle

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I'd highly suggest buying the manual, then follow along with the above instructions. I'd suggest buying the manual if you're planning to do any maintenance yourself; unless of course, you are an accomplished and/or expert mechanic...
Even if you are an accomplished mechanic (I have 40 years) I always use the manual. Easy to misadjust something or over torque bolts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first flat on 2014 Indian Vintage rear tire. Instructions listed from the manual above are good EXCEPT for removing the upper shock pivot pin especially when the tire is flat. Trying to figure out when the tire is barely touching the ground does not help in removing the pin. Easy way is to raise bike slowly and watch the the top of the shock. When it moves upward slightly the pin should pull out easily. If not, move jack slowly until the pressure of the shock is taken off the pin so it will slide out

·
Registered
144 Posts
Morning Folks,
Easy enough in the shop; not something I'd want to do on the side of the road... of course, that's why I have tubeless tires and carry a plug kit.
--- Randall
Hey Randall, Is that plug a permanent repair or just to get you to the shop? And I have always heard you dont repair motorcycle tires, you replace them. Just experienced my first flat on a tubeless tire. I darn sure dont want to do something stupid.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Thousands of miles on plugged motorcycle tires. Ninja's too. If its not on the sidewall or really big, a plug works beautifully. I have never had a plug failure. Seriously.
Now on cars I have tried to plug BIG holes and got air leaking by so ended up having to patch it from the inside. But a screw or nail? Plug city daddio ...........

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Hey Randall, Is that plug a permanent repair or just to get you to the shop? And I have always heard you dont repair motorcycle tires, you replace them. Just experienced my first flat on a tubeless tire. I darn sure dont want to do something stupid.
I'd say plug it and ride... What you say Randall?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thousands of miles on plugged motorcycle tires. Ninja's too. If its not on the sidewall or really big, a plug works beautifully. I have never had a plug failure. Seriously.
Now on cars I have tried to plug BIG holes and got air leaking by so ended up having to patch it from the inside. But a screw or nail? Plug city daddio ...........
Thanks!!

·
Banned
27 Posts
As a mechanic....what are you going to do along side of the road when you have a flat? I would rather plug it or fix-a-flat it to get me going to get it properly serviced somewhere else than along side of the road. Even waiting for the road service could be hours. I'm going to get myself to the dealership if I can.

·
2,052 Posts
Morning Folks,
As others have noted, I have seen plugged tires run for thousands of miles with no problems. The rational for replacing plugged tires is that there is no way of knowing how much damage was done to the carcass of the tire when the puncture occurred. This potential liability problem is why dealerships won't plug them and will recommend replacement. You must decide whether you are willing to take the risk.
--- Randall

·
Registered
83 Posts
Question....
Dealer said change out tube of my vintage same time the new tire is replaced, is this necessary.
Said it is warn out just like the tire.
Hard for me to choke that down.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Morning Folks,
As others have noted, I have seen plugged tires run for thousands of miles with no problems. The rational for replacing plugged tires is that there is no way of knowing how much damage was done to the carcass of the tire when the puncture occurred. This potential liability problem is why dealerships won't plug them and will recommend replacement. You must decide whether you are willing to take the risk.
--- Randall
Plugs have been determined to have a 20% failure rate. Therefore deeming them a temporary repair. The correct way to repair is by using a cold vulcanizing patch from the inside.
Now that being said I have had plugs last the life of the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,052 Posts
Question....
Dealer said change out tube of my vintage same time the new tire is replaced, is this necessary.
Said it is warn out just like the tire.
Hard for me to choke that down.
16" Inner tubes run $16 from most cycle supply outfits so it's cheap insurance (I understand Indian's are higher) while you've got the wheel and tire off anyway. I've done my own tire changes for the most part and inspect the tube and rim-band. I also check the rim for rust. If there is no obvious chaffing or cracking I have no problem with reusing them. I'd normally recommend replacement to a customer, just to be on the safe side, unless money was a real issue.
--- Randall

·
Registered
83 Posts
Howdy Randle.
Been watching and listening to words of the wise.
Need to tire for rear on vintage.
May I ask your opinion on metzler www tire compared to dunlap american elite www tire.
Been watching u-tube video, metzler claimes 20 % higher milage that its competitors.
I know the germans are making so many high end cars and product.
Most of our high pressure hoses at work in the oil industry come from there.
So can I assume from what I am told theses tires are superior in engineering than the dunlap that came on the bike.
28400 miles on two back tires, not to shabby.
Whats your take on new tires.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts