Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked. I searched but didn't find the answer.

My Chieftain is only a week and a half old. But I'm already tired of staring at that stupid orange and black fuel sticker just under the filler cap. I find myself picking at it while waiting at red lights.

What is the safest way to remove that fuel warning sticker on the tank?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

- Jim

·
Bronze member
2016 Indian Scout
1,850 Posts
A hair dryer or WD-40 should soften it enough to peel it off. The longer it stays on, the harder to remove later.

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
969 Posts
WD 40 works fast.

·
Rider
569 Posts
Yep, hair dryer set on ""Low" will warm up the adhesive and then just pull the sticker off slowly. As you pull slowly, be sure to pull the sticker straight back - not at a 90 degree angle. Pull it at an 180 degree angle. Then use WD40 to remove the remaining residue.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Peeled mine off with my fingers after picking the corner up with my fingernail. Rubbed off the little bit of remaining glue with a dry rag. Waxed the tank afterward. No issues or visible signs the sticker was ever there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just peeled it off, as well as the one on the engine guard. Then a little adhesive remover, then wax. I took them off the day I brought Rosie home.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,115 Posts
Depending on how cool it is where you're at, leaving it in the sun for a bit is about as effective as the hair dryer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Folks.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked. I searched but didn't find the answer.

My Chieftain is only a week and a half old. But I'm already tired of staring at that stupid orange and black fuel sticker just under the filler cap. I find myself picking at it while waiting at red lights.

- Jim
I use a rag soaked in boiling water (much safer than hair dryer). This softens the glue enough to peel the sticker off. May have to apply a couple of times but better than messing up the paint. Can use a little WD40 then to get any remaining glue.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Peeled mine off with my fingers after picking the corner up with my fingernail. Rubbed off the little bit of remaining glue with a dry rag. Waxed the tank afterward. No issues or visible signs the sticker was ever there.
Same...it probably helped that it was over 90 degrees in the sun that day.

Reactions: jdmatthew

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
What everyone else said. On that topic, I find the varying personality types fascinating. I've seen used bikes - 3, 5, even 10 years old that still have that stupid sticker. I take mine off on the showroom floor. The longer it's on, the harder it is to remove. I think they are hideously ugly on any bike, and just can't wrap my head around leaving it on. I suppose people that leave it on can't wrap their mind around taking it off.

I bought a new old stock Honda VTX 1800 R some years ago. It was 5 years old but brand new, 1 mile. The sticker, having sat on the tank for 5 years, left a permanent mark on the tank I could never get rid of. A paint guy looked at it and said the only way to get rid of it would be wet sanding the clear, reshooting the clear, and sand/polish. I just left the rectangle there that you could only see when the light hit it just right; but I knew it was there. Drove me nuts but I couldn't justify the expense to fix it. In the end, the bike got totaled anyway.

Reactions: jdmatthew

·
Rider
669 Posts
My gas tank sticker disappeared shortly after getting the new bike home, as did the highway bar warning labels, and the chrome strips on the saddlebags. A hair dryer and WD40 is all it took.

·
Registered
272 Posts
How about on the "smoke" paint. I have the "silver smoke" matte finish. Will WD40 damage the surface, or no? Anyone had experience with it? (thanks in advance!)

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Hi Folks.

- Jim
There are threads on this subject at the bottom of the page under "similar threads" if you didn't get the answer you wanted, above.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My gas tank sticker disappeared shortly after getting the new bike home, as did the highway bar warning labels, and the chrome strips on the saddlebags. A hair dryer and WD40 is all it took.
I have never had a problem with WD40 on paint. But I use it very sparingly. WD40 has to get to the glue to work so you have to get the sticker off first. Also, in response to the post about the different personalities, my last bike was a VTX1300. Bought it used, 3 years old and it still had all the safety stickers. When I removed the gas tank sticker right after I bought it I could still see the outline of the sticker. Drove me nuts. I used some scratch remover at each wash and it eventually became less noticeable.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Just to throw my 2 cents in prefer Goo-Gone to WD-40 .. Goo-Gone , NOT Goof Off Big Difference ..

·
Rider
759 Posts
Yep, +1 on the sunny day, slow peel and WD40 for the glue bits.
Florida should provide the opportunity for that.
Take your time with both the sticker peeling and glue removal.
Also +1 on the need to do it. People who don't are just weird...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts