Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Taking advanced riders course,

5K views 52 replies 34 participants last post by  OracleDba 
#1 ·
I’ll will be taking an advanced riders course (Cone Camp)
I’ll be learning slow speed turns etc.
I know I will drop my bike (Just being honest)

My question is has anyone ever taken a course like this and did you put some form of protection on your engine guards??

Marc

#3 · (Edited)
I have a set of these. I was concerned making the jump from the Scout to the Challenger.
They’re expensive - and really beefy. I installed them, then removed them. If you’re taking the cone course, get a set. Money well spent.

#4 ·
I did the advanced course on my roadmaster. It was difficult. I removed my bags and I put pool noodles on my crash bars. I didn’t end up dropping the bike, but the only reason I didn’t is because I’m fairly tall and very strong. My “skills” were laughable. I did manage a pass on most challenges, but no way would I ride the bike without some slow drop protection.

#8 ·
I've been through a cone course or two in my motor officer career. Most likely you will drop the bike. The best advice is to take off your trunk and bags. Also, once you feel you are going to drop the bike just let it go. I've seen too many broken legs and ankles from guys trying to keep the bike from falling over. Motor school has a 30% failure rate, hope your course is a little easier. Good luck. Please report back.

#11 · (Edited)
Fire hose works well. Don't ask me how I know because I aced my Pro Rider class on my 2016. Well, sort of. I mean I dropped my bike several times. I can say however, that the fire hoses aced the test.
Taking the class is something everyone should do. I have been riding on 2 wheels for 55 years and learned a lot during training.

#15 ·
I have taken 2 advanced course's, one in Lima Ohio and the other in Essex VT. Both were a BMW rallies almost 20 years ago. One I took on a R1150RT and the other on my K1200GT, both were light flickable bikes. I was amazed at how many things I was doing wrong, but learned a tremendous amount of technique. I would definately recommend extra protection for your crash bars.

#16 ·
I took the advance MSF course on my Chieftain and Roadmaster never dropped the bike. It's not THAT difficult to do.

Put a garden hose on your bars, take your bags off "just in case" and HAVE FUN!!! After all, it's a day of riding. What could be better than that? 😁

Reactions: SeguinBenn
#18 ·
I am certified to instruct the BRC, BRC2, and the ARC. The biggest issue that I see with people taking the ARC is that they are afraid to lean the bike over. It's easy to keep the bike in between the solid line on the right and the dashy line on the left. It's easy to go through some gentle switchbacks. It's harder when you are dealing with a heavyweight cruiser/tourer at low speeds. You just have to remember the following, and you will be fine:

1) Head and eyes. Turn your head and look through the turn to where you are going. The bike will follow.

2) Friction Zone. Use the friction zone to modulate your speed. For most of the exercises, you will be in the friction zone, especially on a TS111. I have found that either the bike wants to go too fast for the exercise, or so slow that it lugs and stalls, if you try to use throttle only.

3) If the bike is moving, it wants to stay up.

4) You have more lean angle available than you think you do.

5) You're going to need some arm and shoulder strength to muscle that fork-mounted fairing around at low speeds.

FWIW, I demo the exercises on my lowered 2017 Roadmaster, and at most I drag my pipes in some of the exercises.

#21 ·
I posted this in another thread. Hopefully it helps.

I don't have any videos and I don't ride a Challenger but here are the basics with any brand or model of bike.

1) you need to be in the friction/grey area zone with the clutch. There has to be power to the rear wheel. Do not pull in the clutch on a full lock leaned over turn. The bike will fall over. It's easier to be in the grey area prior to making the turn rather than trying to find it after you started the turn.

2) look where you want to go. The bike goes where you are looking. If you are looking at an obstacle you don't want to hit the bike will drift toward it. As soon as you are committed to the u-turn, turn your head as far as you can and look over your shoulder.

3) the bike's turning radius goes off the front wheel. Turn the front wheel/dog leg in the opposite direction before starting your turn.

4) lightly and I mean lightly drag the rear brake while making the turn. Too much rear brake and your fighting the bike. The turn won't be smooth. Don't use the front brake or the bike will fall over.

5) you don't need much throttle. Just keep a nice steady throttle. The speed of the turn is determined by the clutch not the throttle.

6) sit upright with a little counter lean and slide a little forward in your seat. Do not lean your body or drop your shoulder towards the turn.

The easiest way to practice this is in an empty parking lot. Start practicing your turns wide and tighten them up as you get better. It just takes practice and it is a perishable skill. It will click one day when you learn to trust the bike.

The Indians do not turn as tight as the HD's. I disagree with the higher handlebars making turns easier. Your putting your hands farther away from you especially with the right turns.

You will hear some people say you don't need this skillset. It's safer when your feet are on the floorboards instead of duckwalking the bike and you look way cooler. LOL

You can also check out ProRider for videos and training.

One word of caution if the bike is falling over do not put your foot down to save it. It is one of the most natural things we do and a very hard habit to break. I was guilty of it just like almost every rider learning these techniques. I have seen some bad injuries from this when the rider's leg was caught by the saddlebag.

Good luck with your training and be safe,

Phil

#22 ·
You didn’t say if you’re a new rider or not?

if you’re a new inexperienced rider I would suggest borrowing someone’s much lighter older bike.

yes you obviously want to know how to control the bike you ride but I’ve also known a lot of people who buy heavy and or fast bikes as their first motorcycle and don’t have the skill set for even the basics. Many courses provide small bikes for this purpose.

learning basics on a smaller bike gives a grounding you can begin to apply to your own bike.

if you’re already experienced then the advice so far is solid.

#31 ·
I had those on my Roadmaster for awhile...until the bike was blown over by the wind, and they did nothing except act as a fulcrum to allow the bike to roll completely over on its side.

#30 ·
I took this course last yr and I was 67 at the time. Been riding for 50+ yrs. Not that difficult. Have ridden about ever type of bike in my life before settling down with cruisers and tourers. Most people are afraid to lean bike over as needed to maneuver/stay within cones /circle /course at a particular speed. Biggest obstacle is then quickly lean opposite ( like tight figure eight) as/in parts of the test.. Evasive maneuvers demand paying attention. The instructor was riding a full newer Goldwing. He showed he could do it without dragging pegs or crash bars. Test lasted 4 hrs or so. You’ll get a little break on your insurance ( not enough to offset cost $150), but good to have a copy of this in your driving record file w/the state DMV. I took the course because I have medical issues and didn’t want to be looked down on as a possible liability. I thought the course/test was kinda fun. Texas.

#33 ·
I took the police crash course and prepare yourself it is hard. They try and teach you the same the cops have to go through but instead of week it’s about an 8 hour course. I dropped mine (at the time ultra limited) three times. I did get these snap on protectors for the engine guards which did a great job. Not one scratch.

#36 ·
I have taken an advanced class with my Chieftain offered by 2 retired state troopers. The course was small in comparison due to a slight hill incline. I took off my bags, but did not wrap my crash bars. I almost dropped on the tight turns from a stop but managed to keep it upright. It was a tough course IMHO, more so than the MSF ARC. The Chieftain's turning radius in the 2014 IMHO is not as easy as the HD Street Glide. I learned a lot. Most riders showed up on small bikes and/or BMWs and struggled, but not as much as those with heavier bikes. I would wrap the bars if I did it again. One of the women in the class did drop at the tight turn from a stop and broke her hip. It's a struggle between worrying about dropping an expensive bike and wanting to complete the dang course. Good luck and have fun with it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.