Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you could say this?

Here's the situation: The wife and I, along with our friend Amanda, went out for a couple hours' ride yesterday. Wife and I were 2-up on my Roadmaster, and Amanda was on her H-D Softtail Slim. A couple of days before, I had performed an oil change and lubed the clutch cable ends, which involved loosening the adjuster, taking the ends out of their respective housings, and putting it all back together after cleaning and lubing.

Now, I have a Barnett clutch cable, and the adjuster is a little different from the stock cable. Apparently, I did not have it positioned properly when I did what I thought was the final adjustment before riding it home. The 5-10 minute ride from the Auto Skills Center went fine, however, extended riding would be the downfall.

So, while we were out riding, I noticed that the cable pull was starting to feel a little off. As I was going into a turn, and attempting to drop to 3rd gear, I suddenly lost all tension in my cable. Thinking quickly, I kicked the bike into neutral and braked to a stop by the road. After a quick inspection, I figured that the cable was not broken, but had somehow run itself all the way slack.

Unfortunately, while I could turn the entire adjuster mechanism by hand, I needed to loosen the jam-nut and hold the upper adjuster in place while turning the lower adjuster. I had the stock tool-kit that came with the bike, plus a Leatherman Supertool 300, and enough assorted hex bits and a driver to remove the trunk, seat, and tighten the battery cables. What I did not have was either A) a second set of pliers, or B) 12mm and 14mm wrenches, which are the sizes that fit the cable adjuster and nut, and Amanda did not have a tool kit in her saddlebags.

As we were trying to figure out a solution, Amanda asked "how far from the house are we?" As we were doing more backroads than straight out and back, we were actually only about 15 minutes from my house. That's when the offer came: "Take my bike, ride to your place, get the tools you need, and ride back. Your wife and i will stay here. Don't bend my baby!"

So, one 20-30 minute round-trip later, and 15 minutes of tinkering, and we were back on the road.

So my takeaways are as follows:
1) make damn sure you are doing your maintenance properly.

2) Make sure your roadside tool kit actually has what you need.

3) Ride with good people!

4) Still would not trade my RM for a H-D Softtail Slim.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
@Kitulu you are so correct on tool invoice. From all my years on Harleys to many tools was always my habit. But payed off if not for me then those I rode with. Now I have 2 tool kits due to my indian is metric. Also always carry a repair kit with me in case my clutch cable should snap. Picked up that habit riding Victory’s.

·
Silver member
5,501 Posts
All good advice. And good too that you wouldn't trade your apple for an orange (4) ;)

Reactions: New York Mike

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
It's always a bit of a guess as to what tools to take on a bike. The Scout was the slimmest took kit I ever got with a bike, one single allen key in a slot behind the rear number plate.

When my Springfield DH clutch cable broke at atmost 50,000 kms I'd just returned two days before from touring for a week out west. I was on the way to the dealer to book a service when it snapped. They picked up the bike and replaced it under warranty, Had it snapped out west in the middle of nowhere I might have found myself saying, 'Take my bike, I'm taking the train.'

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It's always a bit of a guess as to what tools to take on a bike. The Scout was the slimmest took kit I ever got with a bike, one single allen key in a slot behind the rear number plate.

When my Springfield DH clutch cable broke at atmost 50,000 kms I'd just returned two days before from touring for a week out west. I was on the way to the dealer to book a service when it snapped. They picked up the bike and replaced it under warranty, Had it snapped out west in the middle of nowhere I might have found myself saying, 'Take my bike, I'm taking the train.'
Exactly why I carry clutch cable repair kit. I do 2-2 Week trips a season also. And we almost always run a coast to coast better safe then looking for a train lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts