Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I hope you can help me. I often have pain in my tailbone. So I have read the posts regarding a new seat for my Scout Bobber 2019. The only thing that I understand is that I have 3 options: a Corbin seat, a Mustang Seat or the comfort Seat from Indian itself.
But when I look at the seat they al have this little bump at the end. Will this hurt my tailbone? Is it not better to have a "straight" seat, for example:

Can somebody share his experience? I'm 5.9 feet tall and I weigh 213 lbs.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,256 Posts
I'm 5 foot eleven and 218 pounds. My Corbin seat is much more comfy that that stock torture rack ever was. It's a firm seat but it breaks in over time and gets even more comfortable. Expensive but worth it in my humble opinion.

·
Rider
1,148 Posts
I have the exact same problem. My '16 roadmaster seat is good for day trips, but after a few days on the road, my tail bone is giving me grief. Looking at options....possibly an Ultimate for a 14 day trial.
Also gonna look at a driver back rest, that might keep me sitting in a more upright position, taking the pressure off my tail bone.

--
Gordon

·
Rider
1,347 Posts
Seats can be expensive and unless you get to try before you buy or a return arrangement it can be a pain in itself searching for 'Butt Nirvana.' On my other bike I had a custom seat built from scratch locally with the materials, foam density and gel inserts of my choice but with solo saddles the option is not there so much.

Cheap and simple for my Indian on longer haul trips I use an Airhawk DS. Best money I ever spent. People may say it looks sh1t but they can't see it under your fat butt when riding and can be removed in a jiffy, deflated and stuffed in your pocket if you're that bothered about looks? Common mistake about Airhawks is that people overinflate them. Inflate, sit on it and release the pressure until your butt is about 1/4 inch off the seat, job done! They're a lot cheaper your side of the pond too but can be had on Amazon in Europe!

Reactions: GoodGolly

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have tried four seats so far on the 2020 Scout. The first seat I tried was a solo seat from a 2019 scout with a back rest. It hurt my tailbone after about 50 miles. I sent the first OEM solo seat off to MeanCity cycles and had the foam replaced ($200) and it helped extend the mileage to about 100 miles but I still was not satisfied. I went back to the original 2 up seat that came with the bike originally and it was good for about 100 miles as well which surprised me but I wanted a seat with a back rest. I currently have a Corbin solo seat with a back rest and I have ridden 200 plus miles with no issues. Disclaimer: Corbin has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with and how they stay in business is a mystery. I was warned about how bad they were and you only find this out if you have any issues with the seat or in my case the mounting hardware. I am 5' 8" 180 lbs. Hope this helps.....
OEM solo seat.jpg
OEM 2 up seat.jpg
Corbin solo seat.jpg

Tim

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hello guys, I hope you can help me. I often have pain in my tailbone. So I have read the posts regarding a new seat for my Scout Bobber 2019. The only thing that I understand is that I have 3 options: a Corbin seat, a Mustang Seat or the comfort Seat from Indian itself.
But when I look at the seat they al have this little bump at the end. Will this hurt my tailbone? Is it not better to have a "straight" seat, for example:

View attachment 575034

Can somebody share his experience? I'm 5.9 feet tall and I weigh 213 lbs.
you can also go with saddleman they make seats for the bobber also. but i went with the mother roads customs seat you have pictured there with the gel pad in it. ive done 450 mile days on my bobber with zero butt issues. worth every penny of the high price they charge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm getting a Russell Day Long seat for my Scout. It's a little spendy, but they make it specifically for your butt, height weight and riding position. A friend of mine got one and he swears by it. I'll let you know how it goes. The stock Scout seat hurt my butt after about 75 miles. I'm 6' and 190

·
Rider
1,168 Posts
Seats can be expensive and unless you get to try before you buy or a return arrangement it can be a pain in itself searching for 'Butt Nirvana.' On my other bike I had a custom seat built from scratch locally with the materials, foam density and gel inserts of my choice but with solo saddles the option is not there so much.

Cheap and simple for my Indian on longer haul trips I use an Airhawk DS. Best money I ever spent. People may say it looks sh1t but they can't see it under your fat butt when riding and can be removed in a jiffy, deflated and stuffed in your pocket if you're that bothered about looks? Common mistake about Airhawks is that people overinflate them. Inflate, sit on it and release the pressure until your butt is about 1/4 inch off the seat, job done! They're a lot cheaper your side of the pond too but can be had on Amazon in Europe!

My wife made a black naugahyde cover for my Airhawk and I have received compliments on its looks as I have a black and pearl white Scout 60. As far as comfort, I agree 100% that finding the right inflation level (which is NOT fully inflated) is key. I took it off my Suzuki when I traded and found it fit the stock Scout seat even better. After several months of riding I took it off to see how the stock seat felt. 20 miles and my tailbone was killing me. I put it back on that afternoon when I got home. IMO it is a good and economical alternative to expensive custom seats.

Reactions: K9F

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the answers. So if I'm correct another seat will definitely help. My tailbone hurts the moment I sit on... Every adjustment will be helpfull, I just need to look which one and how much money I want to spent.
It would be much easier to testdrive, but not many Indian dealers in Belgium and they don't have other seats.

·
Rider
1,347 Posts
Rikken save a bucketload of money and try an Airhawk. You won't be disappointed I guarantee it! Can't say the same about an aftermarket seat I'm afraid!

Reactions: Old Kentucky Guy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for all the answers. So if I'm correct another seat will definitely help. My tailbone hurts the moment I sit on... Every adjustment will be helpfull, I just need to look which one and how much money I want to spent.
It would be much easier to testdrive, but not many Indian dealers in Belgium and they don't have other seats.
I had the same issue. I tried all the usual off the shelf seats including the corbin. I am also your height and weight. I finally found a seat that works very well. It's not exactly pretty, but it is very well made and extremely comfortable. It's a custom by Seth Lamm Seats. see my post Lamm Seat

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thx. Only problem for me is the shipping to Belgium. It's an additional 200 dollars... That's why I want to be sure it will help me. I'm going to contact him.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Rikken, landgenoot?,

i installed a 1920 seat today on my Scout 60, tomorrow morning i will make a first ride if it doesn’t rain too much. I heard a lot of positif about this seat. I’ll let you know

·
Rider
1,347 Posts
Thx. Only problem for me is the shipping to Belgium. It's an additional 200 dollars... That's why I want to be sure it will help me. I'm going to contact him.
Additional $200 shipping? As stated try an Airhawk it'll cost you a damn sight less than the just the shipping cost alone of a seat you still don't know will be comfortable. The Airhawk R has a channel for tailbone to alleviate pressure. A few pointers from others that have used them:

Airhawk 130 Euro on Amazon all in for Butt Nirvana!

You can then spend the inordinate amount of money you have saved on another 'must have' that you 'don't really need.'

???

Reactions: Malboo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Indeed it's an additional 200 dollars. It's not only the shipping but also the taxes and customs. We have a website where you can calculate this. I based it on a purchase of 500 dollars.
I have taken a look for the Airhawk, but there are many different opinions. I only ride for 1,5 hour max and do not drive on highways (after an 1,5 hour drive I'm in another country ?). It's mostly for riding on common roads in terrible condition (everybody knows the condition of the roads in Belgium). And then I think the Airhawk is overkill.

·
Rider
1,347 Posts
…... And then I think the Airhawk is overkill.
Hi Rikken,

Shipping costs and import taxes from the USA can be a deal killer. That is why I bought a seat base only for my other bike and had a custom seat built locally with the materials, foam density and gel inserts of my choice. I could then have it reworked if it didn't suit. Buying an untested seat from afar is a risky and can be a very costly business if after all that it is still not suitable?

I edited my post above to include a link to people who use the Airhawk. When you mention overkill it depends exactly what you are after? A seat that will cost you an inordinate amount of money ($700 on your base calculation) that you won't know will sort your problem or a highly recommended alternative that many people won't leave home without for a paltry $130? I still use my Airhawk on my Indian and it works. Airhawk Cruiser R is the model you should look at, it has channels specifically designed and cut aways that takes pressure off the tailbone. For me it's a no brainer, looks over comfort can be a difficult balance! Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an '18 bobber - at PCB bike week I had a custom seat made using the original.. I added memory foam, a small rise to the front so it blended evenly to the tank from the side, and put stingray over the top with boa on the sides.. way more comfortable with the memory foam, I ride for hours at a time and have no issues! best $400 I have spent!

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Thousands of dollars wasted, and Not one mention of the cheaper and more effective route of removing the tail bone from the equation via handle bars and upper body posture.....
Stock seat was torture until handle bar change. After, it's absolutely heavenly..
Seat and windshield posts are most entertaining to me.
So much spent on bandaides, when It cost less to just remove the issues completely via thoughtful upper body posture...
Use Judo...
Before thoughtful posture adjustment seat sucked and head was going to blow off in the wind. After, seat is perfect and head doesn't want to blow off.. can ride all day now with zero aches in both neck and tail bone...
Stock seat, no windshield.. all fixed fixed with a lowly cheap handle bar swap....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts