Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone upgrade their tail light or add additional lights. I think the Scout's tail light is mounted kind of low, maybe for the cool look. I'm also very aware of some Forum members adding lights to the license plate bracket, but that's even lower than our low mounted tail light. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on mounting a light up a bit higher, even to the passenger backrest. A recommendation on the brand of light would also be great as I understand not all lights are compatible with our bike. Be safe!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Anyone upgrade their tail light or add additional lights. I think the Scout's tail light is mounted kind of low, maybe for the cool look. I'm also very aware of some Forum members adding lights to the license plate bracket, but that's even lower than our low mounted tail light. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on mounting a light up a bit higher, even to the passenger backrest. A recommendation on the brand of light would also be great as I understand not all lights are compatible with our bike. Be safe!
I think lower is better since a driver approaching from behind will have the effect of thinking the taillight is closer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check out the Vololights thread. I installed them and they work well.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Check out Hyper-lites. Fairly easy install and work well.
Very true. Have one on my Red Bullet as I felt to brake lights on the Scout were a little dull. Some of the guys posted vids of themselves racing round the streets and that's when I thought I needed to do something. Very happy with the Hyper Lites and the comments I have had from other bikers here.
Alpal

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Check out the Vololights thread. I installed them and they work well.
Very good also but a little bit more complicated to install I heard. But hey, if you're a dab hand on the electrical front they could be your baby.
Alpal

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Very good also but a little bit more complicated to install I heard. But hey, if you're a dab hand on the electrical front they could be your baby.
Alpal
Actually, quite simple to install. Just posi tap them right into the +/- license plate lamp wires. Biggest pain is bundling them back up under the fender.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Actually, quite simple to install. Just posi tap them right into the +/- license plate lamp wires. Biggest pain is bundling them back up under the fender.
Yeah I used posi taps or locks or posi connects also. Alos discovered afterwards it is much easier to remove the guard/fender to do the wiring.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Thought I'd say that my issue with Vololights is that before I thought of adding extra lights I'd added an Arlen Ness plate
frame for $70 and wanted to keep it. The Hyper-lites worked out fine for my needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hello docbuck, I installed the vololights on my Scout, can you tell me what color wire's you spliced into for the electric hook up?
It is a white wire going to the license plate light. It takes some time to isolate but the job is straight forward after.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Hello docbuck, I installed the vololights on my Scout, can you tell me what color wire's you spliced into for the electric hook up?
You didn't get fitting instructions, wiring diagram?
Alpal

·
Registered
174 Posts
You didn't get fitting instructions, wiring diagram?
Alpal
It comes with simple, general instructions. The key is isolating the white & black wire going to the license plate light (avoid break light wires). The plate light is always on and if you splice in with posi connectors provided the light stays on. It is a pain to re-tape and wire tie the electrical bundle back. Took my 'fumble bunny' hands about an hour.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It comes with simple, general instructions. The key is isolating the white & black wire going to the license plate light (avoid break light wires). The plate light is always on and if you splice in with posi connectors provided the light stays on. It is a pain to re-tape and wire tie the electrical bundle back. Took my 'fumble bunny' hands about an hour.
Thanks for the quick reply, I had the red wire from the vololights spliced to the red on the harness. So the white wire on the harness is the hot wire for the license and the black wire is the ground? Yeah it's a tight spot to work in for sure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Take a look at the "LED" thread which presents a more detailed discussion of the Skene P3 taillights I just installed. The are super, super bright and I put them on all my bikes. I prove three pictures, the lights "off", the lights as running lights and the lights when the brakes are applied.

Attachments

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, I had the red wire from the vololights spliced to the red on the harness. So the white wire on the harness is the hot wire for the license and the black wire is the ground? Yeah it's a tight spot to work in for sure.
I had trouble with room , or the lack of when I fitted my hyper light. A little later on when I removed my rear fender I found that it would have been so much easier to do the job with fender off.
Alpal

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had trouble with room , or the lack of when I fitted my hyper light. A little later on when I removed my rear fender I found that it would have been so much easier to do the job with fender off.
Alpal
I agree to that, I can get to the wires OK I'm having trouble finding the hot wire to the license plate light?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi, Alpal. The fender does not have to be removed to install the Skene P3 lights. Just reach under the fender to remove the light assembly and place the logic module being the light assembly. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I really like the idea of the Vololights because they are suppose to flash when you are downshifting (decelerating) or stopped. (I like to downshift to slow down before I apply my breaks.) So this would give early warning to drivers behind me that I am slowing. However I have seen one video of them in action and was confused by them. They appeared to flash when up-shifting as well as when down-shifting and whenever the bike hit a bump. If I saw someone driving with this I would think there is something wrong with their lights. I understand there are different sensitivity settings for them but am concerned about their use.

mgg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts