Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that the new Octane has an optional Tach w/ shift light. Does anyone know if the Scout (60) has an optional physical tach? Or aftermarket suggestions?

Also, I read off Revzilla that thier pretty sure the digital tach is off on the Scout..... and might be off by a lot. Thoughts?

Not sure if this is true.... but if so, this has me worried. Mainly cause I have been using the digital tach to help me break her in. Now I have almost 500 miles..... no going back now.

Cheers!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would it worry you? Are you bracket racing?
No, I purchased her for leisure/fun but I have learned in all the bikes I've owned (and other racing hobbies) how critical the first 25-50 miles are ..... and at least the few hundred miles after that.

Basically, just extra peace of mind for me to know that I did all I could to break her in right. So I can than ride her like I stole it....lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just ride reasonable... don't over-rev.
My thoughts exactly! From the info I seen.... we could be looking at 1.5k rpm difference. If I set my goal not to exceed 4500, I could have been doing 6k. Not good! :(

Again, not worried so after break-in .... but during break-in.... I am concerned. Not that I can do anything now.

Anyways, One way to test this out is install a physical Tach. I actually find it hard to believe that Indian or any Motorcycle Mfg would allow such a difference, but pictures don't lie.

On Harley I am use to the speed being always off by a few mph....but RPM's like this?

Speedometer Tachometer Gauge Measuring instrument Vehicle

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
I could be wrong but I think they purposely add a delay to a digital tach otherwise the number would be changing so fast and often it be just a blur.

Reactions: Jackson

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Just to play Devil's advocate, how do you know that the add-on tach is the one with the correct reading? If it's an inductive pick-up from the plug wires, or connected to the coil signal wire, it is counting spark pulses. Some modern ignitions use multi-spark systems, and some ignitions fire both plugs on every revolution. Where did the add-on tach come from, and is it accurate and properly programmed?

All that taken into consideration, the digital read out on the dash does update slower than the engine revs on my Classic, I can see and hear the lag in the readout vs the engine speed. At steady state cruising though I believe it to be right on the money. After all, it's reading the same sensors used to determine when to fire the plugs, so if it's running those sensors have to be reading correctly.

·
Registered
955 Posts
just go by the digital tacho like you've been doing, that's what Indian intended. You're overthinking this one!

on the Victory I would trust the original digital rather than the analogue.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Basically, just extra peace of mind for me to know that I did all I could to break her in right. So I can than ride her like I stole it....lol[/QUOTE]

I thought that WAS how you broke them in...? ;):)

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
You need a tachometer for what? :p
Not much IMO. You shift by sound not by what the tach says. They are just fun numbers to look at.
When I rode sport bikes they were great for shifting at red line when you were racing. Not going to happen on my Indian.

Reactions: black9ice
1 - 15 of 15 Posts