Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a new Indian rider and just came from three Victory bikes. I’m in the market for pipes. I bought a new 2019 Chieftain Limited and was wondering if the TAB Performance pipes with the Zombie baffles would leave your‘s or your passenger’s ringing after 6-7hrs of riding?

i appreciate your opinions here!

Lutch

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dont find them too loud. I think its because they extend so far behind the rider. A passenger may though. The medium baffle is reasonably priced, and if purchased with the pipes does not add too much to freight.
I ordered Zombie baffled pipes and the medium baffles as a precaution as I live in Australia and the freight for the baffles if sent at a later date would have been double that of the baffles.
New medium baffles still unopened in box. Zombies is fine for me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I first got mine, I thought oh no.....these are too loud. That was hearing them in the shop. Got the bike outside and they now are enough to turn a head, but not where I hurt my ears. I wouldn’t want them any louder, but traveling at 60 mph, half shell helmet, ear plugs and windshield up (I have a Chieftain Classic), I can hear the stock speakers nicely at level 4 volume.
Now, with my Indian 3/4 helmet that I wear when the temps are in the lower 50’s and down, it seems like the pipes are louder for some reason. Might just be the way the helmet puts pressure on the ear plugs or something.
I had RC exhaust on my 14 Street Glide. These for sure give more volume. They remind me more of the Vance & Hines staggered pipes I had on a 13 Fatboy (if any of these references make sense).
I’m still in the first 1000 miles of my bike, but don’t plan on changing baffles at all. The guys I ride with say the bike sounds fantastic (also have Stage 2 cams, air filter and Powervision tuned). However, if they are riding behind me, they make sure they have ear plugs in (which are smart to wear anyway no matter the sound for wind noise purposes).
Hope this helps!

·
Rider
1,007 Posts
No ringing after 2+ hrs continuous rides.
If you wear half helmet or thin 3/4 helmet, u can use ear plugs for you and the passengers if too loud. I did that occasionally with my 3/4 helmet.
With my full face helmet I do not feel I need the ear plugs. They sound just perfect through the FF helmet.

By far the best sounding pipes on any of the bikes I ride with (all Harleys)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you fellas!

·
Rider
840 Posts
Same, I have the Zombies and they are loud when you're getting on it but highway cruising isn't bad at all. For long rides I use earplugs mostly to combat the fatigue of wind noise.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My wife never complains, They sound amazing and are nice and low when your not cracking it hard.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will second that! LOL!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Don't forget you can always go half-zombie - I have a TAB zombie baffle on the left side, and a TAB regular baffle on the right. It's a nice blend of "woof!" and "bark!".

·
Bronze member
1,461 Posts
I dont find them too loud. I think its because they extend so far behind the rider. A passenger may though. The medium baffle is reasonably priced, and if purchased with the pipes does not add too much to freight.
I ordered Zombie baffled pipes and the medium baffles as a precaution as I live in Australia and the freight for the baffles if sent at a later date would have been double that of the baffles.
New medium baffles still unopened in box. Zombies is fine for me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Watch out for the Qld cops, they carry boners for loud-pipe bikes.
I'm safe-ish in WA, so long as the arse end isn't screaming they look the other way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought my TABs with the medium baffles and at first I didn't notice any difference from stock. After contacting TAB, they recommended pulling the baffles out and cutting off the fiberglass packing. I did so and immediately noticed a difference. They are louder than stock, but not "too" loud.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts