Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.... I received the TAB 2-1-2 stainless steel crossover pipe for the 2020 Challenger today via UPS from Gregory Polaris. Although the pipe had a locking nut welded in place on the left support, I must say that I'm slightly disappointed a new clamp wasn't included at the 2-1 opening for this $400.00 dollar purchase. I'm assuming that you have to use the OEM clamp that was on the catalytic converter to connect it to the head pipe. In the next few days I'll replace the Sideshows Cycles War Cry pipe I have on the bike now with the new TAB Crossover. I was just wondering about the clamp not being included, since the War Cry pipe had came complete with a new clamp.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So on Thursday (May 14th, 2020) afternoon I happily started installing the new TAB 2-1-2 Crossover decat pipe yesterday on the Challenger, after easily removing the Sideshows Cycles War Cry pipe. The TAB Crossover pipe fitted over the OEM header pipe and bolted right onto the bike without any fitting or alignment issues. Then I installed the right side TAB Performance Slip-on exhaust as well however, when I tried to install the left side slip-on exhaust there was two (2)-separate issues I had noticed almost immediately.

As I lined up the left side slip-on exhaust to the crossover pipe I noticed that the the crossover pipe was pointing slightly to the the right or towards the rear tire in lieu of being straight. Then I discovered that the slip-on exhaust didn't want to fit over the crossover pipe on this same side either. The slip-on pipe not fitting onto the new crossover pipe was not due to the slip-on pipe having any clamp crimping marks, dents or being out-of-roundness or due to it being previously mounted/installed onto the War Cry pipe. The TAB Crossover pipe OD (outside diameter) seemed to be a bit too large to allow the slip-on exhaust to slide/fit over it. I check this issue by slimply re-inserting the War Cry into the slip-on opening as a test and it went right back in.

If you look at the photographs I previously posted or the one bellow of the TAB Crossover pipe you will noticed that it was welded together right at the middle of the pipe and again at the far left side after the muonting support hangar with the nut on it. These separate welds might have something to do with it being slighty off center and also not fitting on the left side exhaust due to the different sections of pipe could possibly have been from different stock and slightly different OD sizes. I even tried forcing the slip-on exhaust onto the TAB Crossover using a large and heavy dead blow (soft) hammer but to no avail it would not fit. :mad:

The only way the existing slip-on exhaust was going to fit over and onto the TAB Crossover pipe on the left side properly was if I could expand the ID of the existing slip-on exhaust opening. So I ordered a 1.1/2" - 2.1/2" tail pipe expander from O'Reilly's Auto Parts (no other auto parts store in my area had one in stock) which will be delivered directly to my home sometime on Friday....

Don't misunderstand me or the post made here. I'm not complaining about the quality of the new TAB Crossover. The pipe obviously had taken valuable time to design and develop. It's fabricated with stainless Steel and the welding is excellent. In hind sight, I also like the idea that you can reuse the factory header pipe clamp when connecting the new Crossover to it and most of all, the new crossover pipe has plenty of clearance/space between the crossover underneath section and the drive belt. Not forgetting to mention that this new pipe actually inproves both HP & Torque numbers too!

Here Comes Trouble... 2020 Challenger / Thunder Black Pearl

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After making the ID adjustment (via a tail pipe expander tool) to my slip-on exhaust system, I was able to easily install the TAB Performance BAM Stick to the the TAB Crossover pipe. With any new modification, even a simple bolt-on item, you have to be aware and understand that not everything will be perfect or go exactly as (advertised) planned. Yes.... I would of preferred that the new Crossover pipe would of mounted without any issues but I'm extremely happy that I was able to make a small adjustment and complete the overall installation.

The Sideshows Cycles War Cry had its own issue as well. I had to make adjustments to the mounting support flange bolt holes in order to mount it onto the Challenger properly. I didn't contact Gregory Polaris after my discovery for a couple of reasons...... One: I have already waited since late February for the item to be delivered. Two: After understanding what the issue was that I needed to correct, I made the decision to make the minor adjustment myself and save all of the hassle and time of sending the part back to Gregory Polaris for adjustments and again waiting for it to be returned or redelivered with almost no guarantee that it would be a perfect fit anyways. I guess I'm just old fashion, I don't mind getting my hands dirty and I can sincerely appreciate the satisfaction of completing the job myself. It also helps that I have both a mechanical and machinist background and have always loved working on my motorcycles.

By the way, the new TAB Crossover pipe sounds great too and I believe it's a superior product and safer design over the War Cry which sells for the same price...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts