Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gregory Polaris and TAB Performance have been working closely together and have colborated on making a new Crossover pipe for the 2020 Challenger that will eliminate the factory crossover pipe with the catalytic converter. I spoke to Ron Gregory today and he told me they are taking preorders right now for $400.00 plus shipping. They are only going to make 200 units for the first run production. They have dyno tested it on both a bone stock Challenger and one with a Stage 1 w/exhaust slip-on system and its making an additional 7hp and 4-lbs more in torque. You simply reuse all of the factory clamps, bolts and gaskets for the installation of the new Crossover pipe. I can only imagine that it would help with the exhaust note (quality of sound) as well.

Challenger w/Stage-1

Challenger - Bone Stock

Order Mine today, lead time is 6 to 8 weeks out. I was told they are only making 200 units on the first run so if you're interested in this easy bolt-on modification I suggest you call Rob at Gregory Polaris 501-834-0344 now.

·
Bronze member
2,568 Posts
This is just a pipe that replaces the space formally taken up by the cat converter...connecting the left side exhaust to the right side for $400. While I’m sure it’s well made, seems a little pricey for a piece of pipe...unless I’m missing something. By comparison, a Fuel Moto header for the 111 is $400.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TigerGA you are absolutely correct, my first thoughs were the same that $400.00 for a crossover pipe was a bit pricy. However, you still have to consider their research, planning, fabrication, fitting and testing time invested with the actual development of the crossover pipe. I could only assume they are trying to recoop some of their joint expenses and of course make a profit too. Even though this was a joint venture by TAB & GP we don't know who possibly financed the development and I'm thinking it might of been Gregory Polaris and thats why they are selling them (first 200 units) right now in lieu of Tab Performance.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,826 Posts
I would reckon this cat delete pipe would also reduce some weight as well as reduce heat. That alone is probably reason enough to buy for some folks whether or not there are any performance gains.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would reckon this cat delete pipe would also reduce some weight as well as reduce heat. That alone is probably reason enough to buy for some folks whether or not there are any performance gains.

I agree, it's always helpful to reduce vehicle weight, especially on motorcycles for numerous reasons. I don't know who actually performed the dyno test on both a stock Challenger and one with a stage-1 however, they both produced the same increased results according to their statement of +7hp & +4lbs., of Torque. You have to like that, reducing weight of the bike and gaining increase engine performance. When I remove my CAT pipe assembly off of the Challenger I'm going to weigh it just to see how much the CAT pipe actually weighs in comparison to the new TAB Crossover pipe.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I see the Dyno videos, but my question is how the bike will run for us common layman. Will the VCM or ECM have a small child because of the change? Jus askin

·
Registered
458 Posts
I see the Dyno videos, but my question is how the bike will run for us common layman. Will the VCM or ECM have a small child because of the change? Jus askin
It's hard to say, but it shouldn't because unlike a car it does not have O2 sensors after the cat.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
It's hard to say, but it shouldn't because unlike a car it does not have O2 sensors after the cat.
I agree, but opening up that much free flow exhaust may affect my current Stage 1 tune. Time will tell as I am not the guinea pig on this mod. Once Dynojet gets on board with a tuner I will jump on the bandwagon.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I agree, but opening up that much free flow exhaust may affect my current Stage 1 tune. Time will tell as I am not the guinea pig on this mod. Once Dynojet gets on board with a tuner I will jump on the bandwagon.
I agree with you. I think this bike will benefit huge from a good tune. I actually had a guy PM me on FB saying he helped develop the engine. He said the dead spot in the throttle is a lean spot. They had no choice because they couldn't get it to pass emissions. If this is true there is a lot left on the table with this bike.

·
Bronze member
1,468 Posts
Jay, I believe this is the SAME set-up that Gregory Polaris has "designed and engineered" for our Challengers as the HP and TQ claims are exactly the same. And interestingly, the price is the SAME as well.....less shipping costs. I wonder if demand was a little "soft" from GP on the initial run of these delete pipes, so he decided to add another vendor here. Maybe? I do know that GP worked on this design in conjunction with TAB Performance and TAB will be making a production run of these and selling as well. The units from GP are in production....as far as I know, none have been shipped. Interesting that DB has some for sale. I think ALL of these guys are connected at the hip somewhere along the line, as how many different versions of cross-over pipes can you design for the SAME bike??!!??!!? Any thoughts from other Challenger owners? I know some of you have already ordered the cross-over pipe from GP. Still waiting for ship date.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Jay, I believe this is the SAME set-up that Gregory Polaris has "designed and engineered" for our Challengers as the HP and TQ claims are exactly the same. And interestingly, the price is the SAME as well.....less shipping costs. I wonder if demand was a little "soft" from GP on the initial run of these delete pipes, so he decided to add another vendor here. Maybe? I do know that GP worked on this design in conjunction with TAB Performance and TAB will be making a production run of these and selling as well. The units from GP are in production....as far as I know, none have been shipped. Interesting that DB has some for sale. I think ALL of these guys are connected at the hip somewhere along the line, as how many different versions of cross-over pipes can you design for the SAME bike??!!??!!? Any thoughts from other Challenger owners? I know some of you have already ordered the cross-over pipe from GP. Still waiting for ship date.
I did not notice that it was the same, and the same price. Good to know.
I don't think DB i s selling them, I think he is advertising them for Sideshow cycles. That's what I gathered from the Instagram post.
I think most are waiting for a tuner to became available, that will be the game changer.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Take it from someone who did the muffler to headpipe thing on a TS111. I have a now stage 2 plus Springfield dark horse sitting next to my stage 1 Challenger with TAB mufflers, not Indian ovals. When I dumped my stock head pipes and replaced them with CAT delete headers, my bike ran like shit. I got a PV-CX tuner from Fuel Moto with a tune that was close to what I had but not only was my header just a cat delete, Fuel Moto told me that I had to send them my personal ECM stock program so they could add their upgrade in an effort to duplicate the results they did with their pipe. The results were less than stellar. Every indian is a little different. I ended up bringing my bike to Dynojet and having them tune it. It was a major improvement. Throttle response, gas mileage, and general drivability. Max HP and Torque numbers don't tell the story. Right now, there is no way to tune the bike outside of Polaris' stage 1 tune for mufflers and their intake. Current power is excellent. The biggest improvement you could possibly make at this time would be to get rid of the 110 mile speed limiter. With stage 1 this bike should be able to exceed 130 at 5200 rpm based on my calculations. Tuemrn the traction control off and you can do a burn out or forget the front wheel a little bit off the ground. Yes, e eventually this motor can be made into a monster, but don't screw it up before someone who is in the business does some real world testing and stands behind what they are selling you. I can guarantee if your VCM goes haywire from sensing no back pressure, and your check engine light goes off and your bike quits, that Polaris is not going to cover it under warranty. Take advantage of your warranty. Dont abuse it. This is a new engine with little road testing. And in hot weather testing yet. Let's see how it holds up in 110 degree weather and let Dynojet, Lloydz, and Fuel Moto put this bike through some tests to see how it holds up under heat, how the clutch holds up to an extra 20 hp and if these changes can be handled by the ECM with a programmer. That is IF they can hack it.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts