Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Is anyone else having starting issues?

• yes

Votes: 74 61.7%
  • no

Votes: 46 38.3%
1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2016 Scout ABS, about 2200 miles purchased in September of 2016. It came with stage 1 KD pipes. No other engine mods in play here. Lately, it has had difficulty starting. The starter may cycle up to two times before it starts. Why I say cycle I mean I push the stater button and let go. Took it to the dealer. The replaced the battery (I keep it on a tender) because it was on the low end of voltage but still okay, they did an ECM software update (I did not get any notification from the dealer one was out or mine needed it, hummm), and that did not fully fix the issue.

I called the dealer a week later since I did not hear from them and they explained the Scout has a design issue with the Starter. The starter is undergoing a redesign, and this is a systemic problem. Although they disassembled mine, cleaned it, applied new grease to the brushes, commutator was fine, it still has the issue. They said when Indian gets the new design they will issue a recall. A couple of times before I brought mine in I was worried it would not start. Ones it's warm, it starts easier.

Left the dealership with my bike today because there was nothing more they could do and 2.5 miles later I got a check engine light and and it was running like it was dying. Prior to the engine light the fan kicked on so I know it was at least 205 degrees F. I called the dealer and they came right away to pick it up. Not sure what will happen now, although they offered to make me a great deal to upgrade. Lol. I might have to see how great a deal. That's like the doctor saying you will feel a little pressure before the feeling of a broken femur comes along.

I aim to update this post when I know more. Really disappointed in this. My first Indian and 8 months into the bike I'm already having issues. But I do like this bike.

Blessings,
Greg R.

·
Silver member
3,642 Posts
We own 2 Scout 60's. My 2016's got about 4k miles no problems yet with starter. My wife's 2017 is brand new, so a little early to judge, but no problems.

The only starting issue is that after I run with the low fuel light on for a while, it might not start on the first try. I think the second try has always worked. I now will take it off the stand and start it in upright position to make sure the fuel level is OK over the fuel intake. But this is not a starter issue

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 2016 Scout ABS, about 2200 miles purchased in September of 2016. It came with stage 1 KD pipes. No other engine mods in play here. Lately, it has had difficulty starting. The starter may cycle up to two times before it starts. Why I say cycle I mean I push the stater button and let go. Took it to the dealer. The replaced the battery (I keep it on a tender) because it was on the low end of voltage but still okay, they did an ECM software update (I did not get any notification from the dealer one was out or mine needed it, hummm), and that did not fully fix the issue.

I called the dealer a week later since I did not hear from them and they explained the Scout has a design issue with the Starter. The starter is undergoing a redesign, and this is a systemic problem. Although they disassembled mine, cleaned it, applied new grease to the brushes, commutator was fine, it still has the issue. They said when Indian gets the new design they will issue a recall. A couple of times before I brought mine in I was worried it would not start. Ones it's warm, it starts easier.

Left the dealership with my bike today because there was nothing more they could do and 2.5 miles later I got a check engine light and and it was running like it was dying. Prior to the engine light the fan kicked on so I know it was at least 205 degrees F. I called the dealer and they came right away to pick it up. Not sure what will happen now, although they offered to make me a great deal to upgrade. Lol. I might have to see how great a deal. That's like the doctor saying you will feel a little pressure before the feeling of a broken femur comes along.

I aim to update this post when I know more. Really disappointed in this. My first Indian and 8 months into the bike I'm already having issues. But I do like this bike.

Blessings,
Greg R.
@is2messiah - if you do a search you will find several threads about the well known starter issue(s) - many start to fail around 1700 miles - cold weather and humidity make things worse.
Indian is well aware of the problem and in fact issued a new part # over a year ago for the starter.
The new starters must not be much better because Parts guys said "Polaris indian" is working on a replacement that should be available in 30 days" that was spoken to me end of april 2017 and still no new starter part #.
I made them replace the bad one (under warranty) and fully expect that this new starter will be replaced under warranty again within 3000 more miles? hard to tell, some last longer. Ebay offers some starters for sale at $158.00 and $168.00 dollars, but, these may be the bad starters getting pulled from the shelves?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have what I call a Cold blooded Scout. Starting cycles are proportional to the out side temperature, the colder it is the cycle number increases. I have replaced the battery. If the temperature is above say 55 then she will start in one cycle. I don't have a garage so its kept outside covered up. I plan on tinning the cables this summer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your posts. I called the Dealer (because they: Big Tex Indian® Motorcycle Denton, TX | Texas' Premier Indian® Motorcycle Dealership | Featuring New & Pre-Owned motorcycles as well as Service and Financing can't seem to call me) and was told the bike as an air bubble in it and they need to get a special vacuum tool to eliminate it. They said theirs was inoperative. I just assumed the dealer would have test rode it for a few miles before having me take it. If I don't hear form the dealer in a day or two, I'll call them. Live and learn as they say.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
I have a first run Scout. No problems with starting. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I hope they get yours fix soon.
My first run is Vin 296 and has no starter problems but my friend with Vin 304 is currently having starter problems. Seems it is a world wide fault.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
I have a 2016 Scout ABS, about 2200 miles purchased in September of 2016. It came with stage 1 KD pipes. No other engine mods in play here. Lately, it has had difficulty starting. The starter may cycle up to two times before it starts. Why I say cycle I mean I push the stater button and let go.
That's exactly how it starts. Either the starter draws too much or too little current. Both create starter issues that are just as you have described...

I called the dealer a week later since I did not hear from them and they explained the Scout has a design issue with the Starter. The starter is undergoing a redesign, and this is a systemic problem. They said when Indian gets the new design they will issue a recall.
Great, so all of us that got our starters replaced under warranty, will get to go through it again once they actually fix the problem and issue the recall. Wonderful...

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
That's exactly how it starts. Either the starter draws too much or too little current. Both create starter issues that are just as you have described...

Great, so all of us that got our starters replaced under warranty, will get to go through it again once they actually fix the problem and issue the recall. Wonderful...
So, if an issue is discovered with Svout starters but they can't tell from production number where it issue started and finished that would mean that EVERY Scout will get a new starter, whether it's given problems or not?,....yeah?
Alpal

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Not looking forward to any recall that would require trailering my Scout to the repair shop and might take days to fix.
This is the newest motorcycle I ever bought, wanting it to be a trouble-free one. Had many years with used motorcycles that only needed minor things done... never taken in for repairs... until my old Yamaha stator quit on me last year.

So the dilemma for me will be whether or not to risk missing the recall if nothing seems wrong with it. Which I guess some of you are already thinking about too.
And I'm wondering if there would be a time-frame limit for getting it done.

Maybe thinking of this too much in advance, unless we must take this starter recall seriously and not just a rumor for now. Sorry, I'm a disbeliever from way back about anything.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Thanks everyone for your posts. I called the Dealer (because they: Big Tex Indian® Motorcycle Denton, TX | Texas' Premier Indian® Motorcycle Dealership | Featuring New & Pre-Owned motorcycles as well as Service and Financing can't seem to call me) and was told the bike as an air bubble in it and they need to get a special vacuum tool to eliminate it. They said theirs was inoperative. I just assumed the dealer would have test rode it for a few miles before having me take it. If I don't hear form the dealer in a day or two, I'll call them. Live and learn as they say.
@is2messiah - somebody is blowing a lot of smoke up your britches - call Polaris indian direct and place a warranty claim and stay on them. They may not like it but it's the only way to get things fixed when the dealer is a douche.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
@is2messiah - somebody is blowing a lot of smoke up your britches - call Polaris indian direct and place a warranty claim and stay on them. They may not like it but it's the only way to get things fixed when the dealer is a douche.
Actually it makes perfect sense I think. Many a dealer has messed with the coolant and not had the required suction pump to fix things. How you can be an Indian dealer and not have that piece of equipment is beyond me...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Actually it makes perfect sense I think. Many a dealer has messed with the coolant and not had the required suction pump to fix things. How you can be an Indian dealer and not have that piece of equipment is beyond me...
If they had to buy each and every specialized piece of equipment for every improbable use that would probably be beyond them.

Even to know beforehand which out of the array of specialized equipment would be needed is beyond them.

Dealers most probably assumed, just based on their experience with skads of vehicles, all their lives, that you could simply fill via radiator and jug, the same way you do every other water cooled machine in this world, and it would work. I did.

Didn't you?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi All,

Blessings,
Greg R.
Same problem. It doesn't happen often but it is a concern. Will watch for update.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
If they had to buy each and every specialized piece of equipment for every improbable use that would probably be beyond them.

Even to know beforehand which out of the array of specialized equipment would be needed is beyond them.

Dealers most probably assumed, just based on their experience with skads of vehicles, all their lives, that you could simply fill via radiator and jug, the same way you do every other water cooled machine in this world, and it would work. I did.

Didn't you?
You used the word assumed... you know what that means... it's the mother of all disappointments...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update 5-15-17. Bike is back in the shop. It sometimes takes 5 cycles to start and i did not want to get stranded. I called Indian Corporate, opened a case, and here is their reply in part, "The starter for your Scout part number 2413550 has been superseded to 4017209, and they are available now." So my dealer ordered a new starter. They also tried to sell me a new bike. No surprise there. Hope the new starter fixes the issue. It's all still covered on my warranty as the bike only has 2500 miles in it and is 9 months old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also started experiencing this issue over the last two months. Took it in today, new p/n starter is on back order until 5/26. They are submitting it as a warranty issue. My dealer has seen about 3 of them come in like this.

1 - 20 of 268 Posts