Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rider
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the demo day for a new dealer in Bremerton, WA today and noticed that the saddlebag leather on the 2019 Chief felt thicker and stiffer than the leather on my 2015 Vintage (some of us have reinforced the interior outboard side of the saddlebags with kydex to prevent punctures from the inside-out). A couple of questions came to mind but everyone at the dealer was so busy I didn't get a chance to ask.

So here goes . . .
  1. Are the saddlebags on the 2019 interchangeable with other model years?
  2. Do the 2019 saddlebags use the same quick quick release system or something else?
  3. Is the quick release on the saddlebags an option for 2019 and if so, how else do the bags attach?
I know - I have way too much time on my hands.

By the way @R993, I had several riders come up to me and ask where I got the Indian Motorcycle 1901 headress logo medallions on my frame neck! What a great idea!

TR

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,603 Posts
I'm thinking the newer leather is some sort of bonded or laminated product. Not purely real animal hides as in the past. Correct me if I'm mistaken on this.

·
Rider
816 Posts
Probably wasting your time here but it is my understanding that at least with the hard bag models, quick release is a thing of the past now.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Big Blue leather.jpg
I'm thinking the newer leather is some sort of bonded or laminated product. Not purely real animal hides as in the past. Correct me if I'm mistaken on this.
Only the '14 Vintages had full grain cowhide, also know as full aniline leather. Later years used some form of semi-aniline leather (either a split hide or perhaps bonded scraps of endoderm) covered with a vinyl-type coating and embossed to look like leather. Polaris switched to semi-aniline in 2015 after owners who did not know how to care for the leather complained of fading. To each their own, but for those who are not drawn to the "labor of love" in taking care of full-grain cowhide, the semi-aniline certainly requires less care and is largely fade-proof, although it is subject to abrasion that is nearly impossible to fix. Semi-aniline "leather" is almost universally used in the auto industry. Whatever they are using on the 2019s, you can be assured they did not back up to use full aniline leather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts