Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently install new rear suspension on my Bobber. Wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be but now I just need to learn how to tune them. Nonetheless, I seem to have run into a minor complication. Because I use spacers between the frame and the new shocks, the top exhaust no longer fits on the bike proper... or at all actually. 😏 I felt the spacers were necessary to give the gas reservoir attached to the shock, sufficient clearance from the frame of the bike (more so on the right side). The last thing I’d want is to damage the shocks in any way by allowing it to bang against the frame. I did realize that adding the spacers might compromise the support that the OEM bolts offered so I replaced them w/ a longer bolt that threads deeper into the hole.

I was intending to upgrade the exhaust to a 2-in-1 (Hacker Mayhem) which will effectively eliminate the problem but since the exhaust I have in mind isn’t cheap, I wasn’t intending to do it right away. But it seems I am going to have to replace the exhaust sooner than I expected in order to get it back to riding condition.

Any feedback on the shock upgrade? I am totally happy w/ the aesthetics, I am just wondering if spacing the shocks 3/4” to an inch away from the bike my be problematic in any unforeseen way, apart from what I mentioned about the exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I recently install new rear suspension on my Bobber. Wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be but now I just need to learn how to tune them. Nonetheless, I seem to have run into a minor complication. Because I use spacers between the frame and the new shocks, the top exhaust no longer fits on the bike proper... or at all actually. 😏 I felt the spacers were necessary to give the gas reservoir attached to the shock, sufficient clearance from the frame of the bike (more so on the right side). The last thing I’d want is to damage the shocks in any way by allowing it to bang against the frame. I did realize that adding the spacers might compromise the support that the OEM bolts offered so I replaced them w/ a longer bolt that threads deeper into the hole.

I was intending to upgrade the exhaust to a 2-in-1 (Hacker Mayhem) which will effectively eliminate the problem but since the exhaust I have in mind isn’t cheap, I wasn’t intending to do it right away. But it seems I am going to have to replace the exhaust sooner than I expected in order to get it back to riding condition.

Any feedback on the shock upgrade? I am totally happy w/ the aesthetics, I am just wondering if spacing the shocks 3/4” to an inch away from the bike my be problematic in any unforeseen way, apart from what I mentioned about the exhaust.
BTW, if anyone’s interested, I’ll be selling those Freedom slip-on exhaust for a modest price as soon as I can get the replacement exhaust from Hacker Mayhem.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Looks like you have spaced them out a little more than you needed to. I would move them back a little bit towards the frame and make room for the exhaust.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you have spaced them out a little more than you needed to. I would move them back a little bit towards the frame and make room for the exhaust.
I agree. I was being a little zealous in wanting to protect the shocks for contacting the frame. I took the spacers completely off the left side where the reservoir has at least a 1/2” gap between it and the frame. However, on the right side I went from two spacers down to one. That half in spacer is required to keep the reservoir from bumping up against the frame. Even with that 1/2” spacer there’s only about 1/8” clearance between the reservoir and the frame which should be fine. With everything bolted down, there should be nowhere in that area where components move an 1/8” vertical anyway. With that said, the top slip-on is closer to proper fitment but not quite meaning I can’t put it back on. It’ll slip on but it’s about 3/4” away from the bracket where it supposed to fasten down on the rear.

There’s no way around it. In order for the slip-on to fit, I’d have to remove the spacer, bolt the shock on, and twist the reservoir slightly sideways so that it clears the frame. Not sure that would be a proper install although that potentially might work. I was going to replace the exhaust anyways so now sooner than later.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts