Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 2015 vintage. Love everything about it except a loud knock that comes from the rear end of the bike when the suspension bottoms up. The dealer assured me this is not uncommon and suggested putting additional grease on the top rear suspension pin.
Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue and will the grease solve the problem.

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
Mine started doing that after I lowered it, never at stock height...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
Let me be the first to say Welcome to the Tribe Tony au!

I don't ride a Vintage - and that is ONLY because I'm married and my loverly bride desires the Roadmaster as her chariot.
I'm sure you will get some feedback soon - lots of knowledgeable folks around here.

Reactions: Tony au

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Yup, mine did the same thing when I first got it. I adjusted the shock/spring preload two full revolutions stiffer. Problem solved. Jack up the bike to take the weight off the rear shock, then use either a shock spanner wrench (kind for a tight space to get a spanner in there) or a length of steel bar stock and a hammer to rotate the collar.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've never used a spanner. I presume there are different sizes. What size is needed for the shock?

Sent from my IBM Selectric

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that everyone i will try adjusting the spring a little.
Glad to hear it isn't a big deal and i should be able to stop the problem.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was thinking about going to see my dealer next week for the same problem. But I will try to adjust my rear shock before.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
I've never used a spanner. I presume there are different sizes. What size is needed for the shock?

Sent from my IBM Selectric
I bought cheap spanner and ended up not using it because of the limited space under the seat. If you have very large old screw driver, blunt it down on a bench grinder or you can use a ⅜" socket extension bar and the tap it with a hammer.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The banging you hear is the top shock pin..It is very loose in the frame bore....It is the pin you pull to drop swing arm to remove axle and tire..... To check it for yourself, you can raise bike up so rear wheel is off the ground, remove left top side cover and have someone move rear wheel up .....You will see that pin move in the frame bore......:cool::cool::cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts