Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have mentioned some of this in other threads.

Decided to kick this off before going to the movies ( Shaw and Hobbs )

I decided to go with 17 inch BST wheels for better performance.

The OEM rear tire only had 40 Deg at the edge as measured with a pendulum angle device.

When I 1st ran the FTR at Palomar, I got " All The Tire " on the front, which has more curvature.

In doing this, I ran off the edge of the rear tire and stepped the rear out a bit in a tight corner.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indian rates the FTR at 43 deg. max lean angle.

I wanted more.

The current rear tire has 55 deg to the edge, and got all of that last Sunday.

Rear Tire, Q 3.jpg

Rear Tire, Q 3

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 17 inch wheels lowered the rear 1/2 an inch, and the front 1 inch.

The OEM suspension was too soft to suit me, so I killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

I adjusted the rear shock 1/4 inch more on the preload which gave it a 1/2 inch or more lift.

The lift ratio is usually 2 : 1 , or more in single shock designs.

This offset the lowering effect of the 17 inch rear.

The front was way soft with over 2 inch sag.

Come to find out the fork springs are not only progressive, but have 3 different spring rates.

The preload was so soft, that I could take the fork apart without a spring compressing tool.

I made 15 mm internal spacers that got me from 50 mm sag at mid adjustment to 35 mm.

This, along with moving the fork tubes down to flush at the top clamp ( 14 mm ) for a total of 29 mm.

This offset the 1 inch drop the 17 inch front wheel caused.

Bike is now same seat height and fork angle as when it had the OEM wheels.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike steers plenty quick, especially if I am trail braking into a corner .

This compresses the forks, making the effective neck angle steeper.

Bike has good cornering clearance , even when I tag the peg feelers a bit.

·
Silver member
5,115 Posts
Do the speedo, abs and tcs still work normally (do they recalibrate?), or does the speedo now have an extra 10% error?

(With a built in gps module it’s technically possible to have the speedo recalibrate itself, but I kinda doubt if that logic was built in. Same with abs, some system can adapt themselves to different tire diameters)

Great stuff dude!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great work. I definitely am interested in going the same route with mine, so I'm glad to see someone else try it first lol.

Just wish the "sport package" from the factory was something like this instead of being little carbon fiber trim bits.

·
Bronze member
1,581 Posts
50mm of sag was definitely waaaaay too much, 35mm is right in the ball park! Sounds like you got a whole new beast there!!!

I have had carbon fiber wheels on my Busa since bout 2000. First set were Dymag 3 spoke. The spokes were so wide that out on the road with those wheels spinning up there was little open area for wind and gusts to get thru, and that Busa was gettin blown around. Few times a gust would cause the wheels to get blow out from under me...NOT FUN!!! I was ordering Dymags from England for a customer and in one of the boxes was a brochure for BST wheels and I said ...wooooo.

I have had BST wheels since 2001, I did have the first front wheel hub come loose that was replaced under warrantee, and have sold many sets thru the years. Good stuff for sure. The wheels take 16 pnds off the skoot which is like close to 40 pnds of an affect.

Enjoy ur skoot!!!

RACNRAY

·
Silver member
5,115 Posts
Btw, just asking. I’ve been riding alloads mainly for the past 15-20 years, and a rule of thumb on allroads was that rider sag should be around ⅓ of total suspension travel.

That different on the FTR?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Btw, just asking. I’ve been riding alloads mainly for the past 15-20 years, and a rule of thumb on allroads was that rider sag should be around ⅓ of total suspension travel.

That different on the FTR?
1/3 rd , maybe, on a touring bike, or a dirt bike .

20 to 25 % on a sport bike.

I like 30 to 35 mm, which is a bit on the soft side, since Palomar Mtn roads are a bit bumpy. >

The shorter sag also helps with cornering clearance. .

" Rule Of Thumb " from Olde English Law, RE : Not to beat wife with stick of larger diameter than your thumb. :eek:

FWIW: Been riding and wrenching for 52 years. 67 years old, now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
50mm of sag was definitely waaaaay too much, 35mm is right in the ball park! Sounds like you got a whole new beast there!!!

I have had carbon fiber wheels on my Busa since bout 2000. First set were Dymag 3 spoke. The spokes were so wide that out on the road with those wheels spinning up there was little open area for wind and gusts to get thru, and that Busa was gettin blown around. Few times a gust would cause the wheels to get blow out from under me...NOT FUN!!! I was ordering Dymags from England for a customer and in one of the boxes was a brochure for BST wheels and I said ...wooooo.

I have had BST wheels since 2001, I did have the first front wheel hub come loose that was replaced under warrantee, and have sold many sets thru the years. Good stuff for sure. The wheels take 16 pnds off the skoot which is like close to 40 pnds of an affect.

Enjoy ur skoot!!!

RACNRAY
Wheel weights, with disk(s) : Rear : 40 Lbs OEM, 28 BST ....Front : 30 OEM, 24 BST

Had a friend high side my FZ 09 with BST wheels.

Front end twisted 90 deg, 1 lower leg broken, bent trees, axle, disks.

BST ok still holding air, and dial indicator had only ,007 inch side variance .

Inside of bead a bit of a fuzzy, rough texture, so that may be as accurate it could be measured. .

Still using the same front wheel , 2 years later..

Had the 1st Busa in San Diego in April 1999.

Was also the 1st, maybe in the country, to fry the clutch after 2 weekends at the local drags.

Went to the junk yard and found Kaw KZ 650 plates fit and got a fist full for $ 10 bux .

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great work. I definitely am interested in going the same route with mine, so I'm glad to see someone else try it first lol.

Just wish the "sport package" from the factory was something like this instead of being little carbon fiber trim bits.
Rumor has it that Indian may be coming out with a street variant with 17 inch wheels as a 2020 model.

Sent OEM wheels from FTR to Brock by their request.

BST may be coming out with 17 inch wheels for the FTR.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do the speedo, abs and tcs still work normally (do they recalibrate?), or does the speedo now have an extra 10% error?

(With a built in gps module it’s technically possible to have the speedo recalibrate itself, but I kinda doubt if that logic was built in. Same with abs, some system can adapt themselves to different tire diameters)

Great stuff dude!!
Abs and TC seem to work ok, though I haven't hit the ABS before or after the change.

I wonder if the speedo can be corrected through the ECU ? It does read a bit high..

I'll ask Fuel Moto next time we talk.

I have heard of speedo correction devices for other bikes.

·
Bronze member
1,966 Posts
Yeah originally it reads about 5mph high. You should be able to re configure it in the ecu. As that’s how I’ve done other bikes.

I know vcycle could do it with your fz

There was another outfit over seas who took the stock ftr wheel and widened it to 5.5in to fit a 180. If you send them your wheel and 1200 they will do it for you.

IMG_1008.jpg
IMG_1009.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There was another outfit over seas who took the stock ftr wheel and widened it to 5.5in to fit a 180. If you send them your wheel and $ 1200 they will do it for you.
The used BST wheels I got off of Ebay were about that much for both.

The wider OEM rear wheel would still weigh over 40 + Lbs
and be an 18 instead of a more desirable 17.

Also, the prospect of my bike out of commission for that long not happening.

I had my BST on , before I sent the OEM wheels to Brock.

Thanks for the info, though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts