Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody done the 15,000 mile service yet? Oil/filter, air filter, change the oil in the front forks: Total $600+. According to the technician this will come around every 15, 000 miles.

·
Early joiner
235 Posts
Buy the shop manual (one time cost $135-150) and if you are at all mechanically inclined save yourself a lot of money. Just my .02

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Ouch.
That's going to cut into the Mocha Mint Espresso Shot Frappe Fund.
I'm gonna have to drop back to 6 a day.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Drop to one a day and you won`t be named Big Daddy any longer!!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Yeah you rite.
Nerve tonic.
I'm startin to think they keep me all nerved up though.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
X-zactly brother. Therein lies the problem. It is a very labor intensive job, at least 3 hours. Front forks do have to be removed, etc. I talked with the tech and he sort of hinted around that he didn't think the oil "went bad", but there is a sometimes change in the viscosity which would/mght affect the damping. So for now I'll bite the bullet (warranty and all, you know) but after 30,000 miles or so, whatever is going to happen that is covered by warranty will probably have already happened and at that point I'll regroup... Just wanted to let the group know what was ahead so no one will be taken by surprise; blindsided would be more like it. Check first and ask questions later.

·
Founding member
952 Posts
The service manual shows a complete fork rebuild. Victory Forums show guys with 30,000 miles with same oil. They must not be removing the forks. Would be more than $600 Any Motorcycle mechanics out there? Only worked on BSA and Triumph front forks and the were simple. I know Limeys inside out but this is a new animal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you, IndyJoe. It may be sticker shock for some but be mindful we purchased a premium motorcycle they are investments, and its gonna cost a little along the way to keep it in like new condition. I think this first year run will become collector items someday.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're are going to complete the work Thursday, I'll let you know for sure. Tech said he would be removing the forks.

·
Founding member
952 Posts
I am curious. Are they replacing the seals? Service manual recommends it. Sounds like a good idea as long as forks are apart.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'll have to check out my Victory Cross Country owner's manual about my forks as I'm approaching 17,000 miles on my 2012 XC. I was thinking about replacing the brake fluid as the bike will soon be considered 3 years old. Polaris is probably the same with both brands.
Victory owners manual has replace every 15K or every 2 years (whichever is sooner).

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They're are going to complete the work Thursday, I'll let you know for sure. Tech said he would be removing the forks.
Finished work today, sat in dealership 6 hours. One thing for sure I will not change the fork oil the next 15K. 30K, maybe. I wish someone would tell me why that oil needs changing in 15 thousand miles. Even the techs couldn't understand why it is recommended. And why not put drain plugs in the bottom? Is it really all about the money?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thank you, IndyJoe. It may be sticker shock for some but be mindful we purchased a premium motorcycle they are investments, and its gonna cost a little along the way to keep it in like new condition. I think this first year run will become collector items someday.
NO Motorcycle is an Investment! It is a depreciating asset. You will lose money just like I have with many motorcycles over my years,

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Motorcycles are like cars. The manufacturer recommends service intervals for different things. The vast majority other than changing the oil and filter are just a lot of crap and not needed. They are a scam for the dealer to make $$$$$$$$$$. Buyer beware

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Revenue generator. When/If the fork seals start leaking the first question from the Warranty Administrator will be, have you had the recommended services preformed? If the answer is "no", you'll be paying for the 6 hours to do the work!! :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm at 22,000 miles now. The air filter and oil change, along with any inspections you can do easily. Changing the fork fluid can get messy, so I'll probably have that done by the dealer eventually.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts