Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else experiencing a surge in 2nd gear when slowing down? Had the same problem with my 2016 Scout and there was a recall to reflash to the ECU.
Mine is a 2014 Chieftain.

·
Bronze member
1,766 Posts
That surge is built in to the factory maps. It is easily modified if you have a PC tuner. There is a reason which I can’t recall. It’s scary when slowing down and downshifting say from 4th.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I think someone said it is an anti-stall device. I could live without it.

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Any one else experiencing a surge in 2nd gear when slowing down? Had the same problem with my 2016 Scout and there was a recall to reflash to the ECU.
Mine is a 2014 Chieftain.

When releasing your throttle during deceleration, the fuel injectors shut off, meaning you have no engine power, when he rpm hits 1200, the injectors kick back on and boom the surge. An after market tune can set this lower, almost eliminating. In the mean time, pull the clutch before hitting 1200 RPM

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I think someone said it is an anti-stall device. I could live without it.
I use it for cruising in extremly slow traffic...2nd gear and no throttle, the bike pulls itself right along...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
You're probably right. And it does have it's place since the last thing any of us want is a stalled engine at slow speed on a 900# bike. As mentioned above, just use the clutch a lot at slow speed. Not a bad idea in any event.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When releasing your throttle during deceleration, the fuel injectors shut off, meaning you have no engine power, when he rpm hits 1200, the injectors kick back on and boom the surge. An after market tune can set this lower, almost eliminating. In the mean time, pull the clutch before hitting 1200 RPM
I think this should be recalled, had the same issue with my Scout and the ecu was reflashed to correct it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're probably right. And it does have it's place since the last thing any of us want is a stalled engine at slow speed on a 900# bike. As mentioned above, just use the clutch a lot at slow speed. Not a bad idea in any event.
Really don't care for a surge at slow speed on 900 lb. bike either, it should be corrected by the factory.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Really don't care for a surge at slow speed on 900 lb. bike either, it should be corrected by the factory.
I agree. ;) On my bike it's more like one big firing stroke which pulls the bike forward with a kick just when it's not wanted. I don't wear the injectors coming back on excuse, most cars and plenty of other bike engines shut off the fuel on overrun to conserve fuel but they are able to pick up smoothly when the throttle is opened or when the engine speed reaches idle.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
You just need to downshift to first sooner or pull your clutch in at low RPM's in 2nd gear. It's really that simple.

You will get used to how you manage that and a tune does help it some. It's a fuel "cut-on" feature...

Reactions: Baron58

·
Silver member
4,647 Posts
Some of the newer calibrations do not have the "feature". Their Idle 3d table that controls the cut-on of the fuel injectors has been set to idle speed as to not have this surge. Unfortunately the update for your 2014 is the 2016 factory calibration and it has the surge too.

Easy to fix with the PV3 flash tuner...plus all the other benefits you get from it with a good tune.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You just need to downshift to first sooner or pull your clutch in at low RPM's in 2nd gear. It's really that simple.

You will get used to how you manage that and a tune does help it some. It's a fuel "cut-on" feature...
Well I guess I will have to get used to that, I rode sport bikes on the track and you are on the gas, or on the brake, no clutch in coasting allowed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some of the newer calibrations do not have the "feature". Their Idle 3d table that controls the cut-on of the fuel injectors has been set to idle speed as to not have this surge. Unfortunately the update for your 2014 is the 2016 factory calibration and it has the surge too.

Easy to fix with the PV3 flash tuner...plus all the other benefits you get from it with a good tune.
thanks for the info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts