Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

161 - 180 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Cheers ....👍😎 any luck with the bike yet?
they haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I dropped it in at the end of the day Monday and the head mechanic wasn't at work yesterday. he'll look at it today.

yes they have the other mirror, they said it put back as little as necessary in case the bars are changed again at some point

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
so... I'm not sure if this is good or bad news.
dealer took the bike for a ride after I brought it in and said it was pretty much completely unrideable.
My dealer tried the throttle zero reset and told me it made no difference.
as a result they installed the US AH2 software.
according to my dealer, its now the best running FTR they've ever ridden. they claim the surging issue has gone completely.
so now I have a problem. I cant install my Toce tune on the new software. which means I can't install my Toce.
they told me that the advice from Polaris is that the bike will get better and better as it gets used to the new software and said I'm welcome to pick it up and ride it for 300kms to see if it improves.
they said Polaris also stand by their offer to give me a virgin ECU with the original software but given that their AH2 fixed the issue, that would be at my expense with no support from Polaris.

so my dilemma is this:
do I take the bike with the new software and sell the Toce I love so much?
do I buy a new ECU and reinstall the tune and see how it goes?
they claim they can not identify anything in relation to the bars that caused the issue with the bike and Polaris are standing by their claim that the aftermarket tune caused the issue.

I'm puzzled.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh wow, what a dilemma, I’d suggest going for a few good rides over the weekend and see how you feel about the bike and if you can live without the Toce, if you can’t then it’s probably virgin ECU time and keep the AH2 ECU as a back up, at least if you have two ECUs then you have a fault finding tool should the bike start acting up again and ECU changes aren’t any great impost on top of changing the exhaust back over again. It’s a really thorny problem you have and I don’t envy you at all

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to hear about your probs. Polaris CS is about as jacked up as Harley MoCo. Corporations just literally don't GAF about their buyers anymore.

Polaris CS was less than worthless on my issue, even though it was safety related. You got more support than I ever did from them or the incompetent local techs. Congrats!

However, the Polaris CS guy alluded to Indian having developed a new tune to address the fueling issues that he may, or may not, be able to send to my local idgits if the secret squirrel tune did, in fact, actually exist. :ROFLMAO:

Hope you get it sorted without too much cash outlay.

·
Rider
1,337 Posts
Ok to hedge your bets me personally I would liaise with Ryan or FM to see what they suggest?

It was obviously a Gremlin that has gone away (possibly temporarily) or an issue with the tune itself by implication of what they have done and the results and of course what Polaris has said.

Time for your tuner to step up and assist. Both tuners are supposed to have lifetime map support, time to see how good it is!

Me I'd do this as Trojan suggests above:

Buy a replacement ECU but keep the old one! When the new one is cloned off the old one you should hopefully then have two ECUs with the same information on which both make your bike run sweet as a nut in standard format.

You then have the option of either sending one away to be bench flashed or programmed with whatever you wish? You then have a secure and safe fall back option in the event of these issues ever appearing again, but of course you would have to roll the bike back to stock.

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Registered
774 Posts
Mmmmm....definitely not the outcome I was hoping for you Tash...tend to agree with Col...see what you think and get the other ECU. Then you can put the TOCE back on. Maybe get Ryan to send you another copy of the tune just to be on the safe side....mmmm...

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
491 Posts
Time for your tuner to step up and assist. Both tuners are supposed to have lifetime map support, time to see how good it is!
I would question Ryan first before making a decision as well. Especially since he was so adamant at the beginning of this that his tune was not the issue. Its just weird how your bike was fine for so long and then randomly started acting up when replacing the bars. Would be worth it to hear what he has to say.

·
Registered
774 Posts
He’s already said that after market bars are a bad idea...well something like that...Tash can chime in on that one to give you the exact context...I’m still confused as to how a tune could all of a sudden go bad...I mean I would be blaming the ECU before the tune...maybe it glitched...technology is so sharp these days it doesn’t take much for it to glitch...dunno man, I ain’t no tech...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
I would question Ryan first before making a decision as well. Especially since he was so adamant at the beginning of this that his tune was not the issue. Its just weird how your bike was fine for so long and then randomly started acting up when replacing the bars. Would be worth it to hear what he has to say.
I can't contact Ryan about this issue.
I cant explain why but just please understand Ryan wants nothing to do with this.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
491 Posts
Sounds odd... but without knowing all the details, ok I guess. I just though maybe he would have changed his stance after Polaris said it was an ECU/tuning issue of some sort. Whatever the case, I would then go with the extra ECU and send one to get bench flashed.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
317 Posts
First things first. Bring your bike back home and ride it. (A Lot) Make sure it is actually running properly and to your satisfaction.
When I purchased my FTR-RR, I had no intention of trying to squeeze more performance out of it but I did expect it to run properly and it does in stock trim with dB killers removed. Make sure that is the case with your FTR in stock configuration.

You have all the time in the world to retune and add your Toce back to your bike.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I glad you can at least ride again!

It blows my mind Ryan wouldn't touch this. But I don't know the whole situation, so maybe he has a legit reason. I'm curious if there was an odd condition that flipped a bit, or two, in the core 9LO program to cause this issue. Sometimes if the same version of a program is installed (9LO updated to 9LO) it will not overwrite files that already exist which could leave a corrupt file in place. Then perhaps AH2 files overwrote the corruption to straighten it back out? As suggested, I would ride the shit out of that bike to see if the issue comes back before making more changes.

Either way, I think it might be worth having 2 ECU's to tinker with as a last ditch effort to use the Toce. Don't let us spend your money for you, but if you can drop the coin for an ECU & tune, it would definitely provide some insight and a chance to get your FTR back to being your dream bike again.

·
Rider
1,315 Posts
so... I'm not sure if this is good or bad news.
dealer took the bike for a ride after I brought it in and said it was pretty much completely unrideable.
My dealer tried the throttle zero reset and told me it made no difference.
as a result they installed the US AH2 software.
according to my dealer, its now the best running FTR they've ever ridden. they claim the surging issue has gone completely.
so now I have a problem. I cant install my Toce tune on the new software. which means I can't install my Toce.
they told me that the advice from Polaris is that the bike will get better and better as it gets used to the new software and said I'm welcome to pick it up and ride it for 300kms to see if it improves.
they said Polaris also stand by their offer to give me a virgin ECU with the original software but given that their AH2 fixed the issue, that would be at my expense with no support from Polaris.

so my dilemma is this:
do I take the bike with the new software and sell the Toce I love so much?
do I buy a new ECU and reinstall the tune and see how it goes?
they claim they can not identify anything in relation to the bars that caused the issue with the bike and Polaris are standing by their claim that the aftermarket tune caused the issue.

I'm puzzled.
I'd replace the bars to those you previously installed, ride it for a while, then potentially explore a bench tuned ECU. Good luck!

Reactions: edgelett

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions.
When I spoke to my dealer yesterday I said I'm really at a loss to explain what has happened as I had a tune (on a stock bike) since Jan 2020 without issue. Everything changed when the bars were installed. seems really weird that if it's a tune issue it happened to be that exact moment when it went haywire.
I'm going camping this weekend so I can't pick the bike up till next week anyway.
I'm honestly thinking of selling the bike at this point.
I need some time to think so I'll contemplate the issue over the weekend before i collect it next week.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes, keep riding it the way it is. My guess is the surging issue is going to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I feel like it's too weird to be a tune issue. I'm still onboard with the idea that it's gotta be something involved in the RBW system altogether (ECU, wiring, etc). I thought it was wiring before and this makes me think it's wiring even more now. I'd be real interested in what the actual ECU engineer thinks.

Sorry that Polaris did you dirty on this bike.

161 - 180 of 197 Posts