Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 163 Posts

·
Rider
1,292 Posts
Thought experiment: there is a wide range of performance, surge wise, among otherwise identically configured units. Ms. @edgelett is now experiencing "normal surging" which seems clearly due to a hardware issue and not the tune. Is badly designed or manufactured TPS hardware a cause, in part, for the surging or difference in performance?

·
Rider
1,309 Posts
i have no idea what will solve it.
And sadly neither do they.
A lot of parts involved. You never know, could even be a connector, wire loom...
But the fact it doesn’t surge on cruise is a symptom not to overlook. 👍🏻
Spot on Max!

Edgelett,

Do you have the option of another dealer if need be?

This is not an insurmountable issue but one that will take a bit of time and methodical eradication of parts. Based on history with the swap out, drop and the fact it is ok on cruise control, me dependent on readily available parts I would start at the throttle assembly and cabling by possibly depinning and slaving a replacement directly into the ECU connectors and see where we're at then for starters? You wouldn't need to disturb your existing throttle or cabling at the 'business end' to do this. This of course depends how obliging your dealership wants to be? It is them that need to come up with a plan as you are relying on them and that is why they are in business presumably?

·
Rider
1,292 Posts
A lot of parts involved. You never know, could even be a connector, wire loom...

But the fact it doesn’t surge on cruise is a symtom not to overlook. 👍🏻

Ideally, two bikes, side by side, measure
The cruise control observation is the key, in my view, @Max Kool and this suggests it could not be the tune. Spot on as always, my friend.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
So the mechanic thats been working on my bike and dealing with Polaris is on leave. I've asked the shop to please DO NOT touch the ECU on the bike and to leave it alone until he comes back in a weeks time.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Well, I just wrote a lengthy email to Polaris Australia in the hope someone can help out. I am very concerned that their solution was 'wait a week and install the new software'. I really suggests to me that they don't understand the problem isn't related to fueling, they think I still have the stock fueling.
It means I admitted I have an aftermarket tune and exhaust in my email but I just want my bike back.

Let's see what happens.

·
Rider
1,278 Posts
It's frustrating, but these are the exact reasons why folks should think twice about getting aftermarket tunes...

there is a very small chance that something goes wrong, and now, the dealership can and will use your choice in aftermarket tuning against you...

I've been in this position about 15 years ago and as much as it hurts, I won't ever get an aftermarket tune on any vehicle...

the risk outweighs the reward...

·
Rider
1,309 Posts
I won't ever get an aftermarket tune on any vehicle...

Interesting point of view nevertheless ‘some’ bikes were virtually unrideable and downright dangerous in their fuelling characteristics. The quirks and foibles of the FTR are very well documented with historically no fix from the Mothership.

I wonder what your viewpoint and action would have been if you yourself had the misfortune of shelling out your hard earned $15k on a lemon? I went down the tuning route more out of curiosity than anything else and how pleased I was!

@edgelett Good luck! This is going to go one of two ways!

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Bronze member
2,222 Posts
It's frustrating, but these are the exact reasons why folks should think twice about getting aftermarket tunes...

there is a very small chance that something goes wrong, and now, the dealership can and will use your choice in aftermarket tuning against you...

I've been in this position about 15 years ago and as much as it hurts, I won't ever get an aftermarket tune on any vehicle...

They aren’t denying her warranty over the tune. So what’s the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,278 Posts
They aren’t denying her warranty over the tune. So what’s the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a precursor for them - they're keeping it in their back pocket and can throw down that card at any time...

mid they don't like something they see and they don't want to mess with it, or bother to help, it's because "you have an aftermarket tune, so we are not responsible for it" blah blah blah...

·
Rider
1,309 Posts
In light of the fact Edgelett has only very recently let Polaris Australia know of the aftermarket tune and exhaust nobody knows as of yet what their response is going to be and pure speculation is both fruitless and counterproductive!

I hope they will take the honourable path. Invariably only time will tell.

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Registered
579 Posts
I hope they will take the honourable path. Invariably only time will tell.
I will say the path they will take is like any business would, profit vs loss. Having been down a path of an erratic running engine on a different model, they searched hard to prove an aftermarket tune or part was the problem (even to the point of asking multiple techs at the dealership to see if one would spill the beans and asking for the ECM).

They are well aware we put tunes on our bikes and I have on many of my previous bikes but not on this particular bike nor since then (at least till the end of the warranty period) based the two year hunt to prove I was the cause of the issues.

I am lucky I guess as my FTR runs acceptable on the stock tune... to each their own.

As my wife states everytime she sees me in the shop tinkering with one of my bikes, "just go ride the darn thing..."

·
Rider
1,054 Posts
On a side bar- please realize that Indian DOES read the forums and social media. In the past, they have identified people and even printed out documents to prove someone is lying about what they have , or have not changed on their bike with regard to a warranty claim (I know someone that went through this- changed their bike back to stock prior to submitting a warranty claim).

I don't have a 'dog in the fight', but certainly something to keep in mind in these scenarios. Best of luck getting this resolved.

·
Rider
1,278 Posts
On a side bar- please realize that Indian DOES read the forums and social media.
Hopefully they read this thread.....

61 - 80 of 163 Posts