Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
480 Posts
Looks like they're trying to pass off your major surging issue with the "normal" surging issues that every bike has. From what you described, clearly two very different issues. Sure is disappointing...

·
Rider
1,309 Posts
....And no ah2 won’t fix it since it does it with or without the tune.....
Maybe worth a punt going for another throttle assembly? What else could it be apart from that or a sensor perhaps? In this whole saga only the throttle was ever disturbed and assumption is it ran 'sweet as a nut' beforehand?

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
480 Posts
Maybe worth a punt going for another throttle assembly? What else could it be apart from that or a sensor perhaps? In this whole saga only the throttle was ever disturbed.
Not sure how much the wiring would be too, but perhaps the plug end got damaged as well and it's not making a good connection? Cheap insurance if the cable is actually cheap.. Could be either or both as @K9F suggests.

·
Rider
1,309 Posts
If the disparity can be seen on a PV3 potentially another throttle assembly could be 'slaved in' to see if this eradicates the issue or the wiring and connections needs to be checked with a multimeter. The diagram below may assist? But at a dealership the premium will be high and results as only as good as the electrician wielding the tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is the response from Polaris Australia:
'The USA program upgrade is almost ready for release. I have tested it on a bike this week and it had a noticeable improvement to surging and other running issues. Do you believe the customer can wait for another week or two?'
i.e. their solution is the Ah2 software which will **** the tune on my bike.
Well, the Ah2 software was released months ago, so it was already "ready". Since the 2022 models, by some reporting, do not have software issues, maybe they learned something. Maybe the "almost ready for release" software is Ah3 for the USA and the rest of the world.

Wouldn't that be nice. :p

·
Registered
372 Posts
That would be nice if they made further development on a stock tune, but it's likely an AUS specific emissions tune based on the AH2. (my guess, anyway)

·
Silver member
5,474 Posts
This is the response from Polaris Australia:
'The USA program upgrade is almost ready for release. I have tested it on a bike this week and it had a noticeable improvement to surging and other running issues. Do you believe the customer can wait for another week or two?'
i.e. their solution is the Ah2 software which will **** the tune on my bike.
This problem is a becoming a drama slowly unfolding itself. I don't believe the AH2 will fix this, and will actually brick your ECU for further PV-3 tuning. Aaargghh. It's not the tune!

They need to diagnose... I'm still putting my money on a bad connector f-ing up the throttle signal. Didn't your bike fall over on its side a while ago? Any chance that event f'ed up (put tension on) the connector under the top triple, or any other for that matter? I mean as soon as you enable cruise control this surging is over, right?

I would feel so helpless with the response they gave...😢 it's like talking to a wall

·
Rider
1,292 Posts
This problem is a becoming a drama slowly unfolding itself. I don't believe the AH2 will fix this, and will actually brick your ECU for further PV-3 tuning. Aaargghh. It's not the tune!

They need to diagnose... I'm still putting my money on a bad connector f-ing up the throttle signal. Didn't your bike fall over on its side a while ago? Any chance that event f'ed up (put tension on) the connector under the top triple, or any other for that matter? I mean as soon as you enable cruise control this surging is over, right?

I would feel so helpless with the response they gave...😢 it's like talking to a wall
It does seem like a hardware issue. The dealership cookie cutter approach is, um, less than optimal for sure.

·
Registered
2019 FTR1200S
53 Posts
Silly question, but do you let the bike start itself, or do you apply some throttle to ‘help’ it start? Applying throttle can cause confusion with the ecu.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
And no ah2 won’t fix it since it does it with or without the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct - I emailed them back & pointed that out & said ;'this has nothing to do with fueling, the bike was tuned in January 2020 and it only started doing it since the handlebars were swapped'.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

it could have but they seem to have written it off as 'normal FTR surging' even though it's absolutely not normal FTR surging...
yes it did fall over on the right and yes it could have done that but I'm not a mechanic so I can't diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
That's why you have mechanics...
yes - if only they could diagnose the issue.

Sorry mate just rather frustrated. I just got a $2000 gift voucher for the dealership from my work and I am sensing it will be spent on asking them to swap back to stock bars and switch the throttle grip.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
It also concerns me that the TPS clearly flicks around when the bike is stationary, yet they think it's the fueling issue.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
It also concerns me that the TPS clearly flicks around when the bike is stationary, yet they think it's the fueling issue.....
I'd try reaching out to Polaris. They may be able to an engineer's opinion. I'd tell them what's been going on and ask them to ask an engineer why TPS will flicker when the bike is stationary. If TPS changes while stationary, my thought is it's the TPS, the wiring, or the ECU reading the TPS. It's not lkely to be TPS or wiring because of the dual sensors.

I'd try asking them if they'll just replace the engine controller. I'm not the EE on that, but certain failures can result in improper analog measurements (i.e. failure of voltage regulator rnside the ECU, failure of the ADC inside the ECU). If you have a nearby friend with an FTR, maybe they'll help out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't know what diagnostic tools they have, but it would be interesting to see what the ECU reports as the battery voltage compared to the actual battery oltage.

41 - 60 of 163 Posts