Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been delaying posting this because no doubt someone here will find a way to blame me for this.

a couple of weeks ago I noticed the surging throttle is back. I wasn't sure if I was imagining it so wanted to get out and test it in different t conditions and see what was happening. it also seems different to what was happening before.

on the weekend I Rode for about an hour. I noticed it the most in 2-4th gear, between about 2800rpm and 4800rpm. the surging was quite noticeable and when it happened I looked down at the speedo and could see my speed varying up and down by as much as 4kph. might not sound much but when you're doing 80 it is. and when you're riding at 40 through roadworks and it does it, people all stare at you.

it seemed to smooth out and almost go away at 5000rpm. it also didn't seem to be happening as much in 5th and 6th but having said that I wasn't in those gears much as I was in the twisties.

today I plugged in my pv3 and watched it as I changed the grip position. last time it bounced around like hell. this time it seemed steady. other than it showing two different and odd tps numbers when the grip was all the way closed it was pretty steady

so I need to call my dealer cause its getting worse and is nearly unridable again. the problem is I'm not sure if its a second throttle thats failed, or an issue with the tune, or even a slipping clutch??

any ideas or suggestions before I call them?

video of the pv3 here

·
Rider
1,309 Posts
^^ Before calling the dealership log a couple of rides with the PV3 and send them off to Ryan so he has something to work with too. I am sure he will be able to pinpoint exactly what the issue may be pretty quickly. Nothing to stop you calling the dealership after the logged files are sent off. Two teams working on your issue at the same time would be better IMHO.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Assuming you sent this info and quest for advice to Ryan too? 👍🏻
not yet mate, I want to make sure I'm investigating the right issue first.
do you think it could be the tune?
just seems weird for it to go all weird now given I had the tune for a while now.
but I guess it could be?

I'll flick him an email

·
Registered
92 Posts
Definitely get Ryan on the case, he would be able to see from the logs if it’s the tune or the TPS, much easier to go to the dealer forearmed with this info

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks I will - though Ryan always says he doesn't do logs and doesn't diagnose problems. I'll send him a message anyway.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
479 Posts
I'd say you could also reflash an older or stock tune, but not sure how that would run anyways given your exhaust set up. But it may be able to run well enough to find out if the surging is present or not.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
263 Posts
edgelett - I I recall you replaced the stock handle bar on your FTR and simultaneously had a failure of the “ride by wire” throttle assembly when you reinstalled it onto the bar.

It doesn’t make sense but is there any possibility at all that your new bar is causing the problem? Maybe it does not want to play nice with the throttle assembly.

It seems unlikely the ECU tune that was working so well for you has now mysteriously changed and is causing a problem. This is starting to sound like a mechanical issue not the tune.
(I have not heard of any other throttle assembly issues on either forum)

·
Premium Member
2019 FTR 1200S RR
85 Posts
edgelett - I I recall you replaced the stock handle bar on your FTR and simultaneously had a failure of the “ride by wire” throttle assembly when you reinstalled it onto the bar.

It doesn’t make sense but is there any possibility at all that your new bar is causing the problem? Maybe it does not want to play nice with the throttle assembly.

It seems unlikely the ECU tune that was working so well for you has now mysteriously changed and is causing a problem. This is starting to sound like a mechanical issue not the tune.
I had mine replaced a few months ago with stock bars. I had no throttle. Ft Myers dealer has done at least 3 I know of. Have since swapped to rally bars on my RR - no issues yet. I make sure there is plenty of slack in the wiring to avoid any problem or crushing the wiring

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
263 Posts
Now you have me paranoid!
I am out in the garage looking at my throttle wondering if it is going to screw me after waiting all miserable winter to ride. I may call the dealership and make sure they have one in stock - “just in case”.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

i have no idea -The dealer replaced the entire throttle unit under warranty previously and told me they check it out and it had failed.
i don't get how a handlebar could cause a throttle issue, but I suppose I could take the whole thing apart again and re-assemble and see what happens.....
i guess that's why I was wondering what on earth could cause this and whether it could be a slipping clutch?
plus plenty of people have changed bars over without issues.
unless there is something faulty with my bars?
if it was the throttle it should show the throttle jumping around when i'm holding it steady wouldn't it?

·
Silver member
5,473 Posts
Slipping clutches typically protest themselves in 5th and 6th first, under high load/throttle opening.

I'm pretty sure you feel the difference.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shit.
i just can't believe that a set of Rizoma bars could cause this issue.
but since I have no idea what it COULD be, i guess it could be the bars.
i just had to pop the bike in the shed for a couple of weeks cause we're having some work done at home, I'll email Ryan today as well on the off chance he might be able to help.
then when I can get the bike out again I guess i'll try changing the bars back and see what happens....
i'll be livid if the lower bars from Rizoma that I paid a fortune for and are allegedly made for the FTR have caused this issue.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
479 Posts
If the dealer replaced your tbw due to the soapy water getting in there, any chance the soapy water could have corroded the contacts on the wire that plugs in to the tbw? But like you said, I think if there was a short somewhere you would see it on the throttle position on the PV3. Not sure, just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the dealer replaced your tbw due to the soapy water getting in there, any chance the soapy water could have corroded the contacts on the wire that plugs in to the tbw? But like you said, I think if there was a short somewhere you would see it on the throttle position on the PV3. Not sure, just thinking out loud.
the dealer didn't replace the throttle due to soapy water.
they took the throttle off, tested it & sent it to Polaris who took it apart and were able to determine there was absolutely nothing we did that damaged the throttle. there was no soap inside when they investigated it.

·
Silver member
5,473 Posts
So TPS jumps up and down, while Twist Grip stays at the same value?

(I bet TPS should change a tad up and down to keep the revs the same, but not by much)

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
479 Posts
the dealer didn't replace the throttle due to soapy water.
they took the throttle off, tested it & sent it to Polaris who took it apart and were able to determine there was absolutely nothing we did that damaged the throttle. there was no soap inside when they investigated it.
Ahh my mistake. I remember the other thread but didn't recall all the details.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I took a close look at my bike to see the routing, position and tightness of the wire leading to the throttle assembly. I was surprised how tightly the wire was cinched to the bar. It was straight in across the banjo connector on the brake and had no “slack” at all.

C4A85F56-39F1-4BC5-A72E-C1CBE8EFC624.jpeg
61F79CD9-487E-4E7C-937E-A966C2C40368.jpeg
737F45D8-C9D0-4E64-BC89-191BBB659356.jpeg

1 - 20 of 163 Posts