Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, over the winter much thought will be given into the Super Charger vs Turbo, for my 16 chieftain, They make both for our bike. No extra pc's needed etc, our bikes ECU can and already has been mapped for both. My Dealership owner has both, I think with the low end torque already being provided by stage 2, That turbo top end is the way to go ? Now we will have to get into the rev limiter issue. But that has been done also..
My goal up the road is to have a when ya see it ya respect it on the street, machine. Already has a good rep, but one can never have enough HP/Torque. ANY thoughts comments appreciated, Non confrontal is me.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Total cost of either set up is steep = $ 8000.00. worth it ? If it creates peace in your world u bet.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
OP = original poster.
8K? For a bike that tops out at 125? How fast do you want to get up to 125 on 2 wheels?

It might be good for you but I purchased my Chieftain to haul my old arse distance...comfortably.

Welcome and Semper Fi,
Z

Reactions: Rowdy

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP = original poster.
8K? For a bike that tops out at 125? How fast do you want to get up to 125 on 2 wheels?

It might be good for you but I purchased my Chieftain to haul my old arse distance...comfortably.

Welcome and Semper Fi,
Z
Thank You for ur positive response DrZ. mine will accomplish both with dependability, and like i told the guy at petty racing when I did the ride along deal for nascar, he looked over at me the driver of the race car at rt 66 raceway and said scary fast right, my reply was my bagger does this in 3rd gear lol.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah Haa moment .After Drz input did a little rethinking. hes right 125 is enough. Gonna invest the $$$$ in a drag bike for tack and live to tell about it lol. Thanks again DRZ for the eye opener

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
OP = original poster.

Welcome and Semper Fi,
Z
Yeah man, take that $8k and get yourself a used but great condition Vmax and it will snap your head back without a blower. It is a friggin beast.

·
Registered
352 Posts
So, I have a Pavement Crusher, it's my 2010 Victory Cross Country. 116 Big Bore kit, custom heads, Supercharged, Intercooler, Methanol Injected, etc, etc. 200HP/164TQ. Redline at 6400rpm. It is my Bagger Beast and would not get rid of it. That said, I really Love my 2016 Chieftain, really...

·
Registered
892 Posts
So, I have a Pavement Crusher, it's my 2010 Victory Cross Country. 116 bug bore kit, custom heads, Supercharged, Intercooler, Methanol Injected, etc, etc. 200HP/164TQ. Redline at 6400rpm. It is my Bagger Beast and would not get rid of it. That said, I really Love my 2016 Chieftain, really...
Pic of the Vic!?! Sounds like a beast:)

Reactions: HYWMAN

·
Registered
352 Posts
Pic of the Vic!?! Sounds like a beast:)
I never realized how few pictures I take of my bike, until someone asks for a picture. I guess I'm usually having too much fun riding it. It is not a Beauty Queen, adorned with bling and fancy paint. It is however an absolute blast to drive. I've replaced the brakes with Carbon/Ceramic brakes, HID headlight and HeliBars for comfort.
IMG_3255.JPG
Dyno 200.jpg
IMG_0559.JPG

·
Registered
352 Posts
Total cost of either set up is steep = $ 8000.00. worth it ? If it creates peace in your world u bet.
I feel remiss in not answering the original thread. I have a slightly different take on a performance bagger. I didn't do what I did to my XC to produce a "when ya see it ya respect it on the street" machine. I did it to enjoy the ride, push the limits, and possibly help promote the brand. As a matter of fact, I asked for something very unlike the typical HD Supercharged machines running around, in that I wanted it to be as subtle and hidden as possible. Hell, even at last Sturgis, most people walk right past my bike and start asking questions about my wife's XC Trike. It's kind of what I was going for, so it works. I will say this, when the HP/TQ goes up, the problems ensue. I've replaced a transmission ($4500), and had a ton of clutch and crankcase breather work done to resolve high performance issues. Also, I spoke with Lloyd at Sturgis this year. He has that 121 Supercharged Chieftain. The engine (when properly built) can handle loads of HP/TQ, but the transmission (Clutch Only) will not hold it (slips, not breaks), and no one builds performance components for an Indian transmission yet, so be careful. ***Update: Barnett now has performance clutch plates.***

So, it's your machine and your vision, make it what you want. Personally, I don't subscribe to instant street respect, or respect for anything I have, I believe it is a personal matter, and must be earned. That said, I am a serious gear-head and love to see a well engineered, and even beautifully done (pretty as well as engineering) bike. My only advice is, do what calls to you and makes you happy. I look forward to seeing your vision down the road.

Reactions: TN1WR and Geresti

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,851 Posts
I never realized how few pictures I take of my bike, until someone asks for a picture. I guess I'm usually having too much fun riding it. It is not a Beauty Queen, adorned with bling and fancy paint. It is however an absolute blast to drive. ]
HOLY SHIT .. those are AWESOME numbers. And... like that way the addons tuck away , somewhat out of sight... kudos!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I feel remiss in not answering the original thread. I have a slightly different take on a performance bagger. I didn't do what I did to my XC to produce a "when ya see it ya respect it on the street" machine. I did it to enjoy the ride, push the limits, and possibly help promote the brand. As a matter of fact, I asked for something very unlike the typical HD Supercharged machines running around, in that I wanted it to be as subtle and hidden as possible. Hell, even at last Sturgis, most people walk right past my bike and start asking questions about my wife's XC Trike. It's kind of what I was going for, so it works. I will say this, when the HP/TQ goes up, the problems ensue. I've replaced a transmission ($4500), and had a ton of clutch and crankcase breather work done to resolve high performance issues. Also, I spoke with Lloyd at Sturgis this year. He has that 121 Supercharged Chieftain. The engine (when properly built) can handle loads of HP/TQ, but the transmission will not hold it, and no one build performance components for an Indian transmission yet, so be careful.

So, it's your machine and your vision, make it what you want. Personally, I don't subscribe to instant street respect, or respect for anything I have, I believe it is a personal matter, and must be earned. That said, I am a serious gear-head and love to see a well engineered, and even beautifully done (pretty as well as engineering) bike. My only advice is, do what calls to you and makes you happy. I look forward to seeing your vision down the road.
So wonderfully ridiculous lol, I love it! Everyone likes a sleeper!

Reactions: PrometheusVII

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel remiss in not answering the original thread. I have a slightly different take on a performance bagger. I didn't do what I did to my XC to produce a "when ya see it ya respect it on the street" machine. I did it to enjoy the ride, push the limits, and possibly help promote the brand. As a matter of fact, I asked for something very unlike the typical HD Supercharged machines running around, in that I wanted it to be as subtle and hidden as possible. Hell, even at last Sturgis, most people walk right past my bike and start asking questions about my wife's XC Trike. It's kind of what I was going for, so it works. I will say this, when the HP/TQ goes up, the problems ensue. I've replaced a transmission ($4500), and had a ton of clutch and crankcase breather work done to resolve high performance issues. Also, I spoke with Lloyd at Sturgis this year. He has that 121 Supercharged Chieftain. The engine (when properly built) can handle loads of HP/TQ, but the transmission will not hold it, and no one build performance components for an Indian transmission yet, so be careful.

You Sir have my total respect.and educated you are for sure. wow thats what this forum is all about . Now time to get my second under warranty kickstand, step back n admire. :) Love your Victory. wish I could share it on FB with one of my victory friends. But I will make sure he reads your very informative post for sure. thanx again "Prometheus VII,

·
Registered
352 Posts

UPDATE/CORRECTION: I stated that the Indian transmission would not hold high HP/TQ, I misspoke. It is the clutch assembly, still part of the trans assembly, but I felt I should clarify. The clutch slips bad when large amounts of ponies are applied, although normal cams, tuners, intake and exhaust mods are as of yet no problem. The transmission is solid.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
UPDATE/CORRECTION: I stated that the Indian transmission would not hold high HP/TQ, I misspoke. It is the clutch assembly, still part of the trans assembly, but I felt I should clarify. The clutch slips bad when large amounts of ponies are applied, although normal cams, tuners, intake and exhaust mods are as of yet no problem. The transmission is solid.
Install a heavy duty clutch kit from Barnett for your 2014 and Up Thunderstroke Model.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/2014-indian-chief-clutch-kit.html

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Winner. Roadie.. Some really do know what they are talking about some dont some inbetween thats why we use this forum. And your post is spot on. Indisn makes both charget n turbo. Clutch updrade is definetly a must just ask ur stealer. Mine has both. The 8000 dollar upgrade at your dealership prformed includes the clutch upgrade..... With that said we all just know enough to get ourselves in trouble with certain upgrades. Whick actually are best performed at your dealer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts