Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The name "suicide shifter" just sounds cool or bad. It really is a shifter rod and knob connected to your normal toe shifter. It will work on a Roadmaster. It requires a few adaptors which I will provide.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think it's cool. I think I might enjoy using it.......untill I'm faced with an emergency situation requiring fast down shifting and I revert to the laws of primacy and try shifting with my foot as I have for more than 50 years. And if in need of quick steering and shifting....fuggedaboudit. I'll not get one.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You can still use the toe shifter while the suicide shifter is connected.
Thanks.....I gave up on the video about a minute too early.
Marcus, IMO, please finish designing this thing. No use of angle iron and iron strap. The linkage should follow the angle of the frame downtube so as to "blend in" aesthetically.

I have always realized that the last 10% of a project requires 90% of the projects' total effort. You and that member in NJ figured out how to make it work, now make it pretty so more of us will buy it and make you more happy..
I, too, find all the attachie thingies unattractive. And since I can keep my foot shifter, if the aesthetics were cleaned up, I might be interested.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Currently there is no unit designed for the Scouts. But I will pass along the idea.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just another opinion from someone who has a suicide clutch on his Chief and the shifter on the deadhand side, I think most people are reacting to the marketing of this as a suicide shifter which feeds the ignorance about tank shifters in general.
Even though alot of people think it's unsafe to ride with one, I've been doing it for decades in LA traffic and on road trips. It's just something you get used to doing, like riding an English bike with the controls flipped.
The only thing I don't like about this setup is that it is on the brake hand meaning you could get cut off guard for an emergency brake with your hand on the shifter. An emergency rear brake lock-up with your right hand on the shifter won't be fun. The old Indians I've ridden with the tank shifter on the right had the controls flipped and were Police service vehicles so officers could supposedly fire their revolvers with the right hands. Definitely an awkward ride at first but you get used to it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I still don't understand why people have a need to comment on everything they don't like why who made you the expert everyone has the right to there own opinion but if you don't like it then no one can i guess mommy told you that you were special go grab your participation trophy it will be ok
Puppy dog don't come off porch unless you ready to get to learn

·
Bronze member
2,484 Posts
Mommy always told me I was special ed.

That count ?

Reactions: Dohmer

·
Bronze member
2,484 Posts
Well, I thot is was like a nickname - cause I'd ask my classmates if they were Special Ed and they all said yes.. I thot it was funny we all had the same nickname... I mean the apparent statistical oddity just made me laugh..

Reactions: Dohmer

·
Registered
4 Posts
It looks really cool, but the use of the term "suicide" is misleading. I get why they ran it on the right side, it looks very old timey and allows people to still use a hand clutch. Having put together a bike with a foot clutch and hand shifter, it takes some time to master.

The term suicide clutch is only appropriate when you have a foot clutch and no front brake. When you stop, you have to shift into neutral and use your right foot to hold your only brake, then when it's time to take off you have to release the brake to put your foot down and engage the clutch with your foot that was holding you up. Due to this, very few people run this anymore, but back in the day it earned the term "suicide" and rightfully so.

It's a cool looking product, but I'm guessing it's going to make shifting slower. With the traditional foot clutch and left hand shift lever you can run pretty hard and shift as quick as a traditional setup with practice. But it's not like the Chief is a drag bike, so it could be a really good fit. It's really cool companies are innovating like this.

·
German rider
659 Posts
I like it for the looks and way a rider is able to show his reference to technical tradition.
But if used by foot for 'quick' shifts, I see excessive technical stress to the remaining original clutch linkage.
While developing a feeling for the force of the leverage using the hand shifter to move the whole rods and joints, your foot may do fine movement too.
But there is an amount of 'mass inertia' comes with the shift linkage if accelerated down by foot, and this will swing... still adding force to the original shift rod and joint when the foot will end pressure cause the shift is done.
And I can imagine, if shifted fast, the the hand shifter beginns to swing and do some not wanted directions due its own mass.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If anyone happens to buy one and install it I would love to read about your experience with the shifter. One thing I noticed in the video was the bounce of the shifter after completing a shift. I wonder what impacts, if any, this would have on the transmission. I wonder what a hard shift would do the to bike? That's a lot of metal bouncing around.

·
King of the nuts
257 Posts
It’s very important to know the facts.

The proper operation of all gear based motorcycles is utilize all gear selector, throttle, and clutch simultaneously or you will eventually shorten the lifespan of your transmission system.

The best way to perform this is by revmatching and this cannot be done by not having your right hand on the throttle.

For “normal” motorcycle operation, it should feel as if you’re in an automatic car as it goes through the gears. If you’re riding 2 up, your passenger will appreciate this as well.

There are some exceptions such as high acceleration in motorcycles that uses slipper clutches or with motorcycles that uses autoblip systems. But even that example will require your right hand on the throttle.

It is also possible to lock you rear and get into a slide during wet conditions while not using the correct method while riding.

I’m not here to shit on a product. Just providing important facts that some people might feel uncomfortable to explain.

Edit: grammar

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
After I get my Ultra Limited, I am going on school on my Vintage. I might consider this product. I've thought about a hand shifter. I know a lot of men on this forum use one daily.

·
Registered
292 Posts
After I get my Ultra Limited, I am going on school on my Vintage. I might consider this product. I've thought about a hand shifter. I know a lot of men on this forum use one daily.
I also have an Ultra Limited. Nice touring bike. Although for the price the ride should be a little smoother.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I also have an Ultra Limited. Nice touring bike. Although for the price the ride should be a little smoother.
I’ve toured with one. It has its weaknesses for sure. But the price for used ones seems reasonable enough. And to be honest it is still an enjoyable bike with a strong vintage feel of past glory.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts