Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
www.IndianAftermarket.com is now offering a suicide shifter for the 111/116 bikes. At first I thought it would just be a novel item for show bikes. But after riding with it I am not taking it off. It makes the bike even more fun to ride not to mention the attention it garners. This video shows how easy it is to install and how easy and natural it is to shift. It is not for everyone unless you own an Indian.
LINK: https://www.indianaftermarket.com/suicide-shifter.html

·
Registered
148 Posts
Never heard of a suicide shifter.
I have heard of a suicide clutch that is used with a hand shifter.
For the life of me, I can't figure out why you would want a jocky shifter on your throttle side. Makes no sense. Perhaps that is why you are calling it a suicide shifter?

·
Registered
292 Posts
For the life of me, I can't figure out why you would want a jocky shifter on your throttle side. Makes no sense. Perhaps that is why you are calling it a suicide shifter?
I can certainly see a use for this shifter in my case. I have nerve damage in my left foot and sometimes putting the bike in neutral can be troublesome. I'll often upshift because the feeling in my foot is quite diminished. A shifter like this would allow me to get into neutral much easier. I added a heel shifter to my Vintage before it left the dealer to make upshift much simpler.

On a bike like the Chief Vintage this shifter looks very retro and I like it. Plus, it in no way diminishes the use of the stock shifter.

I'll have to very seriously consider getting one.

·
Rider
599 Posts
Suicide shifter is a really old name for a hand shifter on a motorcycle. I think it’s a cool novelty item. Gives it the look of the old hand shift Indians. Im pretty sure you will never shift it as quick as a foot shift, but it is a cool attention getter

·
German Rider
1,207 Posts
@Marcus :
Just a question for my understanding...

Wouldn't it be better to change the shifting direction on the suicide shifter ? I mean from neutral, to first gear push it forward and to upshift the other gears pull it towards the rider instead of working against the g-force while acceleration ? That is what I would think to be logic. I would interested in such a version, but the price, s&h to germany plus custom duty taxes here and other charges that would apply here for "importing" from outside the EU. Also, would it fit on a 2018 Roadmaster with stoch crash bar and stock lowers incl. the air deflectors ?

BTW : Did you ever heard about this center stand for a Roadmaster.
I asked the seller about being Plug-N-Play and if it really work WITHOUT air ride, but never got an response to my question.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
77 Posts
EXACTLY.... a suicide clutch is spring loaded and accompanied with a jockey shift. If your foot slips off the pedal.... you're [email protected] the word suicide. That means you only have one leg to stand on when coming to a quick stop. Accompany that with NO front brake and then you have yourself a REAL suicide machine. (R.I.P. Panhead Mike)
Also not to be confused with the old heal / toe foot clutch. (TOE to GO set-up) which can be locked while engaged allowing you to place both feet on the ground.
This set-up on the right hand side is absolutely ridiculous...! You might as well add a clutch lever to it as well.........

·
Registered
159 Posts
Actually, Indian was always heel to go. "Toe to Go" was an HD expression.
FYI. ;)

·
Rider
1,156 Posts
While it has no appeal to me, because I'm OK with a foot shift and hand clutch, I have talked with riders who have installed and love the hand shifter on their Indians. [ The only thing "suicidal" about the modern device is that it does require removing your right hand from the right grip. And most of us do that regularly for whatever purposes that come to mind. ] They say that you have to back the throttle down anyway to shift, so moving your hand to the shift lever becomes second nature. And using the modern hand clutch [or, in theory, an old foot clutch] still works seamlessly, since it's on the left side of the bike. It makes a bit of sense, as long as you aren't big on using the front brake as your primary stopper AND you like to shift the tranny down as you slow the bike. Personally, I almost never use the rear brake, so having my hand on the front brake lever AND shifting down with my foot at the same time is akin to walking and breathing. I don't use the transmission for slowing, but my unconscious mind requires that while braking the transmission changes must be done together.
UPshifting by hand will be slower and less "seamless" compared to using your foot, but if you aren't in a hurry, maybe that won't seem like an issue.
An advantage to the modern accessory is that it does NOT replace the original foot-shift. So if a situation calls for foot operation, rather than the hand shifter, you can still use that method.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some people don't like the shifter knob being on the right side of the bike. But it is the best way since you need your left hand for the clutch. It is not for everyone and obviously it upsets some people. I find it makes riding the bike more fun.

·
Rider
619 Posts
I think this is cool as hell. Ok, hell isnt cool but you know what I mean. If I had a Chief, Vintage or maybe a Springfield I believe I would purchase this. But I have a Chieftain and I'm not sure the look would be the same.

·
Rider
900 Posts
I would rename us as a 'Tank Shift', that's actually what it is....just saying

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Loki
1 - 20 of 60 Posts