Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to go out for rides that are about 3 hours long, give or take. It's also frequently 100+ degrees here so I need to hydrate at least halfway through the ride. I'm struggling to figure out an easy way to carry a thermos of cold water. I have a few herniated discs so backpacks or camelbacks don't work too well. I have a seat cowl so strapping something behind me doesn't work too well either. I'd rather not put something that hard and bulky into a pocket due to risk of injury should I crash. I'd also rather avoid bulky bags mounted onto the bike or tank since this would basically be all I need to carry 99% of the time. What I'd like is to find a specifically-designed thermally-protected carrier for water that mounts somewhere unobtrusive on the bike... does such a thing exist? Am I missing an obvious option? Something akin to the old "water bottle mounted onto the down tube of a bicycle" only for a motorcycle and that would keep the water from heating up too much in the Texas weather. Thoughts?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really meant where do I put the bottle rather than how do I keep it cold. I don't have a place to mount a bag -- even a really light one -- and wearing a bag is rough on my back. Short of setting up some kind of mount for a side bag, I'd be left with a tank bag. I live in an apartment with a shared garage so I'd rather not have to strap / unstrap a tank bag every single time I take out the bike, and the lack of a metal tank means the magnetic attachments don't work.

·
Bronze member
2,247 Posts
You listed everywhere you could have put one. And you said you don’t want to put it there.

So you’re out of luck, you can always wear a fanny pack. Or just buy one where ever you get fuel. Since the ftr drinks it like water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You listed everywhere you could have put one. And you said you don’t want to put it there.

So you’re out of luck, you can always wear a fanny pack. Or just buy one where ever you get fuel. Since the ftr drinks it like water.
I guess I was just looking to see if I was missing something obvious. Thanks.

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
I really meant where do I put the bottle rather than how do I keep it cold. I don't have a place to mount a bag -- even a really light one -- and wearing a bag is rough on my back. Short of setting up some kind of mount for a side bag, I'd be left with a tank bag. I live in an apartment with a shared garage so I'd rather not have to strap / unstrap a tank bag every single time I take out the bike, and the lack of a metal tank means the magnetic attachments don't work.
I find the luggage rack handy, and also check this out, bolt-on saddlebag: https://www.endscuoio.com/wp-conten...-Indian-FTR-1200-S-Rally-KIOWA-Ends-Cuoio.jpg

·
Registered
371 Posts
Plenty of good tank bags that have powerful magnets. Although straps are provided, not necessary on a good bag.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Can you tape/glue some metal on the underside of the covers that the magnets would be able to attach to? I've seen that before, just don't remember where or when. :p

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
497 Posts
What Warshawsky suggested, and then mount it on the forks like a tool kit right below the light.

·
Rider
1,168 Posts
How about hooking the water bottle to your belt or belt loop with a carabiner?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That would be way too simple
The last thing I want is to crash with a bulky hard object attached to my body.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid; but in my youth, I knew an ex-cop that had fallen while off duty with a holstered handgun in the small of his back. It caused enough of a spinal injury that he was forced to retire due to disability. Additionally, I have an uncle that tripped in a parking lot on his way out from work... it should have been no big deal -- maybe a scraped elbow or whatever. However, because he hit one of those wheel stop bumpers, he's now paralyzed from the waist down.

It's why I said I didn't want it in a pocket, nor am I keen on fanny packs (sorry, Brits... I know that term bothers you) and I was actually not too fond of wearing a backpack even back when I wasn't experiencing back problems from herniated discs.

Maybe you think I'm being silly, but I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to deal with 100+ degree heat by putting on ATGATT with all kinds of armor... and then up my risk of injury by hooking a bone-breaker somewhere onto my body.

·
Rider
1,168 Posts
I am sincerely not being sarcastic, but it sounds to me like if you go down, no matter what, you are going to be SOL. If you are willing to ride with the issues you have described, I don't think a bottle hooked to your pants is going to matter.
As far as the cop and his gun, he was stupid to carry it there. They tell you that early on in gun training.
Your uncle's mishap? You risk that sort of thing every day you get out of bed and leave the house. When I was 20 and in great physical shape and prime health I picked up a gum wrapper in the yard and threw out my back. 2 weeks of agony in bed and drugged to the gills.
If you want a life of absolute minimum risk, perhaps riding a motorcycle should not be on your list of activities.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts