Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

Does anyone have any suggestions for changes to do on my 2020 Indian Scout pertaining to do with fatigue in my right hand? When I'm cruising for longer than 20 or 30 minutes, my right hand starts to hurt and feel really fatigued. I can ride through it, it's just uncomfortable.

For reference, I have been riding street bikes for almost 10 years. Have owned and traveled multiple states on my 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3, 2018 Kawasaki NINJA 400, and my Yamaha V-Star 250. I have no problems riding for hours on my NINJA and R3; however, on the Scout, this here, is quite an annoyance to bear.

·
Silver member
4,987 Posts
Reactions: Kost

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use some grip covers made with a wetsuit material,the larger OD is more comfortable for me.Don't have brand name but purchased at local BMW shop.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good question. My springfield wears my hand out and I've ridden on two wheels for over 40 years. The throttle boss does not work for me... gets in the way in town and is always needing adjustment for the highway. I did find a pair of lambskin vented gloves that have helped a bit.

·
Founding member
2,171 Posts
I've loved the Crampbuster for many years - very affordable ~ $10. Even though I have cruise on my Chieftain, I still have the Crampbuster for in town/short-ride use ... it allows you to take the pressure off your grip and use the palm of your hand to maintain speed. For the duration of your rides as you describe the pain, I highly recommend trying it.

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
Try a pair of the riding gloves with the fingers cut off as that's what they're made for.That's what I've been using for years now and no longer have the fatique like I used to get.And they're not that expensive.Don't buy em from a bike Stealership cause they stick it to ya! Shop around or buy em from Amazon! Whadaya have to lose other then a few bucks!!

·
Bronze member
1,954 Posts
Yep, skinny grips on the Scout. Obviously wearing gloves helps.

I also used a Cramp Buster because I didn’t want to change the grips at first.
Eventually I replaced with the Kuryakyn Spear grips.
Soon after added their Transformer throttle boss. Not said to fit but does.
I tried to take the ISO throttle boss off my old Yamaha (ISO grips) but it wouldn’t go on the Spear grip, even after grinding a lot of metal off.

Reactions: Eeyore

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
If you were riding a Chief, I would say to use the cruise control, but you ride a Scout. Either rubber or leather grip covers(cheapest solution), a nice pair of lambskin or goatskin gloves (necessary either way), or new cushioned, isolating grips (the most expensive solution). I, also, never liked those Throttle Boss things.
Good luck! Ride safe and stay healthy!
Seeya!

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
I just looked em up on Amazon and I stand corrected on the price.Holy shit!! They went UP since I bought mine 8 or 10 years ago!! lol lol Things have certainly changed! The cheapest pair I saw on there was ten bucks [if I remember right that's what I paid for mine but that was 8 or 10 years ago] and those were made for mountain biking which mine were too,but they worked for me,so they should work for you too.So unless you can find a pair cheaper,which I doubt,buy these to try em.If they work out for ya,but ya want somethin fancier, then shop around as you'll find em all over the place price wise.[I think I'll put some gold trim around the finger tips on mine to dress em up alittle,whadaya think??? ] lol lol Dave!!!

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
I just looked em up on Amazon and I stand corrected on the price.Holy shit!! They went UP since I bought mine 8 or 10 years ago!! lol lol Things have certainly changed! The cheapest pair I saw on there was ten bucks [if I remember right that's what I paid for mine but that was 8 or 10 years ago] and those were made for mountain biking which mine were too,but they worked for me,so they should work for you too.So unless you can find a pair cheaper,which I doubt,buy these to try em.If they work out for ya,but ya want somethin fancier, then shop around as you'll find em all over the place price wise.[I think I'll put some gold trim around the finger tips on mine to dress em up alittle,whadaya think??? ] lol lol Dave!!!
Maybe put a dab of oil on them! Hahaha! Just an inside joke between @Davetac1 and me! Just ignore this suggestion! Lol! Doh!!!

·
Silver member
4,495 Posts
I use the Crampbusters as well. The only place in town that I know of who carries them is the Harley shop. I get them in silver, and always keep an extra set in my saddlebag. When one breaks, I whup out the spare, then ride over to the Harley shop to get another one. You never know.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree with the cut-off gloves. I got some at a leather shop (about $20) with a thin gel pad in the palms. They Really help.

·
Rider
1,224 Posts
I had a throttle lock on my olf Road Star. Made a big difference, especially on longer trips. There were a couple on J&P Cycles for $25 - $35. I don't know for sure that they do and don't fit, but I like these better than the crampbuster. You can take your right hand off the throttle and maintain you speed.

I think that BrakeAway makes one that disengages automatically when you apply your front brake, it's quite a bit more expensive, though.

BD

·
Bronze Member
1,659 Posts
In my book, the Brake-away is the top of the line clamp type throttle lock made. There is a lot of high-end machine work in them. I put one on my wife's V-star 1100 and a friend's softail. But man are they expensive$$$! IIRC my wife's was around $300, and that was 10 years ago.

·
Rider
1,224 Posts
In my book, the Brake-away is the top of the line clamp type throttle lock made. There is a lot of high-end machine work in them. I put one on my wife's V-star 1100 and a friend's softail. But man are they expensive$$$! IIRC my wife's was around $300, and that was 10 years ago.
The one I had on my Roadie was not the BrakeAway, wish I could remember what it was. I just saw it on Amazon for about a buck-eighty. Yea, expensive, but that's what I would put on my bike if I didn't already have real cruize control ! ! !

BD

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
GRIP Puppies, they will cure your grip problems.

·
Bronze member
1,439 Posts
I don’t have a problem with holding the throttle. However I wrapped my grips with black leather. Sewed at the bottom. This makes for a larger diameter grip. This in itself makes the grips easier to hold onto. Or you can buy larger dia. Grips. Other than that it would be in your best interest to use the spring type hand exercisers that you squeeze. Builds better hand strength. By having a stronger grip No throttle will bother you. This may also save you some day if you need to man handle the bike if things go wrong in a turn or off camber slide. Just my opinion.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
I don’t have a problem with holding the throttle. However I wrapped my grips with black leather. Sewed at the bottom. This makes for a larger diameter grip. This in itself makes the grips easier to hold onto. Or you can buy larger dia. Grips. Other than that it would be in your best interest to use the spring type hand exercisers that you squeeze. Builds better hand strength. By having a stronger grip No throttle will bother you. This may also save you some day if you need to man handle the bike if things go wrong in a turn or off camber slide. Just my opinion.
There's another throttle hand exercise, but it requires a lubricant and a bit of privacy. Hahaha!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts