Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 2 20.0%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I'm in the market for a replacement seat on my 21' challenger. The stock seat is good as far as stock seats go, and I put 10k on it last year but I've made the decision that this bike is going to be a long term thing so I'm looking to upgrade to a long term seating solution.

Not a lot out there for us though...

I came up with 3 options that I would consider based on the reputations of the companies and the seats they've produced for other bikes/brands.

Corbin dual tour - Most expensive of the 3 options but also the most customizable. I love the options.
Saddlemen RS - Everyone I talk to that has a road sofa loves it. Second most expensive.
Mustang ST - The Mustang standard tour looks nice and I've heard good things about the company but I really don't know anyone who has used them. Most affordable.
I'm open to other suggestions as well so if you have one please reply.

I'm 5'10, 225lbs and shockingly enough, looking for all day comfort in the saddle ;-0
Heating and cooling is not a priority but tbh, I've never had it so I don't know what I'm missing, if anything.
Styling does matter to an extent but will take comfort over styling if I have to choose.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,846 Posts
I tried the Saddlemen and sold it after 500mi. It was like sitting on a rock. I believe Ultimate wasn't on your list either and typically is well reviewed for other bikes. I got tired of waiting for the Ultimate so I went and had my seat customized by Seth Laam. I posted about it and another member just recently did as well. It's not your typical looking seat but I put over 1050mi on in a single day on it. I'm 5'10" and was about 250lbs when I had it done. I love it.

Russels Day Long is another popular one but it's months to get it done. There are a couple examples of people that got them on their Challenger.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a Saddleman Road Sofa in the for sale section. It’s cheaper than new, heated also. Just was too firm for me or I didn’t have the patience to finish breaking it in. It has roughly 1500 miles on it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have the road sofa as well. But I ain’t selling mine! I love the thing. Maybe I’m just a weirdo but it was comfy from the moment I put it on. The more it breaks in the better it gets.

The stock seat was okay also. My only complaint was it killed my tailbone after about 8 hours.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Limited, Ruby Red Metallic
318 Posts
Just a suggestion here......I bought the Indian Extended Reach seat because I'm 6'2" and 225lbs......needed the room. Liked the seat, but the comfort is, well, less than desirable.

I sent the seat to meancitycycles.com. They can do almost anything to a seat to make it comfortable. I put on double decker foam. Didn't change the appearance of the seat and added comfort.....How dey do dat?.....no idea, but now I can ride without my ass going numb. Just a thought, and I was not paid for this endorsement. YMMV.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger...Sandstone Smoke
1,217 Posts
I'll have to add my 2 cents. I'll never own a bike without a Russell Day Long seat, nothing better if you want all day comfort. Although, that comfort comes at a price, these seats are not cheap. You send them a stock seat(I bought one off fleabay for $100) so I could still ride. Along with seat you send them pictures of you and your passenger on the bike ( instructions on their website) along with some height and weight measurements and they custom make the seat for you. You can add heat, which I did, it's always nice on those cool mornings riding to work. You can also chose color and fabric, I'm kinda partial to the sunbrella fabric for the top, just picture a very heavy canvas material. It doesn't soak up the sun like leather or vinyl so it's not real hot if your bike has to sit out in the sun. Also can add a rider backrest which I did. You can also send them a passenger backrest or back pad from a trunk set up and have it recovered to match, I did not have this done. Check out their site or just give them a call...great people to deal with.

Here's a couple pics of mine

Grey Sports equipment Gas Automotive tire Auto part
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Fixture
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Car seat cover Head restraint

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had various seats over the years. If you absolutely want the best, its the Russel Day Long. I have spent several 1000 mile days and numerous 600 to 800 mile days on my BMW. Leaving for Shasta Lake on May 15 for a custom fit at the factory, but sending in your seat also works. Just needed an excuse for a ride. Can't go wrong with a custom Day Long.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,001 Posts
One option I was looking for at as well is the new Indian Climate seat. The cooling sound like a great option for summer days

·
Registered
279 Posts
My brother swears by Mustang seats, but he rides a HD. 😉
I had a Corbin Gunslinger on my Scout and it was a huge step up from stock, but I’m pleased with the stock Challenger seat - so far.

·
Registered
544 Posts
One option I was looking for at as well is the new Indian Climate seat. The cooling sound like a great option for summer days
That’s the seat I have now. The heat works awesome and the cool hasn’t been tested much since it hasn’t been summer temps since I put it on. Closest was like upper 70’s low 80’s last week and it was a comfort to have it one. I’m just across the bridge from you in VA, so temps are the same. I have a summer trip planned so I hope it’s worth it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,001 Posts
That’s the seat I have now. The heat works awesome and the cool hasn’t been tested much since it hasn’t been summer temps since I put it on. Closest was like upper 70’s low 80’s last week and it was a comfort to have it one. I’m just across the bridge from you in VA, so temps are the same. I have a summer trip planned so I hope it’s worth it.
How is it for comfort, pillion as well if you have a passenger.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input guys.
The RDL does look comfy.
I've heard the material on the mustang seats are a bit "tacky" as in you need to lift up to adjust yourself... anyone?
Sat on a buddy's Saddlemen and it was stiff. His wife has a bad tail bone though and swears by it so go figure.
The search continues...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'll have to add my 2 cents. I'll never own a bike without a Russell Day Long seat, nothing better if you want all day comfort. Although, that comfort comes at a price, these seats are not cheap. You send them a stock seat(I bought one off fleabay for $100) so I could still ride. Along with seat you send them pictures of you and your passenger on the bike ( instructions on their website) along with some height and weight measurements and they custom make the seat for you. You can add heat, which I did, it's always nice on those cool mornings riding to work. You can also chose color and fabric, I'm kinda partial to the sunbrella fabric for the top, just picture a very heavy canvas material. It doesn't soak up the sun like leather or vinyl so it's not real hot if your bike has to sit out in the sun. Also can add a rider backrest which I did. You can also send them a passenger backrest or back pad from a trunk set up and have it recovered to match, I did not have this done. Check out their site or just give them a call...great people to deal with.

Here's a couple pics of mine

View attachment 686505 View attachment 686506 View attachment 686507

Third bike and allhave Russell’s.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you are looking for the most comfortable seat I don't think you can beat the Russell's. It is legendary and while I have never used one I believe it because there are a lot of testimonials.

I voted for the Corbin Dual Tour and that is what I have. I had one on my Scout and several other bikes as well. Purchased other seats but the Corbin Dual Tour was really all I needed. It is versatile. Now for the best comfort with my Corbin I use Air Hawks. Some people do well with the Corbin all by itself after it is broken in. I just don't think I ride enough to get there. I tried Air Hawks with other seats but for me the Air Hawk works best with a firm base like the Corbin. I can ride all day with that combo. My nice also liked it when she rode with me. ( My brother tried my Air Hawk once and he said he felt floaty on it and couldn't stand it.) The thing is you will get completely over that floaty feeling in a short time. I can make mine feel floaty if I work at it but it never dose just on it's own. And the secret to the Air Hawk is to let as much air out as you can and sitll get the benifits so it is only raising you 18th to 1/4 inch if you get it right.
my 2 cents.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I looked at the Russell website and I'm a bit confused...
Is true that the only way you can get one is to send them a stock seat and have them re-build it?
Can you just order a seat?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,846 Posts
You have to send them a seat to rebuild. Every now and then you can find a stock seat for sale, buy that, send it, then sell your stock once you get the new one back.

I sent mine to Seth Laam to have redone and it's a similar style to RDL. I was without a seat for about 9 weeks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts