Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Chief Classic.
Was there ever a fix for this?
Startles the crap out of me when this happens. My only solution is to use my clutch at all slowdowns to a stop.

·
Founding member
1,267 Posts
Do you have a PVCX? I believe if you do there was some talk about adjusting Table 3 idle values...

·
Registered
273 Posts
2015 Chief Classic.
Was there ever a fix for this?
Startles the crap out of me when this happens. My only solution is to use my clutch at all slowdowns to a stop.
I experience the same problem! My 2015 Vintage is stock and it has done the same thing since I got it! My Service department hasn't been able to fix the problem so I have learned to live with it!

Anybody out there ever have this problem address and fixed?

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Founding member
1,267 Posts
If the cause is what I think, it can only be resolved by how you use your clutch at low rpms and speed. If you had a PVCX, I believe you could adjust your bikes tune to something more comfortable. I'm not an expert by even the farthest stretch, but I was reading about this somewhere else on the Forums the other day.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
its the brain box keeping the rpm's up...even my Roadmaster does it if I wait to long to grab the clutch slowing down....welcome to the world of fuel injected bikes......

·
Bronze member
2,828 Posts
It's just one more malady (like clacking) that constantly reappears in here... Point is, we've already beaten this horse.

You have two choices: You get the PVCX and use the procedure to rid yourself of the " injector cut-in during Decel" ... Or you live with it..

This issue affects Scouts and 111's - It is another example of Polaris's pedestrian capability, or nearly complete inability, to properly program the ME17 in order to produce properly running motorcycles.. Producing year after year's worth of motorcycles with such an obvious programming flaw is a real head scratcher.. Just WHO IS factory programming these Indians - morons, practical jokers, the janitors..?

I love my Indians tho..

·
Bronze member
1,594 Posts
I noticed this too when I got my new 2016 Classic and actually didn't even know how to put it into words to explain it to my dealer. It's a little "lunge" at very slow speed as you're decelerating -- don't remember if it's only in any particular gear, but I don't think so -- at something like 3-4 MPH, right? I just got used to it real quickly and don't really give it a second thought now, but I don't know if it's an actual performance "flaw" or not. Is it a real "thing?" Fungus' "keeping the RPMs up" above seems to be a good description of it...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
yep....I'd bet money on it...the brain box is keeping the rpm's up and when you get below that point the "surge" happens.....it's a learning curve coming from years of carburetor bikes......

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
yep....I'd bet money on it...the brain box is keeping the rpm's up and when you get below that point the "surge" happens.....it's a learning curve coming from years of carburetor bikes......
This +1. It is a feature, not a design flaw. It is supposed to keep the bike from stalling out if the RPMs drop too far...although I will concede that it is a bit startling the first few times that it happens.

Reactions: Pelofske

·
Registered
2008 Victory Vision 2016 Victory Vision 2020 Indian Challenger
828 Posts
There was a flash for that a year or 2 ago.
I was getting that surge on decel at low speeds. Not so funny when going into a sharp downhill switchback! The flash fixed it.

·
Founding member
570 Posts
My fear has always been for this to happen when I'm in heavy traffic, slowing to a stop, to make a left turn. Wham! Surge into oncoming traffic and I'm dead. :( I've complained about it since '14 and I always get the"you don't know what the **** you're talking about" look from the service dept. It doesn't do it all the time, and in 3 1/2 years, there is no "getting used to it", it always startles me.

·
Silver member
5,285 Posts
All you have to do is drop it down to 1st. If your under 10 mph in 2nd it will do that.

Mine did it a few times early then it stopped. Almost like the adaptive learning had learned my riding skill. Then I flashed mine with a fuel moto tune. Same thing as above. Surged a few times, learned my style, and it went away!

·
Founding member
1,267 Posts
My fear has always been for this to happen when I'm in heavy traffic, slowing to a stop, to make a left turn. Wham! Surge into oncoming traffic and I'm dead. :( I've complained about it since '14 and I always get the"you don't know what the **** you're talking about" look from the service dept. It doesn't do it all the time, and in 3 1/2 years, there is no "getting used to it", it always startles me.
I'm surprised you haven't adjusted the way you use your clutch... I remember the first time it happened also, about this same time 4 years ago... I was going to talk to my dealer about it when I went in for the 500 miles service... Well when I went in for that service I had already changed how I used the clutch and all but forgot it had ever happened... Now 60k plus miles later, it is a long ago part of changing my riding style to suit my current bike...

·
Silver member
4,714 Posts
It is the fuel-cut on RPM that is set in the Idle 3d table in the ECU. It is easy enough to fix, but you need an PVCX to do it. So when you are decelerating using the engine for braking the ECU cuts the fuel off to the engine. To prevent stalling, the ECU will cut it back on to maintain a certain RPM depending on the speed of the vehicle and gear you are in.

Here is the old stock factory setting for this table:
Text Calendar Green Font Number

Notice in second gear it is 1k at 12.43 MPH. On your bike (2015 stock) it is 1250 RPM...which in either case too high and provides a "surge", which IMO dangerous.

Here is the new table that the factory is setting this table to:
Text Green Turquoise Font Teal

Notice this table is now set to the idle speed, in this case 800 RPM. This prevent the "surge". I believe it was through our discussion of this over a year ago that drove Polaris to change this setting on newer calibrations.

But in any case, either the dealer can flash a newer calibration that has this setting changed, or you can take ownership over your tune by getting a PVCX and changing this table.

·
Rider
702 Posts
This solved it for me along with Craigs expertise with the PVCX!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
You can pretty much get rid of it if you use the PVCX and raise the idle RPM. I like the low, loping idle. I have learned long ago to have my hand on the clutch on deceleration and going around slow corners, and have learned to pull the clutch about the time the "surge" kicks in. It's just a talent you have to learn when you ride an Indian!

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All you have to do is drop it down to 1st. If your under 10 mph in 2nd it will do that.

Mine did it a few times early then it stopped. Almost like the adaptive learning had learned my riding skill. Then I flashed mine with a fuel moto tune. Same thing as above. Surged a few times, learned my style, and it went away!
This won't help as The Surge happens before that.

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I shouldn't have to pay all the money for a tuner to get my Indian to do something that it shouldn't do anyway. To me this is a real safety issue. I fear that one of these days its going to catch me off guard and I will hit something.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts