Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I got myself a real Amerikan bike I'm going to Sturgis next year. I'm staying at the KOA in Hill City,SD since the other KOA's are pretty muched booked up already. I could not get a cabin till the 6th to the 10th. This KOA is the closest to Mt Rushmore and about 55 miles to Sturgis. Figure it'll be far enough from the "Maddening Crowd" and I've been there before. This is one of the largest KOA's I've ever stayed at with an on site restaurant. Maybe there will be some meeting points for riders to converge at on the way there or the way back home. I'm currently in North Cali. Guess the bucket list will be checked off as well.

Reactions: A-58 and Telly03

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd love to see how many of the numbered bikes can make it there as well. We could line 'em up by number and see how Indian decided to build them by color and model. Maybe the Saturday at Indians demo site?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I was thinking of riding from Florida but haven't bothered to look for a place to stay. The year before we shipped Harley's and I loved the week before the crowds came and left Tuesday of bike week.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I rode to Sturgis in 1991 at the age of 21 and I was stunned. The bikes, the vendors...everything. Just stunned.

Would I go to Sturgis again? Definitely. Would I go during the rally? Probably not. I'm fortunate enough to live in a place where I can hit two huge rallies each year, right in my back yard (Daytona) and get the "vendor" experience. How many patches from "Hot Leathers" does one biker really need?

What will pull me back to SD someday is the amazing rides. And next time I'll go when I don't have to ride my clutch bumper to bumper with 500,000 other bikes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
A few years ago, me and a couple friends decided we were going to Sturgis. We rented a house for the week, got flights for our wives and scheduled or vacations from work. Then we found out that we would be there the week before the rally. We were bummed about it, even though we knew that the vendors had to be set up by Thursday before the rally. We had a great week. Ther were still plenty of bikes in the area, but you never had to wait in long lines. On Saturday at the start of the rally, I waited 35 minutes at a gas pump, to fill up to stay home, and that was in Spearfish.
We would definitely like to go again, but would probably go the week before the rally again to avoid the crowds on the roads. I don't ride in parades here and I sure don't want to travel 1600 miles to spend 5 days riding in a steady parade. But that's just me, if you are looking for the rally experience, you will have a great time.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
My Lady and I plus another couple are planned to be out there about a week before the rally as well.
I'm glad to hear that others on this forum had a great time!
I just reserved a place in Deadwood, $300.00 for 5 days a week before the official kick off of the rally, then it goes up to $1,500 for that week.
It looked to be an interesting place for it being 15 miles from Sturgis.
On top of that, I'll be riding my new Roadmaster! :)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Thanks, I'll read up on some history of that place before heading on out here.
I'm hearing that with Sturgis 75th the travel tourism for South Dakota is saying, upwards to 3/4 to a million people will be there. Damn!

·
Registered
179 Posts
We spent time in Deadwood on our trip also. Above the Number 10 saloon there is a restaurant called the Deadwood Social Club, had a great elk t-bone there. The Number 10 Saloon houses the chair that Wild Bill was sitting in when he was killed. Also spent some time in the jewelry stores there, since the leader of the opposition party insisted that had to be part of any visit to Deadwood. I will try to post some pictures maybe tomorrow from my computer of the hall storm that hit when we were in Deadwood. They had to plow it off of the street.

·
Registered
738 Posts
DAMMIT! STOP IT!! You guys are getting me too freaking' excited about finally getting to Sturgis! I've dreamt about going on my BMW but now that I've added the Scout it just seems even more pressing. Somehow in my mind, there is just something PERFECT about going to Sturgis on an Indian - something the thought of a Harley never did for me. Would love to meet up with some of you there. I definitely have to consider this!

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
We spent time in Deadwood on our trip also. Above the Number 10 saloon there is a restaurant called the Deadwood Social Club, had a great elk t-bone there. The Number 10 Saloon houses the chair that Wild Bill was sitting in when he was killed. Also spent some time in the jewelry stores there, since the leader of the opposition party insisted that had to be part of any visit to Deadwood. I will try to post some pictures maybe tomorrow from my computer of the hall storm that hit when we were in Deadwood. They had to plow it off of the street.
Had dents in my Road King fuel tank from hail between Deadwood and Hill City.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Wow Wrench!
I'm not making fun of you having dents in your gas tank, just more of a chuckle of Holy Wah!!!
GordonS, please do get yourself revved.
It's a small town there, I can't see why not.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As promised here are a few pictures from the hail storm while my wife and I were in Deadwood in 2010. As a little back story, we had rented a 5 bedroom house with a 3 car garage for 10 days for the trip. There were 4 couple that went on the trip, was supposed to be 5, but one had to back out. The guys rode the 1600 miles to Spearfish, leaving Pennsylvania on Wednesday morning and super slabbing it the whole way. Normally the ride is about the journey, this time it was all about the destination and we couldn't wait to get there. Friday afternoon we were moving in to the house and checking out the area. On Sunday the wives flew in to Rapid City, and my wife had decided to get a rental car to carry their gear and clothes, which lightened up our scoots for the trip. The owners of the home were nice people, and made some suggestions for places to eat, and mentioned that if we decided to walk around the area after dark, don't do it alone since they have a couple of lions in the area, and don't stray far out of the yard because of rattlesnakes. It was a beautiful place in a cul-de-sac out in the country. deer and turkeys would walk through the yard every evening and morning, yet we were less than a mile from a big Walmart, a hotel, and I-90.
On the morning of the storm, the radio station from Rapid City had a severe storm warning with dangerous lightening and hail. We discussed where we wanted to go at breakfast, some of the couples had decided to stay at the house and wait out the storm, my wife and I took the rental car(Jeep) into Deadwood rather than sit in the house. We had just parked in a parking garage, and walked up the street to the first jewelry store that she saw when the storm hit. It started with winds, thunder and lightening, and frog choking rain. When the hail started, it was putting off car alarms in the street and debris was washing down the hill, through town. When the storm let up, and we walked outside, the ice laying every where had dropped the temperature about 20° and had created a fog.
After checking out town for a few hours, we walked down the hill to the parking garage to find that the lower end was under water. It seemed that fortune was on our side, because we had parked on higher ground in the garage, and with the Jeep we drove through the knee high water to leave the parking garage. There were quite a few bikes parked in the garage out of the storm, some stranded on high ground. They were going to have to wait for the storm drains and pumps to carry away the water before they would be exiting. There were a few bikes parked along the street, including a nice CVO, that had some minor damage from the storm, but not as bad as I would have thought. One of the first people driving down the street after the storm was a guy on a Tri-glide.
IMG_1622.JPG
IMG_1627.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG
IMG_1667.JPG

1 - 20 of 40 Posts