Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From The Factory:

INDIAN MOTORCYCLE TO ELECTRIFY STURGIS, HISTORY®, AND THE MOTORCYCLING WORLD WITH REVEAL OF 2014 INDIAN CHIEF®

Choice in American Motorcycles is Coming: Most Significant Motorcycle Introduction in Decades; Saturday, August 3 at 8 p.m. in Downtown Sturgis
MEDINA, Minn. — June 24, 2013 — Indian Motorcycles, America’s first motorcycle company, today released the schedule and additional details of one of the most highly anticipated and historic motorcycling events in decades —the reveal of the all-new 2014 Indian® Chief. Two and a half years in the making, the reveal party will be a thrilling inauguration to both the 73rd Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally and this brilliant new motorcycle. Today’s news follows the company’s May milestone announcement that the completely redesigned 2014 Indian Chief, powered by the new Thunder Stroke 111 engine,will start at $18,999. Here's a short, sneak peek video of the new 2014 Indian Chief:

<iframe src='http://www.youtube.com/embed/BhDvAqLeE8E?wmode=transparent' frameborder='0' width='550' height='438'></iframe>
<strong style='font-size: 14px;'>History-in-the-Making: Indian Chief Reveal Party &ndash; Saturday, August 3, 8 p.m., 999 Main Street, Sturgis Motorcycle Museum and Hall of Fame[/b]
Indian Motorcycle invites all motorcycle riders and enthusiasts to experience a new era in American motorcycling with the public unveiling of the 2014 Indian Chief. The historic reveal will take place at the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum, located at the corner of Junction and Main Street. The event is free of charge and features live music, celebrity appearances including Mike Wolfe of HISTORY&rsquo;s wildly popular television series, American Pickers, interviews with Indian Motorcycle team members, a multimedia tribute to Indian Motorcycle&rsquo;s history and more.
&ldquo;The Sturgis Rally was started in 1936 by the local Indian Motorcycle club, the Jackpine Gypsies, and has grown to become the world&rsquo;s largest motorcycle rally, drawing riders from across the globe. We found it fitting to unveil the new Indian Motorcycle at Sturgis given its heritage at this signature motorcycle event,&rdquo; said Vice President of Polaris Motorcycles Steve Menneto. &ldquo;Our team has put their hearts and souls into the design and development of the 2014 Indian Chief. Sturgis is the perfect place to unveil the next generation of Indian motorcycles and share the message that choice in American motorcycling is finally here in the form of the stunning new Indian Chief.&rdquo;Choice is Here: Explore the 2014 Indian Chief at Sturgis
The company also announced a weeklong schedule of events designed to introduce the motorcycle community to the new Indian Chief. Here's the schedule of activities:

<h3>Indian Chief Reveal Party
Saturday, August 3, 8pm999 Main Street, Sturgis Motorcycle Museum &amp; Hall of Fame</h3>
You&rsquo;re invited to attend the free, public unveiling of the all-new 2014 Indian&reg; Chief&reg;. This historic event features live music, a celebrity appearance from Mike Wolfe, American Picker. Interviews with Indian Motorcycle team members, an audio/ video tribute to Indian Motorcycle&rsquo;s history and more.
Indian Motorcycle Display2nd ∓ Lazelle St.Saturday, August 3 &ndash; Saturday, August 3 from 9am &ndash; 6pm
the Indian Motorcycle display in Downtown Sturgis and find product demonstrations, display bikes, apparel sales, accessory displays, and a stationary demo bike, where riders can experience the power and feel of the new Thunder Stroke&trade; 111 engine. The exhibit will also feature an array of heritage Indian motorcycles including a vintage Indian Chief, the world famous, &ldquo;Munro Special,&rdquo; and the recently unveiled tribute &ldquo;Spirit of Munro&rdquo; custom streamliner, together for the first time.
Mike Wolfe, American picker, will sign autographs at the Indian Motorcycle&reg; display on 2nd and Lazelle St. on Saturday, August 3rd from 2-4pm.
Indian Motorcycle Demo ExperienceI-90 and Exit 30Sunday, August 4 &ndash; Saturday, August 10 from 9am &ndash; 6pm
Be one of the first to ride the all-new 2014 Indian Chief at the Indian Motorcycle Demo Experience. Rides led daily, with the first ride leaving at 9:15am, last ride at 5:30pm. Riders must be 18 years of age, provide proof of endorsement along with a helmet and appropriate riding attire to demo.
Indian Motorcycle Night at the Sturgis Buffalo Chip&reg;Sturgis Buffalo Chip&reg; Campgrounds, 20622 131st AvenueFriday, August 9, 7pm
Throughout the Sturgis Rally, Indian Motorcycle will host events at multiple locations, including a display at 2<sup>nd</sup>and Lazelle Street in downtown Sturgis. From 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily attendees will have the opportunity to get up close and personal with the all-new Indian Chief. The Indian Motorcycle Experience at Lazelle Street will include product demonstrations, display bikes, apparel sales, and accessory displays. The exhibit will also feature an array of heritage Indian motorcycles including vintage Chief models, the world famous &ldquo;Munro Special&rdquo; and the recently unveiled tribute 'Spirit of Munro' custom streamliner&mdash; together for the first time.
<span>Get Up Close and Personal: Take a Demo Ride on the all-new 2014 Indian Chief</span>
Licensed motorcyclists at Sturgis are invited to be among the first in the world to ride motorcycling&rsquo;s hottest new bike &mdash; the new 2014 Indian Chief. Demos will be offered daily from 9 a.m. &ndash; 6 p.m., Sunday, August 4 through Saturday, August 10. Demo rides are available at the Indian Motorcycle Hospitality venue just off Hwy I-90 at Exit 30. Riders must be 18 years of age and must provide proof of endorsement along with a helmet and appropriate riding attire.
<strong style='font-size: 14px;'>Indian Motorcycle Night at the Buffalo Chip, Friday, August 9 &ndash; Buffalo Chip, 20622 131st Ave, Sturgis[/b]
Indian Motorcycle will host a party on Friday, August 9 at Sturgis&rsquo; famous Buffalo Chip, known as the Largest Music Festival in Motorcycling &trade;. In addition to reggae rock fusion band Sublime with Rome performing live on the Chip&rsquo;s main stage, Indian Motorcycle will feature a unique display of vintage and antique Indian motorcycles, special promotions and appearances.
<strong style='font-size: 14px;'>Indian Motorcycle Sponsors &lsquo;Bike Week 2013&rsquo; on HISTORY[/b]
Indian Motorcycle also announced its first-ever title sponsorship of &lsquo;Bike Week&rsquo; on HISTORY, featuring a line-up of motorcycle-themed television shows airing concurrently with the Sturgis Rally from August 5-9, 2013. As a lead-up to &lsquo;Bike Week,&rsquo; beginning mid-July HISTORY will air vignettes highlighting the rich heritage and important milestones in the long and storied history of the Indian Motorcycle brand. The segments will explore the people, product innovations, racing accomplishments, industry firsts, and rich military heritage of one of America&rsquo;s most iconic brands. &ldquo;We are thrilled to be partnering with HISTORY,&rdquo; said Rod Krois, Marketing Director, Indian Motorcycle. &ldquo;Given the network&rsquo;s passion for motorcycle content and our shared audience, we&rsquo;ve found the perfect broadcast partner.&rdquo;
In addition, HISTORY will broadcast the national unveiling of the 2014 Indian Chief during American Pickers on Monday, August 5, and will air highlights of the Sturgis festivities later in the week.
As part of the build-up to Bike Week and the Indian Motorcycle launch, Indian continues its &ldquo;Choice&rdquo; campaign with a new broadcast spot, &ldquo;Bike Wash.&rdquo; See the spot here: http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/introduction/video/jul-13-tv-commercial
<h3> </h3>

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In the spirit of compettion, it's funny, but real world is Victory only has a small market share vs. the GIANT. And they always seem late to the party with accessories and addressing some simple issues.

I would hope they (Polaris ) are 'ready' now that they're again kicking sand at HD with a quality, affordable bike with at least 'basic' accessories.

Don't get me wrong as I've owned 5 Vics and really like the company, but it would realy have to be a real home run to think they'll pulll that many riders away from big Momma.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While the introduction of the first 'All-in-house' engineered new Indian will be a major milestone for Polaris/Indian, if all they do is release ONE new Indian bike for 2014 I will be laughing my a$$ off.
Please tell me they have a couple more models for the dealers to sell?????

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1522 said:
While the introduction of the first 'All-in-house' engineered new Indian will be a major milestone for Polaris/Indian, if all they do is release ONE new Indian bike for 2014 I will be laughing my a$$ off.
There will be 3 models.... The Red one, the black one and the blue one :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
**EDIT**there was a little hiccup with the VOG....this is in response Andy's post below this on bikes havingadd-on parts**

If they honestly do that, then I will be very happy I sat on the sidelines and didn't buy another bike just yet.....but I'm not sure they have that much foresight. Honestly, if the seat height is low enough, they really don't need 3-5 different 'cruisers' if everything just bolts on.
They could then concentrate on engineering other ideas like a cafe racer, or anything else they so desired.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<pre><span>Could it be possible that the Indian Chief will be like a Core bike and
they will have fairings, lowers, bags and other accessories to make
it have different functions and have one bike become many bikes?

Kind of like the differences between a basic Cross Roads and a Cross Country Tour?</span></pre>

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<pre><span>Could it be possible that the Indian Chief will be like a Core bike and
they will have fairings, lowers, bags and other accessories to make
it have different functions and have one bike become many bikes?

Kind of like the differences between a basic Cross Roads and a Cross Country Tour?

That would be the smartest way to do things the way I see it but then again I'm a Vision owner I
'm way off the charts :)

</span></pre>

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be in Sturgis might stop by the display for some pics

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1522 said:
A Famous person once said:
'QUALITY over speed. Doing a crappy job fast is worthless, so take pride in your work as so few do these days.If you want to lose respect, then act like your work doesn't matter. '
I read that somehwere? Oh yeah, your signature line!

I do not believe it is Indian's goal to drive HD out of business in their first year. This summer is a celebration dedicated to the release of the new engine and the introduction of their first rolling stock with which to whet the appetites of the bike community. I think this winter and next Spring will be the time they flesh their marketing plan out.
Happy hunting!
I Can't wait to see the new painted war ponies.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think they are going to hit it out of the park! Can't wait to see the Chief!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
11074 said:
A Famous person once said:
'QUALITY over speed. Doing a crappy job fast is worthless, so take pride in your work as so few do these days.If you want to lose respect, then act like your work doesn't matter. '
I read that somehwere? Oh yeah, your signature line!

I do not believe it is Indian's goal to drive HD out of business in their first year. This summer is a celebration dedicated to the release of the new engine and the introduction of their first rolling stock with which to whet the appetites of the bike community. I think this winter and next Spring will be the time they flesh their marketing plan out.
Happy hunting!

I Can't wait to see the new painted war ponies.
<a class='rg_l' style='width: 283px; height: 168px; left: 0px;' href='http://www.google.com/imgres?client=firefox-a&hs=oVE&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1366&bih=596&tbm=isch&tbnid=w_99Xhx74iFB-M:&imgrefurl=http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/367371/20120727/sheldon-cooper-big-bang-theory-meme-bazinga.htm&docid=ZbklGiLPoVrCNM&imgurl=http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/07/27/290978-sheldon-cooper-in-the-big-bang-theory.jpg&w=744&h=415&ei=zabIUYeVGoXe8ATMzoGoBQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:44,s:0,i:223&iact=rc&page=3&tbnh=168&tbnw=283&start=44&ndsp=23&tx=97&ty=51'>
</a>
Damn!...Touche
Actually, I don't think spending 2+ years to come up with more than one motor and one bike would be biting off too much.....especially if I was an Indian dealer that just plopped down some serious cash, hoping to stay in business.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1522 said:
<a class='rg_l' style='width: 283px; height: 168px; left: 0px;' href='http://www.google.com/imgres?client=firefox-a&hs=oVE&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1366&bih=596&tbm=isch&tbnid=w_99Xhx74iFB-M:&imgrefurl=http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/367371/20120727/sheldon-cooper-big-bang-theory-meme-bazinga.htm&docid=ZbklGiLPoVrCNM&imgurl=http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/07/27/290978-sheldon-cooper-in-the-big-bang-theory.jpg&w=744&h=415&ei=zabIUYeVGoXe8ATMzoGoBQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:44,s:0,i:223&iact=rc&page=3&tbnh=168&tbnw=283&start=44&ndsp=23&tx=97&ty=51'>
</a>
Damn!...Touche
Actually, I don't think spending 2+ years to come up with more than one motor and one bike would be biting off too much.....especially if I was an Indian dealer that just plopped down some serious cash, hoping to stay in business.
Not being a smartass here, I really dont remember... Didnt the Indian dealers before Polaris basically have 1 bike to sell and the rest were parts bin bikes? I remember when I went looking the bags, seats, windshield (and 1 fairing bike) and paint were the only real differences... So does Polaris need more then 1? Paint it Blue you have the Indian Chief, paint it black you have the Indian Darkhorse...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Surely Wish them well and hope they do hit a home run, but for me the proof will be in the Design and Engineering .. One thing is for sure, if it is not more powerful than my XC with a better sleek look and paint .. Am quite happy with what I presently own ..

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I highly doubt we'll see anything besides a Chief in August. Maybe a couple different trim levels but I bet that's all. Look for Scout in MY2015 and maybe a third platform for MY2016.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
845 said:
Not being a smartass here, I really dont remember... Didnt the Indian dealers before Polaris basically have 1 bike to sell and the rest were parts bin bikes? I remember when I went looking the bags, seats, windshield (and 1 fairing bike) and paint were the only real differences... So does Polaris need more then 1? Paint it Blue you have the Indian Chief, paint it black you have the Indian Darkhorse...
If this is true, they better have invested a crapload of thought and resources into their accessories.
Polaris....accessories......

But, in all seriousness, if they did really do their job on this front, they ABSOLUTEY COULD get away with one platform with multiple paint schemes and combinations.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just the fact that there will be a real, viable, here to stay, Indian motorcycle available as an alternative to HD's 'heritage' buyers means Polaris has all bases covered going forward. The Victory brand is here for the higher tech buyers, and long distance riders as well as the young riders coming off of sport bikes while Indian can carry forward the history and tradition of conventional American motorcycle.
I love their position. Makes me proud to own a Vic!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1522 said:
If this is true, they better have invested a crapload of thought and resources into their accessories.
Polaris....accessories......

But, in all seriousness, if they did really do their job on this front, they ABSOLUTEY COULD get away with one platform with multiple paint schemes and combinations.
Funny, remember our little trip to the Indian dealer? Indian accessories were lower priced then our Victory ones...lol

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
845 said:
Funny, remember our little trip to the Indian dealer? Indian accessories were lower priced then our Victory ones...lol
Yeah, but as you and I both agreed.....that was BEFORE Polaris took over their accessory line. Those $150 backrests are gonna be a memory.
Give me a great, legitimate fairing and they may have the tiger by the tail.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does this give anyone else a little heartburn:

'. . . Most Significant Motorcycle Introduction in Decades'

Maybe I'm being overly literal here, but 'decades' - plural - would mean 20 years at a minimum. Since Victory is only 15 years old, does that mean Polaris just kicked the 'New American Motorcycle' in the slats and kind of hocked a big ol' loogie into the wind?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
4010 said:
Does this give anyone else a little heartburn:

'. . . Most Significant Motorcycle Introduction in Decades'

Maybe I'm being overly literal here, but 'decades' - plural - would mean 20 years at a minimum.  Since Victory is only 15 years old, does that mean Polaris just kicked the 'New American Motorcycle' in the slats and kind of hocked a big ol' loogie into the wind? 
Well they are reviving the 'FIRST' American motorcycle. And from a marketing perspective that is something to capitalize on. Polaris has a lot riding on this and they have to get it right. With all they have invested in reviving Indian, if it flops I'll bet it would hurt they corp. bad. I for one won't let a marketing campaign hurt my feelings and have seen no 'evidence' that they are going to abandon Victory.

Like I said in another thread, there are some major changes going on at Vic corporate and all 3 operations will be run separately. This is according to the sales manager at the local Vic dealer. He feels like things are going in the right direction again.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts