Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ya know, ya got me thinking which is NOT a good thing!! lol lol The only thing I haven't checked [shame on me] which I just thought of, is the available voltage passing thru that heavy battery plus cable to the starter.Tomorrow,if I can remember,duh!! lol, I'm gonna check that.Why?? Cause it's also possible that the cable running from the battery plus to the starter is too small.In other words,when it gets cold,the gauge of that wire can not carry enough amps to the starter to crank it over fast enough.Follow me??If you have a volt meter,hook it up to measure what you have.I'll try to remember to check mine in the morning cause tomorrow is supposed to be a decent day.Dave!!!
Dave you could be onto something there. Is that cable accessible in any way "IF" that looks like something to try and change ? Does anyone know if this bike bas a starter rely of any kind that could be a power draw ?

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
If the wire gauge is too small [which happens more then ya might think and generally done to save money cause some engineer said it would work] ,that in itself could be the problem,especially during cold weather starts,not to mention,a number of guys appear to be having the same problem.I have run into to this a number of times over the years ,especially when working on equipment.But I have to measure the available voltage goin thru that wire on starter engagement to confirm or deny it which I'm gonna do tomorrow,that is,as long s something else doesn't come up!! Duh!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
A cold cable conducts better than a hot cable. See if you can get a battery from a shop that puts the acid in at the time of the purchase. Lots of batteries sit around loaded and charged for years now.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
The battery I'm using is not the battery that came in the machine from the factory.I changed it to another brand which i can't think of right now {DUH} three years ago,right after i had the first cold cranking problem in the cold weather.I believe it's a Renegade 500 Amp Gel battery,atleast I think that's what I read on the label.DUH!!! It's tough to get old,ya know!! :unsure::rolleyes:

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
If the wire gauge is too small [which happens more then ya might think and generally done to save money cause some engineer said it would work] ,that in itself could be the problem,especially during cold weather starts,not to mention,a number of guys appear to be having the same problem.I have run into to this a number of times over the years ,especially when working on equipment.But I have to measure the available voltage goin thru that wire on starter engagement to confirm or deny it which I'm gonna do tomorrow,that is,as long s something else doesn't come up!! Duh!!!

This morning,when the bike was cold from setting over night and the ambient air temp in my shop was 40*F,I measured the voltage drop at the starter terminal [using my Fluke meter] when hitting the starter button , and my reading was 10.3 volts.[what you're looking for is a 1.5 - 2 volt drop from the battery voltage which should be 12.6 volts or so]. However,she still hesitated and did not spin right over like when the motor is hot or like on a summers' day.So I will give it another test tomorrow morning when it's alittle warmer to see if that voltage reading changes any.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
This morning,when the bike was cold from setting over night and the ambient air temp in my shop was 40*F,I measured the voltage drop at the starter terminal [using my Fluke meter] when hitting the starter button , and my reading was 10.3 volts.[what you're looking for is a 1.5 - 2 volt drop from the battery voltage which should be 12.6 volts or so]. However,she still hesitated and did not spin right over like when the motor is hot or like on a summers' day.So I will give it another test tomorrow morning when it's alittle warmer to see if that voltage reading changes any.
Hello Dave,
Thank you, for checking this, I do not have a good meter to measure this type of thing. I do think this is going to end up pointing at the starter and the type of battery I'm using.
I found this service advisory on another thread and had a copy of it before but even if I could get some support from one of the lam ass dealerships by me this looks like Polaris wouldn't stand behind the issue because its at the 5 year cut they put on the service advisory.
You would think not matter what they could stand behind the bike for 5K mile.

A couple of year ago I took this same service advisory to
Zeigler Motorsports (awful dealership & service department)
in Kalamazoo Mi and they told me to go pack sand. Even though my bike only had about 1400 miles on it at the time they said they wouldn't help because of the orange( salvage) title. So basically because my bike cost to much for a shop to paint it because someone dropped it they just washed they hands of any warranty or service on the bike but they salivated over having me drop it off at full rates.

Attachments

·
Rider
527 Posts
Indian has a known problem with starters especially on the scout. My roadmaster was having trouble starting that acted exactly like a bad battery. I replaced the battery and no real improvement. I finally came to the conclusion that the starter was the problem, had it replaced, the bike starts better than when it was new. I really think you need to replace the starter! The dealer should go to bat for you to get this done as it is a known problem!!

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Indian has a known problem with starters especially on the scout. My roadmaster was having trouble starting that acted exactly like a bad battery. I replaced the battery and no real improvement. I finally came to the conclusion that the starter was the problem, had it replaced, the bike starts better than when it was new. I really think you need to replace the starter! The dealer should go to bat for you to get this done as it is a known problem!!

When I first bought my 2018 SDH,I too had starter problems but disassembled it,then cleaned the brushes and commentator and it has been working OK ever since.Dave!!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hello Dave,
Thank you, for checking this, I do not have a good meter to measure this type of thing. I do think this is going to end up pointing at the starter and the type of battery I'm using.
I found this service advisory on another thread and had a copy of it before but even if I could get some support from one of the lam ass dealerships by me this looks like Polaris wouldn't stand behind the issue because its at the 5 year cut they put on the service advisory.

in Kalamazoo Mi and they told me to go pack sand. Even though my bike only had about 1400 miles on it at the time they said they wouldn't help because of the orange( salvage) title. So basically because my bike cost to much for a shop to paint it because someone dropped it they just washed they hands of any warranty or service on the bike but they salivated over having me drop it off at full rates.

View attachment 630265
It’s a 2016, you’re long out of a 2 year warranty even with a clean title. Or am I missing something here?

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Unfortunately,once a motor vehicle has a "SALVAGE TITLE" on it,all bets are off whether it be ten minutes or ten years old,hence ya wanna beware of those bargains.Granted,any vehicle that has been totaled can be salvaged and put back into service,but at what cost ,and the dealerships ,and especially the insurance companies,will NOT pay for it.And even though some vehicles can be restored,it's still all about money. If you can do it yourself, that's OK,but if you try to insure it with fire ,theft,or collision,or get it serviced under some existing warantee claim, that ain't gonna happen unless YOU pay for it.

I have actually pulled totaled vehicles out of the junk yard,repaired em to like new and put em back into service for myself,but never insured them because there isn't an insurance company in the world that would do that because the vehicle that has been written off and the claim settled.And then,dealerships will not honor warantee claims either for those same reasons.However,they may or maynot fix it for you as long as you're gonna pay em to do it.Follow me??? Dave!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
IJW I agree the dealerships should go to bat for be but I haven't found one yet that will.
I am real hesitant to put another factory starter in at over double the cost of an aftermarket when it seems that Polaris knew about this issue when I see people on this forum with 2018 that still don't start right.
I'm not in a hurry to buy an old start that has been sitting on a shelf that has the same issues as the one I have and then not being able to return it.
I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy an after market one and put it in myself. The problem now is I don't have time and another summer of riding goes by with the bike sitting or I just don't shut it off until I get home and only go for 20 minute rides :mad:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
When I first bought my 2018 SDH,I too had starter problems but disassembled it,then cleaned the brushes and commentator and it has been working OK ever since.Dave!!!
That should be the new add for Indian , Buy a brand new bike and take it home and work on it before it runs right for you !

·
Registered
104 Posts
It’s a 2016, you’re long out of a 2 year warranty even with a clean title. Or am I missing something here?
* Note from Hink: complaint received re the “combative” tone of this post. I cleaned it up. No need to throw punches here.

————————————————————————————
You are correct, but from a customer / consumer stand point find out this issue around the 1year 10 month into What would have been the warranty on a clean title bike with 900 miles on it I received absolutely NO support front any dealership on my area, NONE.

A company has no obligation to you after the product leaves there hands and falls out of parameters that some lawyer and account laid out as a "Warranty" is why I am in the position I am in.

What is your expectation of a company that sells motor vehicles that cost thousands of dollars ? So Indian gives a 2 year warranty, big deal this is not a risk to them I know people that don't ride more than 1K mile in two years.

But you don't see them put a mileage limit on a warranty, if Indian was worth a shit it would put a 10 to15 drivetrain warranty and stand behind the product no matter what ! Not a time limit. If you build something and you believe that your better than others in the market prove it and stand behind it. its that simple.

Anyone can build shit , sell it and tell the customer they are on there own, that's easy. This is what we have come to expect from American made.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
IJW I agree the dealerships should go to bat for be but I haven't found one yet that will.
I am real hesitant to put another factory starter in at over double the cost of an aftermarket when it seems that Polaris knew about this issue when I see people on this forum with 2018 that still don't start right.
I'm not in a hurry to buy an old start that has been sitting on a shelf that has the same issues as the one I have and then not being able to return it.
I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy an after market one and put it in myself. The problem now is I don't have time and another summer of riding goes by with the bike sitting or I just don't shut it off until I get home and only go for 20 minute rides :mad:
First.....
If you can get a moment to talk with a person at the Indian dealer, all they have to do is put in a request for Indian to replace the starter. The write a little reason and sometimes include a photo. Fairly easy and takes only a few minutes.
Indian has a group of people who review these "requests" and give them a "yes" or "no".

If you get a "no", you CAN have the same request submitted and usually a different person gets the request and may be in a totally different mood.

I went through this with my Chieftain and it was the second and third try that got my fenders replaced -- labor and all-- on a 2015 bike loooong out of warranty.

Indian IS trying to do good by us.

Second.....
The Scout starts nicely if you roll down hill and drop it into 2nd.
If you're desperate for a ride, park facing downhill :)

Sorry for your troubles. As long as you have a good battery and excellent connections at the battery AND starter, you have the best chance of a good start.

A hot engine is harder to start at times as well as a cold engine. I have had some close calls with being stuck. I can "jump" my bike with the trickle charge cable hooked to another bike, if necessary.

Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I gotta take Indians side on this. If you want to save the money and buy used/ salvage title then your rolling the dice. I have and will again. If you don't want to gamble then buy a new one with a warranty. Seems like you want all the good with none of the downside.
Hope you can get her going.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
First.....
If you can get a moment to talk with a person at the Indian dealer, all they have to do is put in a request for Indian to replace the starter. The write a little reason and sometimes include a photo. Fairly easy and takes only a few minutes.
Indian has a group of people who review these "requests" and give them a "yes" or "no".

If you get a "no", you CAN have the same request submitted and usually a different person gets the request and may be in a totally different mood.

I went through this with my Chieftain and it was the second and third try that got my fenders replaced -- labor and all-- on a 2015 bike loooong out of warranty.

Indian IS trying to do good by us.

Second.....
The Scout starts nicely if you roll down hill and drop it into 2nd.
If you're desperate for a ride, park facing downhill :)

Sorry for your troubles. As long as you have a good battery and excellent connections at the battery AND starter, you have the best chance of a good start.

A hot engine is harder to start at times as well as a cold engine. I have had some close calls with being stuck. I can "jump" my bike with the trickle charge cable hooked to another bike, if necessary.

Good luck my friend.
Thank you for your kind words, you can probably tell I am about as frustrated as I can get on this and it doesn't help that I am getting no help or direction from any dealer I have talked to NONE and on top of that two of them have been nasty to me like I'm some sub standard POS because I didn't buy a brand new bike ( And that alone has just pissed me off ). But yet they want be to buy chrome and shirts and saddled bag from them but don't dare ask the for a favor and help to give you direction. I have no idea who to contact at Indian or where to contact them, any help is great appreciated. I would have hoped they monitor threads like these and reach out but that would be wishful thinking and am not holding my breath.

I totally understand the situation and the rules about this type of thing but that doesn't mean that I am not deserving of some help and customer service.
I have never been delusional about this and knew I was going to take it in the ass to get it fixed but that doesn't mean that the person dong it shouldn't offer lube to make be feel better about it. that's all I'm saying. Not to mention all the other owner that have clean titles that have gone through this with dealer hundreds of miles away from them so it not like you have a lot of choices.

Pretty bad when you have to hard wire a connection for a jumper box to leave the house.
I tried to teach my wife how to hook up the trailer so I could call her when I got stuck and her reply was "sell the dam bike if its that much of a problem for you".

·
Registered
104 Posts
I gotta take Indians side on this. If you want to save the money and buy used/ salvage title then your rolling the dice. I have and will again. If you don't want to gamble then buy a new one with a warranty. Seems like you want all the good with none of the downside.
Hope you can get her going.
And opinion are like earholes , what about the people that have clean titles that have been lied to to kick the can down the road. there are plenty of those stories too. They knew this in 2015 and yet finally posted a bulletin in 2017
Oh I stand behind Indian on this one.

What about this person in this post. Is this the way you want yo be treated when they know it is a known problem and you still take the side of Indian ?

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Hello Dave,

View attachment 630265
OK!! This morning,I checked my voltage drop again while cranking the starter and the reading I got this morning was a couple tenths less of the 10 volt drop I got yesterday which was a minute difference!! However,today,there was no hesitation what so ever and she cranked right over and fired right up just like it was a warm summers' day.DUH!!! Yesterday,she kinda hesitated but she did start.So I guess what I'm saying is,I don't think the starter,or the cable is our problem.I'll have to think about this over the next few days to see if anything pops into my thick head!!! This is not the first time i've run into a problem like this and I'm sure it won't be the last,but I can usually figure em out. So all we can do right now is keep trying.Now whether I figure it out or some one else does,we're bound to find the problem.

However,what I might suggest is putting a trickle charger on your battery over night,then disconnect it before ya start it in the AM,to see if that makes any difference when starting it. It could be you have a larger parasitc draw then the next guy.All the new vehicles have this,but it doesn't usually affect anything unless it's a big parasitic draw.Anyways,I'll keep trying!! Sorry I couldn't be or more help to ya!! :cry:Dave!!!

41 - 60 of 78 Posts