Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this seem like a very stupid question but I have a 2016 scout and it start like crap. I'm alway killing my battery or what seems to be flooding it out , not to mention I don't dare shut it off anywhere for fear of not getting it stated to get home and yes I have been stranded and keep a jumper box in my saddle bags.

I have had a handful of older bikes, mostly Japanese ( Honda / Yamaha / Suzuki ) that all had there quirks but they would at least fire up when they where warm.
This Scout doesn't like to start cold , doesn't like to start hot and just doesn't like to start WTF !
Do you give it a few pumps ?
No Pumps?
Hold open ?
What am I doing wrong, the closest dealership is 1 1/2 hours away in one direction and they suck.and 3 hours in the other direction.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Seriously

·
Registered
46 Posts
So the option you didn't list is no pumps no throttle. That is my way with any modern fuel injected bike, just hit the starter. Any input from the throttle is probably not helpful. Has it always been a hard starter or is this new?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the option you didn't list is no pumps no throttle. That is my way with any modern fuel injected bike, just hit the starter. Any input from the throttle is probably not helpful. Has it always been a hard starter or is this new?
Thank you NWI , I just realized I didn't list that one but I have tried it and it does eventually starts that way it does take a lot of cranks and " starter time outs "
I have even just turned the key on and off a couple of times before I cranked it to prime the FI without throttle and it doesn't help either.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scouts of that vintage had a starter issue - it could go bad over time. Indian extended the warranty coverage period to replace them with new version. Is it the original starter?
I considered that but it cranks, especially when I have jumper box it. It just seem like there is a trick to it that I am not getting.
Possible my next thing to focus on is a way to feather the throttle in some way when I crank it and not actually give it a pump.
I way just trying to see how other start there bike and it they see any similar issues. I really hate to take it in the shop to have them stick me for something I am not used to doing.

·
Silver member
3,603 Posts
I considered that but it cranks, especially when I have jumper box it. It just seem like there is a trick to it that I am not getting.
Possible my next thing to focus on is a way to feather the throttle in some way when I crank it and not actually give it a pump.
I way just trying to see how other start there bike and it they see any similar issues. I really hate to take it in the shop to have them stick me for something I am not used to doing.
There is no trick to it for a properly functioning Scout - just power up and press the start button. No need to hold the button or anything like that. Perhaps you have a weak battery. If you have not replaced the starter, odds are high that is the problem - older models could deteriorate over time, making it harder and harder to start.

·
German Rider
1,678 Posts
I would bet on that starter problem on this modelyear. Second would be battery.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah bingo!
Change the spark plugs as was suggested
I would be willing to bet its your culprit
You guys are right , that is a good cheap idea I didn't really think of. They could just be out of gap or something, The bike only has under 2K miles on it.

I'll follow up and let you guys know how it pans out.
Cheers
Seriously

·
Rider
1,001 Posts
I press the start button :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: TerryJ

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had starter issues with my 2017. Indian dealer replaced starter and battery. Problem solved. Indian had a soft "recall" on the starters. Mine appeared to draw too much power, and didn't have enough juice to start the bike. I have complete confidence it will start now. Hope you get it solved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I prime my fuel lines- key, kill switch 2-4 times (let it cycle through the hum), and press the starter. Especially if it has been sitting or is cold, it needs fuel in the line.

if it is not starting right away after you have been riding a bit, I would bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. Unless you are a mechanic, I think your problem is bigger than priming a fuel line.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
263 Posts
Have wife push - dump clutch in third - have her keep pushing until bike fires - park on uphill grade if she is trying to lose weight!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know this seem like a very stupid question but I have a 2016 scout and it start like crap. I'm alway killing my battery or what seems to be flooding it out , not to mention I don't dare shut it off anywhere for fear of not getting it stated to get home and yes I have been stranded and keep a jumper box in my saddle bags.

I have had a handful of older bikes, mostly Japanese ( Honda / Yamaha / Suzuki ) that all had there quirks but they would at least fire up when they where warm.
This Scout doesn't like to start cold , doesn't like to start hot and just doesn't like to start WTF !
Do you give it a few pumps ?
No Pumps?
Hold open ?
What am I doing wrong, the closest dealership is 1 1/2 hours away in one direction and they suck.and 3 hours in the other direction.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Seriously
Another thing to consider is the Scouts when they are lower on fuel don’t like to grab fuel necessary to fire. If you flip the kill switch off then on you can tell the difference in a dry pump and when it catches fluid.

With only 2000 miles, I’m betting weak battery not spark plugs or starter.

·
Registered
533 Posts
NEVER open or crack the throttle when starting anything thats fuel injected. Also, its possible for a battery to have enough juice to crank an engine over, but not enough to properly power up the ignition system.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts