Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stripped the screw pictured below. It’s an Allan type bolt. I had the right size Allan key however the bolt was so tight that when I turned it I completely stripped it.

I was trying to remove to screw to install the rokform perch mount. But now I don’t know how to get the screw out. Any suggestions would be amazing!
Thanks,
Kal

·
Founding Member
1,922 Posts
Take the other screw out, then assuming that one is out and not stripped, remove the handlebar grip and the left control pod. There should be enough slop in the clamp at that point to work the clutch perch off the end of the bar after disconnecting the clutch cable.
With no tension on the screw, you can probably use an ez-out to extract it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Try hammering the next size up allen key into it, the bolt is destroyed so you have nothing to lose. It that fails cut a slot in it with a Dremmel type rotary tool and use a screwdriver or impact driver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clear out any debris that might be in the bottom of the socket head, lightly tap an allen socket into the head to be sure it seats fully, and try to use a smallish impact driver to back out the fastener. Next you might try the same with a slightly larger Torx. Failing that its time for a drill and an easyout.

Lots of videos on YouTube

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
As above, but I have had better success using a Torx bit than an allen head bit to get rounded out allen head bolts to loosen.

Reactions: Wyobob44

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have stripped the screw pictured below. It’s an Allan type bolt. I had the right size Allan key however the bolt was so tight that when I turned it I completely stripped it.

I was trying to remove to screw to install the rokform perch mount. But now I don’t know how to get the screw out. Any suggestions would be amazing!
Thanks,
Kal
View attachment 587167
Kal, those are Torx bit screws not allen head. If all else fails you can drill off the head off to expose the stud after the two halves are split and use vise grips to remove it. Good luck!

·
Bronze Member
1,656 Posts
Just a hint: If you end up drilling them out as a last resort, buy a set of left-hand twist drill bits and use a reversible drill. First relieve the pressure on the perch mount by removing the other perch bolt, then start with a small bit and work up one size at a time.The friction from the drill bit will help break the thread locking compound loose along with any corrosion. At that point, when the left-hand drill bit catches securely on the bolt and the drill will spin the bolt out.

I picked up a set of left-hand drill bits off ebay for around $20 a number of years ago (IIRC they are 1/16" - 3/8") that have more than paid off for themselves.

·
Rider
1,568 Posts
Throw a towel over the tank use some PB blaster penetrating oil and let it sit over night. Next take a size larger torx that has a socket attached hammer it in and take a socket wrench to it. If that don't work get an easy out \ reverse drill bit and tap it with the drill. Then grab a good sized adjustable wrench and give it a turn. Ive had to do this with old gas pump parts usually I heat the parts up before but I wouldn't use heat on this application. And do not use WD40 its not a penetrating oil.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you believe the bolt has locktite on it take a solder iron and hold it on the bolt till it gets fairly warm (could take 10 minutes or so) that should soften the locktite up and help you to remove the bolt as recommended in the above posts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I will let everyone know what method worked for me. Just ordered a set of easy outs and some penetrating oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update. Managed to remove the screw with some penetrating oil and an easy out. Now I have my cell phone mount installed.
Once again thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
To avoid incidents like this one,and because most of the components used on two wheelers are aluminum and the fasteners [nuts,screws, bolts] used to hold these components together are steel, when you remove any of these nuts botls,or screws,"ALWAYS" lightly apply alittle Neverseize on to the threads before ya put em back in.Why?? Cause the next guy that takes it apart just might be you.And if ya should encounter a situation like the one above,try alitttle heat,but not from an open flame. I'm talkin using a good quality heat gun [I just happen have one in my little bag of tricks] as that works pretty good on aluminum.And then,sparingly apply a little never seize on to the threads of that fastener BEFORE ya put it back in,and follow the torque spec for that component,if there is one.If not,use common sense and don't get carried away when torquing that fastener.So like I said,we're dealing with aluminum here,and aluminum has a BAD HABIT of forming corrosion on fasteners,whether it be,bolts,screws,or nuts.WHY?? Because aluminum and steel are two dissimilar metals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts