Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a generic slip-on. As this is my first bike, I'm absolutely terrified that I am going to burn an exhaust valve, or that I have some sort of pre-ignition. The bike seems to run fine, and I can only force it to pop by running the bike high and cutting the throttle so that the engine is braking. But I've read this is normal.

Because this is a generic slip-on I don't have any hardware to mount the slip-on to the frame other than it bolting to the main pipe. It fits pretty sturdy, but is this a problem?

I've been looking at buying the @Xchoppers EJK + slip on combo. Do I need their muffler so that I have a proper mounting bracket, and to what possible warranty issues will I run in to if something breaks.

IE: If something goes wrong mechanically, how quickly will they point to the EJK?

I'm no mechanic, but I sure do wish I had more concrete information to put my mind at rest. The last thing I want to do is damage my bike. Wondering if the EJK is a permanent alternative solution to spending a ton for a tune.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,948 Posts
The ejk shouldn't have any effect on warranty. The popping you get is most likely from lack of back pressure with your aftermarket pipes. You could find some baffles to increase that back pressure a bit and reduce the popping. (HardKrome makes some nice ones).

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,948 Posts
I've got gman fuel commander similar to the ejk setup. Been running it for a year and a half with a kn intake and stage 1 pipes. No issues at all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't get much popping at all. Only if I really try to. Debating just putting stock back on so I can quit worrying about it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I installed the EJK fuel tuner and Arlen Ness Torque Box. Left the stock exhaust on the bike. However I drilled out the 2 rear quarter sized baffles for a better sound. The EJK and Torque Box kit came pre-programmed with Stage 1 flash. Perfect combo. No worry about running lean. No popping. Check into it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I actually just got a $100 amazon gift card so I went ahead and got one coming. I'll give that a shot first. Can the EJK cause any harm?

·
Diamond member
9,068 Posts
Yeah, I actually just got a $100 amazon gift card so I went ahead and got one coming. I'll give that a shot first. Can the EJK cause any harm?
Don't sweat.. I'm running V&H with no tune.. pipes did not blue any more than when stock..
Especially today with fuel injection, having to tune for simply a set of slip ons has mostly gone the way of the 8track.. yes, it's better, yes, its ideal.. no, you will not burn anything up.. I'd say at this point, your biggest worry, would be to find away to support the muffs.. while they are sturdy, I do believe this will cause undue wear on the header gaskets, and the pipe flanges where muffs meet pipe.
That said, get your self a tuner, (though I'd go for the PCVX rather than the piggy back style such as the EJK.. these IMHO, are a good benefit to even a stock bike..
Bottom line, is if you didn't do anything to intake stream,, it simply cannot take in any more air to have messed with fuel AF ratios..
Than in stock form..
In short... if you have an Opening that allows 5 in,, and and exit that allows 5 out,, changing the exit to 10,, will still only have 5 coming out, because the opening still only allows five in....

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
I am running a generic slip-on. As this is my first bike, I'm absolutely terrified that I am going to burn an exhaust valve, or that I have some sort of pre-ignition. The bike seems to run fine, and I can only force it to pop by running the bike high and cutting the throttle so that the engine is braking. But I've read this is normal.

Because this is a generic slip-on I don't have any hardware to mount the slip-on to the frame other than it bolting to the main pipe. It fits pretty sturdy, but is this a problem?

I've been looking at buying the @Xchoppers EJK + slip on combo. Do I need their muffler so that I have a proper mounting bracket, and to what possible warranty issues will I run in to if something breaks.

IE: If something goes wrong mechanically, how quickly will they point to the EJK?

I'm no mechanic, but I sure do wish I had more concrete information to put my mind at rest. The last thing I want to do is damage my bike. Wondering if the EJK is a permanent alternative solution to spending a ton for a tune.
I have the EJK from @TuningHQ - been running it for 2 years with no probs. Really cooled the bike down at least 15 degrees F. Important because a cooler running engine will last longer. IMO of course...! I have the Bassani 2 into 1 Long megaphone exhaust system as well. and ditched the CAT's. If anything I might run a tad rich but I am pretty close to perfect and I love the performance. IMG_0848.JPG

·
Registered
31 Posts

I'm running RCX slip ons on my otherwise stock scout for over a year and a half. Bike runs great. No popping ever.

·
Rider
810 Posts
100_2109.JPG
I've been looking at buying the @Xchoppers EJK + slip on combo. Do I need their muffler so that I have a proper mounting bracket, and to what possible warranty issues will I run in to if something breaks
I bought the tapered slip-ons from X Choppers along with the Dobeck EJK and the Arlen Ness Torque Box air cleaner.
First ,they are super nice people and give you a lot for your money. Second , that combo on a 2015 Scout was a real home run , The bike was scary fast and the pipes were nicely made and a breeze to install. You cannot believe what that torque box air cleaner does for performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 313217
I bought the tapered slip-ons from X Choppers along with the Dobeck EJK and the Arlen Ness Torque Box air cleaner.
First ,they are super nice people and give you a lot for your money. Second , that combo on a 2015 Scout was a real home run , The bike was scary fast and the pipes were nicely made and a breeze to install. You cannot believe what that torque box air cleaner does for performance.
I have pretty much the same setup except different brand slip ons that are similar. I'm still not satisfied with how it's running. Not enough low end torque and power. Do you mind sharing what your settings are on the ejk? Thanks

·
Diamond member
9,068 Posts
I have pretty much the same setup except different brand slip ons that are similar. I'm still not satisfied with how it's running. Not enough low end torque and power. Do you mind sharing what your settings are on the ejk? Thanks
Has power declined since the mods?

·
Rider
810 Posts
I traded the bike for a 2017 for my wife. The settings were ones I got from dobek and it ran great. What is your air cleaner ?
Look in the search box for a thread called " Dobeck Settings " it's the 5th post

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I added the slip ons (Licks Cycles) last year with the stock air box and no fuel controller, I definitely noticed power loss in the low end. When I had the bike in the shop for starting issues (replaced the starter already) the mechanic said the plugs showed signs of an extremely lean condition so it was then I installed the Dobeck EJK and Arlen Ness Torque Box. I spoke with a Dobeck tech and he gave me the following settings to use:
Green 3.5 Yellow 6 Red 7
Green/blue 1 yellow/blue 5
Red/blue 5
It's with these settings that I'm still not getting a good power curve. When I get up over 3500rpm it does fly! Also get a growl from the new air cleaner when I nail it wide open at lower rpms, which I was told was normal but there seems to be a lack of power when I hear that. Any suggestions on setting would be appreciated.

·
Rider
810 Posts
I would venture a guess that you may be running too rich on acceleration. A too rich condition will cause your bike to bog on hard throttle and then pick up when you let off a little. Without seeing the installation it's like doing dental work over the phone. Do your pipes have any baffles , if so what diameter , that makes a difference .
I would start by backing the red down 1 number and test that. You can also clean your plugs , take the bike and run through a hard acceleration and recheck the plugs .If they are sooty you are rich if a little white too lean.

Don't worry about the induction noise , that's totally normal with that air cleaner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh ok. I guess that is the opposite of what I was thinking because it seems like so much more airflow is introduced so it seems that the fueling needs to be increased but if you're saying it's too rich then I'll drop it down and see. There is a metal tab deep inside the pipe that I believe is the baffle? There is a small gap on either side of it. I uploaded a pic below. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I spoke again with Dillon at Dobeck and he made more sense to me about the switching point settings. Even though they are based on rpm and load, he said to simplify it, just think in terms of rpms. So the lower you set the number of the switch point, the lower the rpm that zone will activate. So for the red zone fueling setting of 7, I decreased the red/blue setting from 5 to 4, meaning the full throttle setting will kick in at a lower rpm. I hope I'm making sense. Anyway I lowered the switch points for the red and yellow and it seems to be running better with more of an even power curve. My current settings are 3.5-6-7-1-4-4

·
Registered
152 Posts
Glad to hear everyone has been liking the EJK. and Torque Box. If you have added the Torque Box or aftermarket intake, you will definitely want to raise up the yellow and red adjustment modes. We have settings on the EJK for Scout product page. You also want to make sure the stock O2 sensors are bypassed with the included bypass plugs. If your stock O2 sensors are still connected, you will likely have poor performance/ surging at low RPMs as the stock O2 sensors make the bike run lean to meet emissions compliance.

As for spark plug readings, this may be a shocker to some...
Do not look at your spark plugs for an indication of your state of tune as this is not an accurate way to assess the tune. Spark plug readings were used back in the day when fuel was leaded. The lead in the fuel is what left the residue on the plug that we would read off of. Fuel is unleaded these days so the majority of the time, you will see white plugs. Unless you are using leaded fuel, throw the spark plug info out. Not to mention, refining processes have improved, and detergents and additives are added which make the fuel burn cleaner. Also, Google how to do a plug chop. This is the proper way to do a spark plug reading given you are using a leaded fuel.

@indigrip double check to make sure your stock O2 sensors have been bypassed. If they are still connected, that would explain your flat spot at low RPM. If they are bypassed, try raising the yellow mode and maybe the green mode by .5 to see if that helps.Give us a call with further questions.

I apologize if people have been waiting for TuningHQ to respond to questions. The best way to get assistance would be to contact Dobeck Performance directly.
email [email protected] or call 1.406.388.2377

STAGE 1 KITS- Dobeck Performance can combine just about any exhaust system with any intake and our EJK fuel controller and package these items together for you.
We get you a screamin package deal and include shipping within the lower 48. Shipping is additional if sending Int'l, AK, or HI.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts