Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are experiencing strange times. I have a good friend that lives about 200 miles from me and he too is a motorcyclist. We arranged today to meet halfway in the southern coastal resort of Brighton.

I work in a large hospital and thought this week things were unusually quiet. This Covid 19 really is having a profound effect which I witnessed today. Realisation how profound this may be started to dawn on me. Hardly anyone about with many shops, eateries and pubs closed and Brighton itself all but closed. Things I think are about to get a lot worse?

Nevertheless I still had a great day out, the farthest run since knee replacement last November. The point of this thread realistically was just to wish those that live on the opposite side of the pond best wishes in riding whatever may be coming out and hope you all remain healthy, fit and happy.

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 13 year old daughter is not happy! All schools are closed with effect from Friday. Nevertheless all those that work for the National Health Service and have children schooling arrangements will be set in place so you can continue to provide services at work. My partner and I both work for the NHS.

Have even nicknamed her Cinderella as 'she may get to go to the school' after all. Even grumpier than normal having to cope with the prospect of continuing going to school along with the hormonal riot currently going on!

Landlords are also prohibited from evicting tenants who fail to pay rent. There must be next to no possibility of catching it riding your motorcycle and ensconced inside your own full-face helmet surely? As Edgelett stated motorcycling for me too keeps my sanity in check and provides an element of normality except for the quieter roads.

Pub lunch in Brighton today there were only two other customers apart from my mate and I.

As a footnote for clarity when I stated in my OP 'opposite side of the pond' living on an island I meant everyone everywhere as water surrounds me. Edgelett obviously got my drift. Thanks.

·
Bronze member
1,949 Posts
I just heard from someone at an outdoor mall that a store and restaurant are expected to close their doors permanently.
I’m sure that’s going to be an unfortunate circumstance for a lot of places that were on the edge anyhow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I work in a college in Fife Scotland, we have just been advised all students and staff will be out of college for at least a month.
we will be teaching remotely by email, not to sure how this will impact on the students who need their qualifications to move on to other courses or university

·
Registered
190 Posts
Here in Colorado USA schools are closed until April 17, no dine in restaurants. Bars are closed. Businesses are work from home if possible. Just went to the grocery and shelves are cleaned out.
Not to make lite of the situation in any way, but the only bright spot in this dreadful time is I just got an email from High Plains Raceway that they are remaining open. “It’s open air, racers don’t tend to congregate in large groups on the track and it’s great stress relief “ were some of the reasons for remaining open.

·
Registered
13 Posts
[QUOTE="bhf, post: 3371480, member: 108584")
Not to make lite of the situation in any way, but the only bright spot in this dreadful time is I just got an email from High Plains Raceway that they are remaining open. “It’s open air, racers don’t tend to congregate in large groups on the track and it’s great stress relief “ were some of the reasons for remaining open.[/QUOTE]

I've been trying to convince my self to get the right gear and head up there. Is it pretty costly? And do you know if they rent gear up there?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
I do not believe they rent gear.
You need full leathers, above the ankle boots, leather gloves and a DOT approved helmet. The only thing you need to do to the bike is take the mirrors off. No safety wiring required. March 29 is the last day of “winter” prices. $120 for the whole day. Otherwise it’s $120 1/2 day and I don’t remember what for a full day. 1/2 day will get you approximately 4 10-15 lap sessions with breaks in between.
We have a group of 6-8 guys going on the 29th. Not sure I’m going to take the FTR this time. Might just take my supermoto bike. It can pick on the sport bikes while the FTR is a lot slower.

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Hink, haunting indeed (great analogy) I've a strange feeling that rides such as that may too get curtailed eventually if only 'essential travel' gets implemented? I'm going to make the most of it and have arranged another such trip to what is a bit of a bikers haven weekends this Saturday with another two mates, be interested to see how busy West Bay in Dorset will be? Will nail up a few photographs once done. Went to a regular supermarket today and the shelves were akin to those depicted on The Walking Dead, never have I experienced anything such as this in my 59 years.

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
According to media it's the over 60s that are at risk. Me I'm gonna be just fine apparently.

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A mate of mine got pulled by the same Traffic Cop twice for wearing an inappropriate crash helmet (which are obligatory over here) his was a German Tank Commander's helmet. Second time he got pulled I had to drive out to him with my spare helmet as the cop said he would arrest him next time he would be seen wearing the helmet.

Well the helmet has sat in my garage for the best part of two years and my mate never wanted it back. I kept threatening I would turn it into a plant pot or something. Just sent him an e-mail and picture stating he's not getting it back as I have found a use for it. "Just off to the supermarket to get some milk." I said. He did have a laugh.

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Mixed Experience

For those that may not be able to get out on their bikes I'll put a little effort into sharing today's experience. As stated would post up some pictures from today's ride-out to two weekend bike havens. The experience at each were poles apart. Will split this into two posts as it will be very picture heavy. Unlike some we are not yet at 'Stay at home' stage.

PART 1

First destination was a bespoke motorcycle dealership about 30 miles from home called Moto Corsa. They have a café that was closed and the dealership is normally packed to capacity with browsing customers at the weekend. Today despite being open me and my two mates John and Matt were the only browsers there. The staff outnumbered us by at least two to one. As a footnote this was the first longer haul trip for Matt my mate who has just picked up a 1996 Garage Queen Fatboy with only 12k miles on it. He came from a Triumph Speed Triple and had a few 'Call me an ambulance' moments on the twisty roads up there.

Outside Moto Corsa
moto corsa1.jpg

They do sell some exceptional bikes. The Brough Superior comes in at £60,000 this one is second hand and could be yours at a snip for £40,000. Whilst well engineered personally I think for the money they look like sh1t!

Hesketh

Honda VFR1200 V4

Reactions: BoySCOUT

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Part 2

From Moto Corsa we blasted on straighter roads another 50 miles south westward to a small coastal village called West Bay. Expecting everything to be shut and the place abandoned we were pleasantly surprised. All the little kiosks were open selling food and refreshments and there were quite a few bikes there and loads of people enjoying the Spring sunshine.

West Bay Kiosks

John's Bar Hopper, Matt's Garage Queen in the middle and my FTR.

Finally we decided to take the coastal route home which involves catching a chain ferry. We had just missed the ferry so I took the last photos of the day. 160 miles in a chilly, windy but clear day. It was refreshing to see that there are places that appear to be operating more or less as normal.....for the moment anyway.

Just missed it!

·
Rider
1,190 Posts
Part 2

From Moto Corsa we blasted on straighter roads another 50 miles south westward to a small coastal village called West Bay. Expecting everything to be shut and the place abandoned we were pleasantly surprised. All the little kiosks were open selling food and refreshments and there were quite a few bikes there and loads of people enjoying the Spring sunshine.

West Bay Kiosks

View attachment 580882

View attachment 580883

Finally we decided to take the coastal route home which involves catching a chain ferry. We had just missed the ferry so I took the last photos of the day. 160 miles in a chilly, windy but clear day. It was refreshing to see that there are places that appear to be operating more or less as normal.....for the moment anyway.

Just missed it!

View attachment 580891

View attachment 580894

View attachment 580896
Superb!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Part 2

West Bay Kiosks

View attachment 580882

View attachment 580883

Just missed it!

View attachment 580891

View attachment 580894

View attachment 580896
WOW A Hesketh! Not A Vampire, but I have always wanted one!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
not many places open when I was out for a ride yesterday.
We're not in lockdown yet, the cafe I stopped in was pretty empty though.
social distancing isn't an issue on a motorcycle :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
My son and I went to Los Angeles County Raceway today to ride some motocross! We live 15 minutes from Glen Helen but that great track is owned by the county of San Bernardino and of course, is closed. LACR is about an hour away and was worth it!

The temps were in the low 60°f, no wind, and some white puffy clouds. There was fresh snow visible in the local mountains, the track was prepped perfectly and couple friends showed up! Because of work and heavy rain I hadn't been to the track in three weeks so it felt great. We kept 6ft (2m) between us and didn't shake hands. I have always used hand sanitizer because I work in a lot of schools and have to use their touch screens to sign in. Now I have my son conditioned to use it.

After we got home I took "The Indian" out for an hour or so. Traffic light and temps in the middle 50s. It was wonderful. Being a network engineer I normally work nights by myself or with 1 other co-worker so nothing has really changed for me. My company got me classified as "Essential" since so many companies need to beef up the network and roll-out VPN so hopefully no financial hit. I feel really bad for the restaurant workers and others that have just been put out of work for no fault of their own. I have been RIF'd (Sacked) before and it sucks.

I agree with @K9F and @edgelett - motorcycles are the best stress relief.

My son and our 14 year old stray dog. She can barely walk but as soon as she hears the bikes being loaded up she heads for the truck. I got her when she was about 1 year old and she loves the track, lots of pets and the oppurtunity to steal a sandwich every once in a while.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts