Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came off of a 2006 Roadliner with Hydraulic Clutch and have been trying to decide weather the CLUNK I feel during shifting is just inherent with a cable clutch or...... Do I have an issue.

I've chalked it to this must be how these bikes feel. Not only do I feel it in the shifter, but I also feel it in the clutch handle.

I've been pretty mellow on the bike for the most part, but tonight I decided to try out SPORT mode and put the screws to this machine.
At about 80 in 4th gear shifting to 5th, then going for 6th I swear the bike went back into 4th. So much so that I actually had to shift back through 5th & 6th again.

Anyone else having any kind of issues with Clutch or Shifting?

Is it supposed have such a CLUNK feel and sound?

I've got 2900 miles on the BEAST! :cool:

Feedback is appreciated.

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
I came off of a 2006 Roadliner with Hydraulic Clutch and have been trying to decide weather the CLUNK I feel during shifting is just inherent with a cable clutch or...... Do I have an issue.

I've chalked it to this must be how these bikes feel. Not only do I feel it in the shifter, but I also feel it in the clutch handle.

I've been pretty mellow on the bike for the most part, but tonight I decided to try out SPORT mode and put the screws to this machine.
At about 80 in 4th gear shifting to 5th, then going for 6th I swear the bike went back into 4th. So much so that I actually had to shift back through 5th & 6th again.

Anyone else having any kind of issues with Clutch or Shifting?

Is it supposed have such a CLUNK feel and sound?

I've got 2900 miles on the BEAST! :cool:

Feedback is appreciated.

With cable clutches, they need to be adjusted properly. Most likely your symptoms sound like the clutch free play is too much. Usually the first 500-1500 miles the cable will stretch quite a bit.

The clunking is that you are not dis-engaging the clutch fully because there is too much free play in the cable. Your manual will show you how to do it. Very easy.

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
On another note. The free play in most of the Indian models is very little. I don't know what the challenger is, but most of the Indians the clutch free play is slightly thinner than a credit card.

·
Bronze member
1,507 Posts
I've had to adjust my clutch a couple times to get it right. From the factory, the clutch was catching way too late and made for odd/funky shift feel.....but once I adjusted to the specs above, the bike runs like a dream. Finding neutral is easy and no clunking. I like how the slipper clutch works.....so far. Deactivate your traction control and have some fun.....as that's where it starts!!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.0196-.059"
I'll have the dealer check it, as I don't have feeler gages to do it accurately myself.

When moving down the road it doesn't take much clutch pull to disengage & watch the RPM's rev.

Thanks guys!

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
.0196-.059"
I'll have the dealer check it, as I don't have feeler gages to do it accurately myself.

When moving down the road it doesn't take much clutch pull to disengage & watch the RPM's rev.

Thanks guys!

A credit card is about the right thickness if you want to do a quick check.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had to adjust my clutch a couple times to get it right. From the factory, the clutch was catching way too late and made for odd/funky shift feel.....but once I adjusted to the specs above, the bike runs like a dream. Finding neutral is easy and no clunking. I like how the slipper clutch works.....so far. Deactivate your traction control and have some fun.....as that's where it starts!!!!
Thanks HyeHog

1 - 11 of 11 Posts