Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are traveling from houston to yellowstone. Taking day trips into various places in colorado on our way. I am experiencing a squealing sound under a load. I have inspected the belt and I see no unusual wear or signs of an issue. I have 9500 miles on the bike I did the last oil change myself no signs of leaks and I put the entire 111 oil change kit in the bike at 5k. The oil only came to the low setting on the dip stick. I had concerns and asked my dealer. Everyone pretty much said put in the right amount and ride it. To me it sounds like the bike is low on oil. I looked for a pressure gauge in all the displays and could not find one. I am about 60 miles away from a dealership but am contemplating taking it there this week. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
2018 roadmaster stock

·
Bronze member
3,472 Posts
is your belt in line?... does it squeal only under load? or when coming into a stop also? I'd wash the undercarriage including the belt (after checking for alignment) real good and take it for a spin..

·
617 Posts
I too have a squeal, but only when taking off when the bike is cold. I’ve pretty much written it off as a belt alignment issue which I will address the next time I visit the dealer. Is there a reason why you think this is related to oil level and not the belt?

·
Bronze member
1,242 Posts
If the belt is running hard against the side flange of the pulley it can squeal pretty loud. You can diagnose it by lubing the sides of the belt with a (dry) slippery bar of soap. Just rub the soap along the sides of the belt enough to leave a light coating. It won't last long, but if the squeal temporarily goes away, you've found the problem and the fix is to realign the belt. Mind you, even after aligning the belt so it is in the center of the pulley, it probably will eventually track to either side again, but it shouldn't rub the pulley flange hard enough to make noise or wear the belt out.

·
Silver member
4,938 Posts
Strange Squealing.... Many years ago I dated this girl.... oh, never mind.... ;)

What theMucker said. I did what he suggests but I used an old candle/wax and the squeal ceased. So I adjusted the belt alignment and all was and is well, squeal hasn't returned, yet lol. That was about 4,000 miles ago. '15 Vintage.

·
Bronze member
1,245 Posts
rub a soap bar along the edge of the belt to see if that reduces the squeal, its cheap and will tell you pretty much if the squeal is the belt.

Reactions: theMucker and RedRM

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine did same thing. I rubbed some bee's wax on the belt in 2 spots & all has been well for 6,000 miles.

Reactions: theMucker

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Yup!! My money is also on the belt.So, #1: If it's too tight,which I suspect is one of your problems,it'll make noise.Why??Cause as it heats up, it can not move FREELY from side to side under accel and decel like it's supposed to,getting trapped on one side or the other,then rubbing against that side of the rear cog,hence squealing/chirping sounds..And #2: As mentioned above,it could also be out of alignment as it needs to be centered when it's cold and NOT over tightened.
[The SM tells ya to set the tension at 1 1/2 inches of up and down movement at the belts TIGHTEST point,COLD belt,and CENTERED between the two cogs]
Look at both sides of your belt.If one side is shiny black in color,and the other side is dull black in color,then your problem is definitely belt alignment and or it's too frigin tight.The SM gives ya the correct alignment procedure,but since most of the techs can't read, :rolleyes:,or are too lazy to do the job correctly,problems like this become all too common place.
These belts are NOT rubber,[which stretches as it heats up.]Tthey are,I believe,KEVLAR,or something similar to it,which gets tighter and tighter as it heats up,unlike rubber. Good luck with your endeavor! Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
2,282 Posts
My guess is with the belt as well. Mine did that once in a while, usually while cold or going uphill (near the house). Took the time to adjust the belt alignment as close as I could get and haven't heard a squeak since.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too have a squeal, but only when taking off when the bike is cold. I’ve pretty much written it off as a belt alignment issue which I will address the next time I visit the dealer. Is there a reason why you think this is related to oil level and not the belt?
Only because it doesnt sound like a belt rubbing and inspecting the belt didnt reveal any edge wear indication. And I still worry about the terrible dipstick issue. I rode another 300 miles in the mountains around colorado earlier and it is not anyworse. I planned to go by the nearest indian dealership. But it is 2 hours from where we are and they didnt sound overly excited to help me out. They said they would try but they are super busy right now.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the recommendations I will hunt up some bar soap and see if we can eliminate this problem. Funny though even though this is a new sounds and really pretty slight. My two riding buddies have harleys and man when I get up close to them... their transmissions sound really loud and like they are running dry and almost grinding. I will report back as soon as I get the soap.

Thanks again brothers.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Candle wax or bar soap will also work. I was using either or on my Triumph,also belt drive,and now on the Indian too.I did this on a monthly basis,and still do, and it works!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Had terrible squealing on my 16RM. Adjusted multiple times by the dealer and it still came back. At 25k I had enough and was really firm in wanting it resolved. They replaced the belt and the rear pulley assembly. Had to get with Polaris to ok that but it did fix it.

·
Bronze member
1,245 Posts
I would check the tension of the belt. If the belt is to tight it puts extra loads on the drive bearings in the tranny and the rear wheel. As such you will wear them out faster and start getting leaks.

Reactions: Davetac1

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well good news. Bought some dial soap last nite rubbed it on the belt after continually backing it up. After about backing it up for 8ft I finally got to the end of the belt. Drove the bike and all of the squeaks were gone. I checked the belt alignment. It showed teeth on both sides of the belt so it must be the tension. I am so grateful for everyone's suggestions. Thanks so much. Now I need to get a bike lift a tensioner gauge and the other misc. Tools to rectify the situation. (y)

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
There's a tension gauge already built on to the bike.It's black in color hence hard to see,but it's there and is what I've been using to set tension.It's a long piece of plastic or rubber like plastic with lines on it ,for measurement,and has a slot,or cut out in the middle of it, and is located mid ship of the machine right next to the belt.

·
Rider
1,158 Posts
I've gotten used to a bit of noise, and occasionally rub some soap. Tensions seems good and alignment is proper. I don't worry about it much.

--
Gordon

·
Registered
426 Posts
You're all wrong the squeal is from the Harley rider next to you

Reactions: Davetac1
1 - 19 of 19 Posts