Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, but can't any articles to explain my strange noise for which I cant find the reason. It mainly happens when I've got a pillion, but I can also get a hint of it happening even when solo.
When cornering hard left (not extreme - just firm to moderate) I get this grating/grinding noise from rear wheel area - which initially make one think that my saddlebags or similar has ground on the road - yet I'm nowhere near that far over (probably <35deg max). I can also just feel it through the seat/frame - however on several close inspections I cant find any sign of abrasion on anything (except for the usual scrap where the belt guard hits the fender on full bottom out - but I'm nowhere near bottoming out on these left turns). It almost sounds like a dodgy bearing, but in theory there is little lateral stress on wheel bearings while cornering - cos the bike is still balanced on cornering). Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.
Thanks in advance - Steve

·
Registered
88 Posts
I sometimes grind the side of the kickstand on left hand turns if there is a higher crown on the road. Can happen without the peg touching down. Check to see if you have any grind marks on the side of the stand.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
There have been some instances of the tire rubbing the wiring holders under the fender that eventually rubbed the wires in two.
Couldn't hurt to get a flash light and look under there?
You might check your left foot peg for rubbing!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Strange noise when cornering hard left...Thanks in advance - Steve

Ok, I'm not trying to embarrass anybody.....so just act like I'm just checking.....
You do have the kickstand up?

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,906 Posts
Rear rotor flex. It is rubbing the pads from the weight transfer..............Normal.
Could you confirm this by touching the rear or front brake carefully so as not to wash out?

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Is it a constant noise or intermittent when in the left hand turn?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Are all your pillion accessories parts fitted securely. Including the saddle bag connections. What does your pillion feel? Check your rear shocks are secure top and bottom. Is your belt tension good? Has the back wheel been taken off and replaced recently? Is the belt guard secure? Dare I say it, but how big are you and indeed your pillion?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all your many suggestions. I have indeed thoroughly checked everything including under the fender with torch etc. I'm almost convinced its the belt cover just touching the fender (I can see a small chip marking where it touches upon full bottom out). So it got me thinking - with our combined weights it probably is near bottomed out on hard cornering (g forces at play). I've removed some of the metal from stepped part in the belt cover which was just hitting the fender (and of course zinc coated the cut and retouched up the gloss black). Will report in due course (next week when we do our weekend ride together). Thanks all.

Reactions: Silverhorse

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll also try the brake pad diagnosis suggestion (light rear brake application whilst cornering). worth considering.

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
You were probably right with the bearing. Our IMRG group has discovered that the needle bearing in the rear end is the source of the noises most of us have been hearing. It's a seriously chintzy part (undersized) for a bike of this heft and not up to snuff for the TQ production of the 111.

There is actually a job number assigned to the replacement of the bearing and other related parts at our dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to bring up a dead post. But I'm hearing/ feeling something when I corner hard or lean over in a turn. I see the term "rotor flex". Is this a common issue??? I may lean over more then some as I'm use to a sports bike. Anyone else having this issue???? I think mine is more on the front.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Do you have the shock adjusted properly for weight?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I initially thought the bottoming out too. If you have it adjusted correctly my second thought; are you running the original tires? Are you leaning past the thick part of the original tire, that will cause vibration? High end tires have full tread to the sidewall reducing this possibility. Third, any rubbing inside the fender or anywhere else? Four, any vibration if you hit the back brake?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The front is the stock tire. I dont see any issues where its contacting the inner front fender. And I have yet to see if it stops making the noise/ grinding/ vibration , If I use the brakes in the turn. ( years of being told not to every do that :D )

·
Rider
420 Posts
The front is the stock tire. I dont see any issues where its contacting the inner front fender. And I have yet to see if it stops making the noise/ grinding/ vibration , If I use the brakes in the turn. ( years of being told not to every do that :D )
Check your tire pressure . If your low ,your tire may be in the beginning stages of scalloping "irregular wear from heat and pressure " causing an almost buzzing sound when cornering .

·
Registered
569 Posts
My Scout made some noise when slowing to stop with clutch pulled in. It was the belt rubbing on the left side of the rear sprocket flange. This was because I aligned the marks on the swingarm to match while adjusting drivebelt...you may want to check drivebelt position.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts