Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Silver member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has probably been asked ten thousand times on our forum, but I am much too lazy to go looking for it. Is there a way to jump-start our 111 using the attached trickle charger adapter that is already sticking out the side?
Asking for a friend 馃槃.
He is pretty ignorant about this crap, all he knows is where the gas goes and how to make the bike go vroom vroom.
Grazie.

Founding member
Thanks for asking, I鈥檓 interested in the answer. My guess is yes because I have a pigtail adapter that fits my connection and I believe it鈥檚 for that purpose.

Bronze member
No.

The trickle charger lead is not beefy enough to take the starter motor load and will either melt of blow the inline fuse. However, you can get a heavier adapter lead that will do it for you. Most of the small jumper packs have a standard socket and the leads are available to plug straight to it.

Having said that, some people attach their jump starter for a few minutes so it gives the battery a slight boost, disconnect, and then can start the bike. Jump starters say not to have them connected more than a few minutes.

This is the heavier lead setup.

Silver member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No.

The trickle charger lead is not beefy enough to take the starter motor load and will either melt of blow the inline fuse. However, you can get a heavier adapter lead that will do it for you. Most of the small jumper packs have a standard socket and the leads are available to plug straight to it.

Having said that, some people attach their jump starter for a few minutes so it gives the battery a slight boost, disconnect, and then can start the bike. Jump starters say not to have them connected more than a few minutes.

This is the heavier lead setup.
View attachment 593810
Thank Doc.
I have....ummm, my friend has, a TackLife T6, and could not figure out how to get it to jump start the bike. The TackLife does not appear to have a male connection that would fit this heavy duty cable that you have shown. Can you give anymore information on this? Please bill me your standard Doctor consultation rates. Thanks.

Founding member
Thank Doc.
I have....ummm, my friend has, a TackLife T6, and could not figure out how to get it to jump start the bike. The TackLife does not appear to have a male connection that would fit this heavy duty cable that you have shown. Can you give anymore information on this? Please bill me your standard Doctor consultation rates. Thanks.
Shifty is correct, the pigtail wiring for trickle charger (or heated gear) is not nearly large enough to handle the current for a jump-start ... the fuse in the pigtail would be blown before the bike gets enough amps to start.

You can use the TackLife to jump-start the bike, but you'll need to use the T6 gator-style clamps and connect directly to the battery posts. I've done this to my bike with other similar jump-starter boxes. Carefully lift the VCM (do not touch it to anything metallic - see the owners manual for info) out of the way to access the battery and place the clamps on the battery ... then start it up.

Silver member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One last stupid question. After reviewing the videos, it looks like it's extremely critical to make sure that the computer and the battery do not touch. Is there a reason that a rubber sheet could not be placed over the battery to ensure that doesn't happen? Any negatives to that?

Registered
Thank you all for your replies. I put it on my trickle charger after pushing it home, I mean my friend did, so I will check it in the morning to see if it starts and if it is going to hold a charge. Thanks again.
If completely dead it may take longer than that on a trickle charger. Does your friend own a multimeter?

Bronze member
The computer module is touchy about touching anything, and it's a great nuisance. Whenever I have to move mine to get to the battery I slip a cardboard box over it as soon as I get it off the cradle. I'm with you, and would like to see it insulated - so would a few members of the forum who have fried it.

Bronze member
Thank Doc.
Here is the Tacklife model.

The blue plug is what you need on the end of the heavy cables instead of the Anderson plug in my previous photo. It's a standard plug on yours and the same as on my Cygnett model. An electronics shop should have the plug and heavy duty lead to make one up.

The chunky connector gadget contains safety gear to make sure the clips are not reverse polarity. When you have the permanent leads that is not necessary.

Registered
The computer module is touchy about touching anything, and it's a great nuisance. Whenever I have to move mine to get to the battery I slip a cardboard box over it as soon as I get it off the cradle. I'm with you, and would like to see it insulated - so would a few members of the forum who have fried it.
I wrap mine in a towel and secure the towel with blue painter鈥檚 tape. Then I use a bungee cord to hold it away from where I鈥檓 working.

Silver member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is the Tacklife model.
View attachment 593970

The blue plug is what you need on the end of the heavy cables instead of the Anderson plug in my previous photo. It's a standard plug on yours and the same as on my Cygnett model. An electronics shop should have the plug and heavy duty lead to make one up.

The chunky connector gadget contains safety gear to make sure the clips are not reverse polarity. When you have the permanent leads that is not necessary.

View attachment 593971
Yes, that is the TackLife I own. So after installing heavy duty leads from the battery that stick out the side panel like the trickle charger currently does, I'll be able to jump the bike directly without removing the seat? If so, I will have the heavy duty leads installed. How do I protect the ends of the leads from touching and from weather....do they come with caps or something?
Again, forgive my ignorance. I am spending way too much time on this while trying to help my friend 馃檪

Rider
One last stupid question. After reviewing the videos, it looks like it's extremely critical to make sure that the computer and the battery do not touch. Is there a reason that a rubber sheet could not be placed over the battery to ensure that doesn't happen? Any negatives to that?
I would buy a cheap mouse pad and use that between the battery and VCM, they are generally made of rubber....just thinking out loud here for your 'friend'

Founding member
I have a unit that goes from cigarette lighter connector to cigarette lighter connector. Works great.
That will work to charge a battery (leaving it on for a length of time), but it won't work to start a vehicle. The wire size on a cigarette lighter isn't nearly large enough to handle the current needed to jump an engine.

Registered
You could also remove the current trickle charger plug and install in its place a dedicated plug (EC5) for the jump starter battery pack and use a converter plug assembly for the trickle charger as shown in the link below.

Tim

Reactions: Kost

Silver member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You could also remove the current trickle charger plug and install in its place a dedicated plug (EC5) for the jump starter battery pack and use a converter plug assembly for the trickle charger as shown in the link below.

Tim
Hi Tim,

That looks perfect. I noticed that it is rated for 100 amps and is a 10 gauge wire. Are those numbers sufficient to jump our motorcycles? Forgive my ignorance, and I really appreciate your input. Thank you. Steve

1 - 20 of 56 Posts