Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about replacing the stock windshield on my '17 RM
I ride the highways with mine all the way up to avoid wind blast and buffeting, all the way down locally to keep fresh cool air blowing on my face to help keep cool.

If I go with one of the aftermarket screens like Klockwerx or an LRS do I need a 14" to achieve the same results? Or will a 12" be enough....I like the look of a lowered windshield so if a 12" would be enough I'd prefer to go that way
I'm not tall...5'7"

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the 12" Klockwerx and it is perfect for me, I rode Toronto Ontario, to Santa Monica via route 66 last year and up or down, it was excellent. I am 5'8"

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm 6' and run a 12" so you'll be fine. Check out Freedom Shields. Great company and great product.

Phil

·
Registered
115 Posts
Definitely check out Freedom Shields fantastic product. I'm 6 ft & have the 12"" it's perfect. If you ride a lot with a passenger you'll need to go taller..

Reactions: BeauJames

·
Registered
350 Posts
Indian flare is nice, but can be a little low for some. The freedom shield is a great product.

I have 2 LRS re-curve and they are thinner and not of the same quality as what I've listed above

·
Rider
1,148 Posts
>>>>I have 2 LRS re-curve and they are thinner and not of the same quality as what I've listed above
I have the 14" LRS Tomahawk, and think it is great. I like to look over the shield when ridiing, (usually at 70 - 75 mph). The OEM wind got me right in the forehead, and shook my glasses.
The LRS, set at the same height, shots the wind over the top of my helmet, and no glasses shaking.

No vibration or no whistling (as some have stated with LRS)

Got it on sale for $76. Very happy with it.

--
Gordon

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
I will give another vote for the Freedoms. The curved lip on top allows you to have the windscreen lower that without the curved lip. Good quality windscreen, installed mine a few years back and never regretted it. Dean

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I also have a Freedom but I have the 16". At the time, I rode with the windshield up most of the time. Now I ride with it down 90% of the time. I'm 5'10" and can see over it when it's down. My buddy has a... I think 12" Klockwerkz and mine down is taller than his up (that's what she said).

The only time I have the windshield up is if I'm on the highway and have a passenger or getting really bad buffeting. Other than that, it's down.

·
Registered
279 Posts
2914896.jpg This a !4" Freedom light lint. We ride with it down most of the time event on the interstate at 80+mph. Does a fantastic job!

·
Registered
2019 Roadmaster
43 Posts
I have the 14" LRS Battle Axe on my 19 Roadmaster. I love it. Way better than the stock windshield. The air is punched over my head instead of into my forehead even with it lowered so I can look over the windshield.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thinking about replacing the stock windshield on my '17 RM
I ride the highways with mine all the way up to avoid wind blast and buffeting, all the way down locally to keep fresh cool air blowing on my face to help keep cool.

If I go with one of the aftermarket screens like Klockwerx or an LRS do I need a 14" to achieve the same results? Or will a 12" be enough....I like the look of a lowered windshield so if a 12" would be enough I'd prefer to go that way
I'm not tall...5'7"
12" will be enough for the LMS , Love mine on a Chieftain Limited, I got the "Curve" and have never been happier! I got the "Darkest" and kinda wish I had gone lighter, I'm used to it now though. I paid less than $80.00 awhile back and now they have doubled that, not sure why.

·
Rider
1,148 Posts
I have the 14" LRS Tomahawk, and think it is great. I like to look over the shield when ridiing, (usually at 70 - 75 mph). The OEM wind got me right in the forehead, and shook my glasses.
The LRS, set at the same height, shots the wind over the top of my helmet, and no glasses shaking.

No vibration or no whistling (as some have stated with LRS)

Got it on sale for $76. Very happy with it.

--
Gordon
Edit....
Correction.......I have the LRS Battle Axe.....and love it.

--
Gordon

·
Registered
54 Posts
Definitely check out Freedom Shields fantastic product. I'm 6 ft & have the 12"" it's perfect. If you ride a lot with a passenger you'll need to go taller..
Hi,
I'm also 6' and the buffeting I get with my stock 18" is driving my nuts. FS sounds like my first choice to replace, but I'm a little thrown off by the heights. You stated you have the 12", but my 18" is just not getting the job done. I was thinking about getting their taller models, but your recommendation is throwing me a curveball. hahaha. Would you share your experience with the stock 18" and how the FS 12" is getting the job done?

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a stock windshield on my 17 Roadmaster. I bought a flared LRS Battleaxe, but let me tell you what I found....I have absolutley no issues with the LRS on a nice day. But when I got caught in a driving thunder storm in South Dakota with no where to pull off safely.....Typically, when it's raining, at highway speeds, I can lower my windshield and use the airstream to sweep off my helmet visor or eye protection....Well, the flared windshield no longer lets that happen, I have to literally stand up on the floorboards to get into the air stream. So, If I'm going to be on a long road trip, I put the stocker back on just in case I get caught in the rain. And it happens frequently. I can't think of a long trip I have taken where I didnt' get rained on at least once.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts