Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question here is if I go to the dealer with my bike returned to stock are they gonna know I tuned it? And put it back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer won’t, but if for some reason they have to get Indian/Polaris involved, they CAN tell.
I was going to go in to have the winshield motor replaced and I put pipes and air cleaner on with th pv3 . The dealer dealer told me that the pv3 will void my warranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First it has to break, and then the dealer has to prove the failure was caused by the tune you loaded with the pv-3...
Thats what I thought . But the service tech told me that any tuning they didn't do would void my warranty I have extended warranty till 2026. I dont want to loose that .love the way my bike runs.

·
Rider
944 Posts
Thats what I thought . But the service tech told me that any tuning they didn't do would void my warranty I have extended warranty till 2026. I dont want to loose that .love the way my bike runs.
That's bunk, my dealer sold me the tuner from FM then set me up with FM remote tuning. My bike was brand new on the show floor when I added everything.

·
Rider
1,596 Posts
I'm gonna talk to them that is bull.
There are dealerships that play hardball and will flag your bike's power-train if you have an aftermarket tune and there are dealerships on the other side of the coin that will provide an aftermarket tuning service and not flag your bike. My dealership for example sells Dynojet tuning tools and even has his own dyno.

Don't go burning any bridges.....Irrespective of where your dealership lies in the spectrum described above your relationship with your dealer can often the driving factor and is important, unless of course it is deemed as a crappy dealership and you have another close by?

Fitting a tune and subsequently rolling back to stock will always leave a footprint. Only those that know exactly where to look will find it.

·
Bronze member
4,684 Posts
Flashing a tune WILL VOID you warranty period. The Magnuson Moss Act has no jurisdiction here. Flashing the ECU changes fueling and ignition which violates Federal and European Emissions laws on it being illegal to change fueling, exhaust and ignition.

Just because dealers do it doesn't mean it will be covered by warranty. Polaris determines warranty eligibility not the dealer. Dealers are de-cating headers which is totally illegal.

THE DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT OF 1998 made it illegal for anyone to change or alter software or hardware of any computer type device. But several years ago Apple used this law to try and shut down all the "Jailbreak" software crackers who offered unlocked version software on the Apple iOS on iPhones. The defendants argued that one someone owned the device they could do as they wanted. The Federal court agreed, but stipulated that although end users could alter "crack" their devices to their hearts content, but the OEM "Apple" in this case no longer had to support warranty and software updates.

The PVCX and PV3 are the result of Dynojet hacking in to the ECU to expose all the adjustable parameters.(this used to be illegal) but since the ruling stated above it is no longer. That is why there is no tuner available for the Challenger, because it is a new ECU that they have to break into and hack. They are still today exposing more tuning tables previously unknown on the 111/116, FTR and Scouts. Makes you wonder if they should go back and re-do all the canned tunes since more adjustability is been discovered.

All this being said, I installed a PVCX after my first 500 miles and never looked back. It the best thing you can do to the bike. The only way it would become an issue is if you have a major unresolvable issue and the dealer has to send the ECU data to Polaris. Or you somehow screw up installing the tune and the dealer is incompetent in resolving it. Digital Wrench at the dealer level does not have the diagnostic tools to determine if other trace tunes and been installed, but Polaris does.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Flashing a tune WILL VOID you warranty period. The Magnuson Moss Act has no jurisdiction here. Flashing the ECU changes fueling and ignition which violates Federal and European Emissions laws on it being illegal to change fueling, exhaust and ignition.

Just because dealers do it doesn't mean it will be covered by warranty. Polaris determines warranty eligibility not the dealer. Dealers are de-cating headers which is totally illegal.

THE DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT OF 1998 made it illegal for anyone to change or alter software or hardware of any computer type device. But several years ago Apple used this law to try and shut down all the "Jailbreak" software crackers who offered unlocked version software on the Apple iOS on iPhones. The defendants argued that one someone owned the device they could do as they wanted. The Federal court agreed, but stipulated that although end users could alter "crack" their devices to their hearts content, but the OEM "Apple" in this case no longer had to support warranty and software updates.

The PVCX and PV3 are the result of Dynojet hacking in to the ECU to expose all the adjustable parameters.(this used to be illegal) but since the ruling stated above it is no longer. That is why there is no tuner available for the Challenger, because it is a new ECU that they have to break into and hack. They are still today exposing more tuning tables previously unknown on the 111/116, FTR and Scouts. Makes you wonder if they should go back and re-do all the canned tunes since more adjustability is been discovered.

All this being said, I installed a PVCX after my first 500 miles and never looked back. It the best thing you can do to the bike. The only way it would become an issue is if you have a major unresolvable issue and the dealer has to send the ECU data to Polaris. Or you somehow screw up installing the tune and the dealer is incompetent in resolving it. Digital Wrench at the dealer level does not have the diagnostic tools to determine if other trace tunes and been installed, but Polaris does.
Very informative, thank you for the explanation. And like you, installed the PVCX and glad I did.

·
Rider
1,596 Posts
Flashing a tune WILL VOID you warranty period. The Magnuson Moss Act has no jurisdiction here. Flashing the ECU changes fueling and ignition which violates Federal and European Emissions laws on it being illegal to change fueling, exhaust and ignition.........
Interesting legislation regarding European Emission Laws that carry absolutely no weight whatsoever in the UK. I cannot speak for the rest of Europe and thankfully after January we will not be in or governed so much by Euroland any more. There are no emission checks carried out on motorcycles at annual MOT checks which are a legal requirement once the vehicle is three years old from date of registration in the UK. So how are they ever going to know if you've reflashed the ECU? What I do know is that some dealerships will take the onus of covering any remaining warranty you may have themselves only if they fit the tune. This keeps the parent company out of the equation. Tuning is always a game of chance when it comes to warranty and the risk you may actually need to use it for a powertrain claim? I too took the chance as personally the benefits to be had especially with an FTRs quirks and foibles, it far outweighed the value and risk of any remaining powertrain only warranty.

Reactions: Baron58

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are dealerships that play hardball and will flag your bike's power-train if you have an aftermarket tune and there are dealerships on the other side of the coin that will provide an aftermarket tuning service and not flag your bike. My dealership for example sells Dynojet tuning tools and even has his own dyno.

Don't go burning any bridges.....Irrespective of where your dealership lies in the spectrum described above your relationship with your dealer can often the driving factor and is important, unless of course it is deemed as a crappy dealership and you have another close by?

Fitting a tune and subsequently rolling back to stock will always leave a footprint. Only those that know exactly where to look will find it.
I'm not going to burn any bridges just gonna get my windshield motor replaced . Thanks for the knowledge .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts