Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I'm off the freeways the stock tires dont bother me, though I still dont like them.
At speed (75mph+) on the Southern California freeways they are just scary.
They chase and dance with the rain grooves in the concrete freeways to the point that it feels like a tank slapper is coming.

Ive only had the bike for a few day and will be taking it to my local shop this evening for new rubber.

Side note, anyone who likes the stock tires wanna get a set with 150 miles on them for a good price?

·
Rider
1,083 Posts
Once I'm off the freeways the stock tires dont bother me, though I still dont like them.
At speed (75mph+) on the Southern California freeways they are just scary.
They chase and dance with the rain grooves in the concrete freeways to the point that it feels like a tank slapper is coming.

Ive only had the bike for a few day and will be taking it to my local shop this evening for new rubber.

Side note, anyone who likes the stock tires wanna get a set with 150 miles on them for a good price?
@wallycycle seems to like the stock tires very much.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I feel that most stock tires that come with bikes do this. I've always favoured softer and grippier compounds and damned be the mileage over the ability to handle the rain grooves and cement seams on our Kalifornia highways.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is my 3rd new bike and the first that the tires were actually BAD.

Ducati monster 796 (technically bought used private party with 400 miles on it)
Triumph Tiger 800

Ran both of those stock tires to their death before trying something else.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am getting used to the rain grove wallow. For me, he best way is to not grip hard for control, let the FTR keep the wheel straight.

That said, I will be picking out some different tires when ready, probably in the Spring, following some great feedback from the FTR tire sticky thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did move to a 50/50 tire on my Tiger and it does the same thing in the rain grooves.
The 90/10 stock and 80/20 Avons I used never did.

·
Rider
1,043 Posts
I can get my car tires to wallow in the grooves as well. I think all tires do when you ride in the groove. Some handle it a bit better than others. I found that if your tire has vertical grooves in the tread, the effects are greater translated to the rider. It's a reason why I later switched to a vintage tire tread pattern on my Cafe racer. Stock tire had a single vertical groove running down the center, like the stock Kenda's that come on the early Scouts.

I have never felt unsafe from it happening though. The bike just wiggles a little beneath me. But I stay loose in the hips and I don't let it bother me. Just adjust and get off the groove. You would think that there would be a ton of news articles and crashed bikes with the way people talk about them. And massive outcry from the cities to repave the highways. But I haven't come across any.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can tell you none of my other bikes do this (well the tiger does now with 50/50s). The groves might pull you in a direction, but the handlebars dont shake.
We may not be riding the same types of roads. There are HUGE sections of freeway here that all 4 lanes have rain grooves covering all lanes. Staying loose and backing off throttle quickly corrects, but 80 is a pretty standard speed of traffic here.

I agree that its totally tread pattern. I also have not felt the issue on tar and chip or asphalt roads.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's not the tires. Lived in San Diego for 7 yrs & commuted 63 miles one way a day. 95% on a motorcycle. It's the roads.

·
Bronze member
2,367 Posts
IM went with a faux looking flat track tire for the FTR. Since most FTRs will never see anything but pavement, a street tire would have been a better choice, IMO.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yeah, this is a wild generalization. The FTR is my first bike with tires this bad.

(in 25+ bikes)
It sure is and based on all the bikes I've owned over 40 years and changed the stock tires out for the same reason you've given. We all have our own experiences and tolerances. Just sharing mine.

·
Rider
1,083 Posts
IM went with a faux looking flat track tire for the FTR. Since most FTRs will never see anything but pavement, a street tire would have been a better choice, IMO.
They definitely went for the look, and performance a secondary issue...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My experience was the same as teamcurtis, and I was very alarmed as I hit freeway grooves on my way home from the dealer. I have definitely noticed the effect reduce as the tires wear in and I become accustomed to the bike. With that said i observe the tires wearing very quickly and honestly am eager to get them off the bike. I am confident the turn in feel as well as the freeway tracking may improve with a more standard set of tires. I’m at about 2.8k mi on the tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive lived in San Diego for 20 years now, riding a motorcycle for the past 15. Again, with the experience of 4 different bikes and multiple tire combinations on each of them, i have only notice this type of reaction to the roads on the stock FTR tires, and my current 50/50 tires on my Tiger. The southern california rain grooves absolutely affect all tires (even car) but this movement is unique to the tread pattern.

My bike is currently at the shop having Scorpion Trail II's fitted

1 - 17 of 17 Posts