Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife does not want pipes louder. Has anyone done the air intake upgrade and cam upgrade with stock pipes on the 2016 Springfield????

·
Registered
182 Posts
The freer flowing pipes & air cleaner are required to move the correct amount of air through the engine with the cam upgrade.
The Indian stage 1 pipes are still street legal noise compliant so I don't think there's an extreme change in loudness.

·
Super Moderator
5,757 Posts
Not much in increased decibels - UNLESS ou drill out the cat and mufflers. Then you get moderately loud pipes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Personally, I think you're going to get an increase in sound level when you install the cams. Although maybe not louder, but certainly deeper, which makes it sound louder. Hard to explain. Sound is so subjective.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ran the cams and an intake with stock cans with punched plugs. It didn't run right. I got hooked up with a set of Freedom Performance Liberty slip ons for around $400. That's the only reason I'm running them. Just waiting until I can get a quality 2:1 with 18mm bungs. They aren't overly loud. Obviously louder than stock. You may be able to pull the baffles and wrap them if they aren't already wrapped in order to lower the dB.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I ran the cams and an intake with stock cans with punched plugs. It didn't run right. I got hooked up with a set of Freedom Performance Liberty slip ons for around $400. That's the only reason I'm running them. Just waiting until I can get a quality 2:1 with 18mm bungs. They aren't overly loud. Obviously louder than stock. You may be able to pull the baffles and wrap them if they aren't already wrapped in order to lower the dB.
I'm going with the Rush slip ons and performance air intake this Friday. Rolling the dice because I haven't actually heard one set up p like that. Hoping it'll give me the sound I'm after.

·
Registered
2014 Vintage, 2000 Gilroy Silver Cloud,1973 Indian Dirt Bike
703 Posts
I just took my wife on a short ride on my vintage after having KMC Powersports do every engine performance upgrade and thought she would give me a hard time about the sound of the Lloyd slip-ons with the cams and she loved the sound(so do I). It is a deep rumble. He also gutted my cat(the one on the bike) :)

·
Read Only
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the set up you mention on my RM and it runs fine. It is louder than stock but not bad; my wife has the same concerns as yours.
Thanx , just got around to reading your response. I would like to keep the stock pipes as long as it does not hurt the bike.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You won't hurt it, but I did find that after 13,000 miles the baffles were pretty well hammered. The bike was louder, but my wife didn't seem to notice the gradual increase in sound

Last weekend, I swapped out my stock headers for stock headers that I sent to American Custom to have the CAT removed, (they also installed a plate which diverts some exhaust to the left side and provides some back pressure). Put about a 100 miles on her yesterday and I have to say - this is the combination for me! The main objective for the header modification was to reduce the heat. I think that was accomplished but it was only 43 yesterday so I'm not sure if the heat was reduced but the throttle response was outstanding!

So, my combo is Indian AC, stage 2 cams, American Custom modified headers and stock slip ons with the plugs intact. Sounds great, the wife is not complaining (yes, she was with me yesterday) and the bike runs like a true Harley killer. Next add on I'm considering is a Dobeck or some other fuel controller. I know Enzo loves his dobeck and I respect his opinion some that's probably the route I'll go.

Good luck my friend, let us know what you do and more importantly - tell us what your wife thinks; there's lots of us on this forum that have the same concerns!

·
Registered
36 Posts
IMG_3808.JPG
We have bassani on our Legend Indian. The sound was a little weak for me so I pulled the baffles out took the fiberglass wrapping off and put them back in!

·
Founding member / rider
893 Posts
Big Daddy, a much better way to go is to have the bikes ECU properly reflashed rather than an add on spoofer like the Dobeck. The results are far superior.

You want the DynoJet's Power Vision CX Flash Tuner. Lots of good info down in the performance section.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Big Daddy, a much better way to go is to have the bikes ECU properly reflashed rather than an add on spoofer like the Dobeck. The results are far superior.

You want the DynoJet's Power Vision CX Flash Tuner. Lots of good info down in the performance section.
Wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,really? I'll take the 'spoofer' Dobeck any day of the year instead of flashes to keep it EPA compliant. Far superior? Is this a troll posting??

·
Founding member / rider
893 Posts
Wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,really? I'll take the 'spoofer' Dobeck any day of the year instead of flashes to keep it EPA compliant. Far superior? Is this a troll posting??
Sorry, and with all due respect, I totally disagree. It is easy to reflash the ECU back to the original settings should you be concerned by an emissions test.

This is not a troll posting. The resulting over all rideability with a proper reflashing of the vehicles ECU is superior to a spoofer that for all practical purposes only modifies the pulse width of the Fuel injector.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My wife does not want pipes louder. Has anyone done the air intake upgrade and cam upgrade with stock pipes on the 2016 Springfield????
You have to upgrade the exhaust prior to cams (that is why the cams are stage 2; stage 1 = free flow air cleaner & exhaust)
I have the Indian Stage 1 pipes and they are perfect & with the cams it is a "sound of beauty".
The stage 1 pipes are not loud at all - just throaty sounding. My wife and 80 year old neighbor both commented on how good it sounded.
You will be very happy ~ My Best ~ Joe

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Sorry, and with all due respect, I totally disagree. It is easy to reflash the ECU back to the original settings should you be concerned by an emissions test.

This is not a troll posting. The resulting over all rideability with a proper reflashing of the vehicles ECU is superior to a spoofer that for all practical purposes only modifies the pulse width of the Fuel injector.
OK...........OK............I give up here.

The factory reflash's are always the best and the Scout 60 rules the road. Two things I have learned here the last week. I really give up.
Happy New Year

·
Founding member / rider
893 Posts
OK...........OK............I give up here.

The factory reflash's are always the best and the Scout 60 rules the road. Two things I have learned here the last week. I really give up.
Happy New Year
??????? Sorry about the confusion, The stock (Factory) ECU flash only gives the best ride ability while meeting EPA requirements. A reflash such as Fuel Moto has provides far better ride ability and performance with out having to meet EPA requirements as a criteria generally always resulting in a better performing machine.

My own personal opinion is that a properly tuned reflash of the bikes ECU will result in a more satisfactory result.........I have never been a fan of a "Spoofer".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts