Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
What mirrors do you recommend for the Roadmaster? How do you find the stock ones? Are Indian's Pinnacle Mirror's better than the stock?

Backstory: Finally I am just in the process of buying a new Roadmaster and trying to organise the best mods and accessories as part of the deal. I have heard a few reviewers say that the mirrors on the Roadmaster are a tad small. I think good mirrors are an essential safety feature on bike. I am not really thinking about aesthetics - for me its about effectiveness. My criteria for a good mirror are 1: Clarity of view 2) Good adjustibility (i.e. you can angle the mirror to exactly where you need to be and it stays there. 3) Absence of shake.

Many thanks for any thoughts on this!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hey Benji,
I have the stockies on my machine.
I get minimal vibration ( all mirrors do have some ).
They are a bit smaller than the voyager mirrors for example but it's one of those things that you do get used to. If they are adjusted correctly then this is not an issue (it's not like you are looking at a mirror that is the size of a teaspoon).
the adjustment is quite good at all angles.
I would just like to add another criteria to your list and that is "firmness". I find that having a mirror that doesn't move whilst you are riding is a huge bonus. When you set it, you can forget about having to keep adjusting it. Mine have not gone "limp" and are quite firm which means that if you knock them, they don't move out of adjustment all that easily.
I can't say that I have experienced the aftermarket ones but maybe someone else can help with this.
Cheers,

·
Registered
809 Posts
I still have the stock mirrors on the bike after 14,xxx miles. They're great mirrors. As others have said, they don't move of their own accord, the vision clarity is good, and they look nice. They are not small.

That said, the Pinnacles are larger and I'd like to add them sometime, but they are pricy.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I changed to the Indian aftermarket mirrors. I do prefer how the look on the Roadmaster. Besides being a bit bigger, the stems push them out further than the stock mirror. They are also all metal compared to the plastic back of the stock mirrors. No movement unless I move them. To me, worth the money spent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Harley D makes a mirror with a blind spot mirror built in. If they didn't have HD plastered on it I would definitely buy a set. They look real nice!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I find the stock RM mirrors to be good in use and they don't move. However, I keep knocking the left mirror out of position when I move the handlebars to full lock in order to lock the forks. I think it has to do with the short stalk they sit on. I push the right grip and forget to move my left wrist out of the way. The wrist runs into the mirror and messes up the setting. I have to teach the old dog new tricks or maybe buy the Indian aftermarket mirrors that PremoRM mentioned.

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
the stock mirrors work very well, but if you want a different look, then go ahead and make that bike your own!

Reactions: SterlingDrive

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
There are aftermarket extensions to raise the factory mirrors by about an inch and a half and they work well in getting the stock mirrors out of the way of clumsy hands like mine .
I have the Indian Pinnacle mirrors ($149) on my Vintage because the stockers would not stay in position. Personally
I like the size, height and sturdiness of the Pinnacles over the stock Indian Mirrors.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I moved to the Indian Pinnacle mirrors, no vibration and they are taller than original and thus I can see better behind me.

>------> >------> >------>

Live Free and Die Well
Texas Hill Country - Wimberley
2015 Blue and Ivory Chieftain

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have had the Pinnacle mirrors on my Vintage for a year now, an improvement over the standard mirrors BUT I have just had them replaced under warranty because one of the mirror frames started to corrode around the edge, the problem is that water can sit in the edge of the mirror frame even after I have blown the mirrors dry with compressed air, I have sealed the edge of the frame of the new mirrors with clear glass sealer now to stop corrosion again, standard mirrors have a seal between the glass and frame

·
Registered
15 Posts
If anyone is still considering shelling out money for the Pinnacle mirrors on your Roadmaster, you might try simply rotating the arm around 180 degrees. Both ends are the same thread and in my opinion it provides a better viewing angle. I did this today and after an hour of riding around town I consider the change an improvement. ..and it’s free.

You’ll need to loosen and rotate the clutch and handbrake assemblies a little to gain enough room to unscrew the arms, but you’d have to do that if you bought aftermarkets anyway.

Here’s a picture I took after switching my left mirror around. You’ll see how it compares to the right one that is still in the original orientation. I think I'll be less likely to bump the mirrors with my hands when reaching for the grips too.

20160424_110320.jpg

·
570 Posts
I was in the "don't need to upgrade camp", but I got tired of readjusting the stock mirrors all the time. It sounds like others here had better luck. A friend bought a RM at the same time and experienced the same problem. The Pinnacle mirrors hold their setting and give better coverage of what's going on behind you. If safety is the primary driver for you, spend the money as you won't spend time adjusting mirrors that have shifted along the ride, allowing you to stay focused on what's in front and behind you.

·
Rider
473 Posts
Stock mirrors are working for me. The hold steady and give a good view. My only issue is that with the handlebars turned I bump the left one occasionally when I dismount. I do like that it is easy to re-adjust and stays in place when set.

·
Bronze member
1,503 Posts
Stock mirrors work fine. I replaced them with Pinnacle's on my RM and may do the same on my Vintage. They are really solid pieces (Stock are plastic) and once set in place they have remained where I originally set them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ponied up for the Pinnacle mirrors and never looked back! (No pun) They are great and give a wider field of view.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anyone is still considering shelling out money for the Pinnacle mirrors on your Roadmaster, you might try simply rotating the arm around 180 degrees. Both ends are the same thread and in my opinion it provides a better viewing angle. I did this today and after an hour of riding around town I consider the change an improvement. ..and it’s free.

You’ll need to loosen and rotate the clutch and handbrake assemblies a little to gain enough room to unscrew the arms, but you’d have to do that if you bought aftermarkets anyway.

Here’s a picture I took after switching my left mirror around. You’ll see how it compares to the right one that is still in the original orientation. I think I'll be less likely to bump the mirrors with my hands when reaching for the grips too.

View attachment 42026
That's a cool idea (turning them around); I find stick poisiton too low and I'm always ducking my head down to see in them. And they seem to have limited viewing field because they show mostly my wife's shoulders. I'm definitely going to try the mirror arm switcheroo and see how it goes. Question: I note the throttle wrist -rest in your photo. How do you like it? What brand is it? How does it fit? Any concerns, experiences you'd like to share about it?

·
Registered
307 Posts
So far I haven't had any issues with my stock ones. Didn't even realize they are plastic, had to go check for myself. lol

I found that when I moved the clutch and brake levers to where I like them I was able to get a good view behind me. This also got the mirrors out of my way so I stopped banging them.

I'll wait until the stock ones deteriorate or break.

Stephen

1 - 20 of 22 Posts