Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went ahead and did it. Finished my first service and had the baffles out and the internal pipes shortened down to half its size.

Sounds amazing. Performance seems a bit better. Better pickup. Will monitor the adverse effects if any and report back.

People can not only see an awesome bike pass by. They can now hear it coming a mile away

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I went ahead and did it. Finished my first service and had the baffles cut down to half its size.

Please explain how you "cut down to half its size" works! How do you cut a baffle in half?
Were they drilled or a hole saw or.....

By the way your bike sounds good!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Please explain how you "cut down to half its size" works! How do you cut a baffle in half?
Were they drilled or a hole saw or.....

By the way your bike sounds good!
Had a an exhaust workshop do it for me. From what I understood, the baffles were taken out and shortened in length to half their original size and put back in.

Ran it across the mechanic and he said that apart from the louder sound, performance should marginally improve as well. Also that the ecm would compensate for the change in back pressure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't cost me too much to do it as well. Am not great with tools and machines so had to get it done. With limited options available in Dubai for this kind of work I still ended up paying under 300$ for the work.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,186 Posts
I think you're referring to the actual internal muffler that was cut in half. The baffles are merely a metal disk blocking a straight pass through forcing all the exhaust gases through the muffler section.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you're referring to the actual internal muffler that was cut in half. The baffles are merely a metal disk blocking a straight pass through forcing all the exhaust gases through the muffler section.
Enzo, you may be right. I definitely need to get the technicalities from the workshop.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That is great! Awesome sound improvement with spending very little money. Great job.

I might check into that if these slip-ons that I ordered are just too loud.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not judging, just curious.... why do guys want to make their bike's so loud? I personally ride for the fun of the bike. Bothering neighbors and people trying to enjoy their time outside is not anything I enjoy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I personally like louder and throatier sounding pipes because they're a warning sign for cagers. I can't count the number of times I've banged on the throttle a wee bit instead of kicking someone, and I always have less trouble to begin with when people can hear me coming.

Also, they sound badass heh

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You were right. I have edit my post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I personally like louder and throatier sounding pipes because they're a warning sign for cagers. I can't count the number of times I've banged on the throttle a wee bit instead of kicking someone, and I always have less trouble to begin with when people can hear me coming.

Also, they sound badass heh
Also lets the Harley owners realize there's a new sheriff in town.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Enzo, you may be right. I definitely need to get the technicalities from the workshop.
Nabil,

I am watching this thread hoping you can get the technical details from the shop. If that is not possible, perhaps you can slip out the baffles and take a lot of pictures.

Thank you!

·
Registered
537 Posts
After removing the end caps, does the baffle/muffler simply pull out? I would check myself, but my bike (ordered 8/28/2014) has not been delivered.

These modified stock pipes sound great.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts