Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to remove baffles from the stock pipe yet? If so how did you do it and how did it turn out? I am eager to put a full exhaust on my Scout, but I'm not pulling the trigger until I am able to get exactly what I want. Until then I am thinking of ways I can get the stock system to sound a little throatier.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found one posting with some incomplete info on how to do a modification on the stock exhaust. I have not found anything substantial through the search function. Rather then rehash an old thread I thought I would start a new one.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
If I recall, the baffle is sealed on the stock exhaust. Removing the black end cap will reveal this.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I recall, the baffle is sealed on the stock exhaust. Removing the black end cap will reveal this.
If you remove that cap its just for show. There is no access to inside the muffler from removing the black cap. I'm tempted to remove the whole muffler and see whats at the other end.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As Quinn mentioned, lots of info on this, and I'm pretty sure someone has knocked out their baffles (from the output end), as I think they are just spot welded in. Search and you will find it.
the exhaust exit is the size of a quarter... anyone want to post a link of all this detailed info? I've yet to find it with creative search titles.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
If you remove that cap its just for show. There is no access to inside the muffler from removing the black cap. I'm tempted to remove the whole muffler and see whats at the other end.
Are you answering your own question or questioning my answer? The baffle tube in the stage 1 is 1.25" ID. Haven't bothered to measure the stock. The stock muffler also has the cats to the front.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you answering your own question or questioning my answer? The baffle tube in the stage 1 is 1.25" ID. Haven't bothered to measure the stock. The stock muffler also has the cats to the front.
I'm just stating I do not see how anything can be removed from the exit of the exhaust. I'm looking for replies from people that have done this or know how to do this. No offense but everyone in here flaming has no solution based on any experience. What help is that? I want solutions here not smart remarks or references to the loads of info to be found via the search function. I've already tried searching for the answers to my questions or I wouldn't have started a thread.

·
Founding Member
1,949 Posts
the exhaust exit is the size of a quarter... anyone want to post a link of all this detailed info? I've yet to find it with creative search titles.
Thread "Modification of stock pipes, post #21, by ScootnScout. The baffles come out the end closest to the engine, by knocking them out from the exhaust end

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I'm just stating I do not see how anything can be removed from the exit of the exhaust. I'm looking for replies from people that have done this or know how to do this. No offense but everyone in here flaming has no solution based on any experience. What help is that? I want solutions here not smart remarks or references to the loads of info to be found via the search function. I've already tried searching for the answers to my questions or I wouldn't have started a thread.
The answer to your question is here, " Punching the exhaust plugs ", a thread started by DrZ, last December. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Ok .. So now I'm confused a bit re: the stock mufflers. Has anyone actually punched out the catalytic converters??

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know the layout of the stock cans. To clarify I am looking to remove baffles, packing, cats, whatever the restriction of flow and sound is in a stock pipe. I am at work but will be searching the titles a couple of you mentioned above.

Trying to make a free flowing louder stock pipe setup until I am sold on one of the aftermarket offerings. As of right now none of them are really what i am looking for and money doesn't grown on trees. So I am trying hard to have patience.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I don't know the layout of the stock cans. To clarify I am looking to remove baffles, packing, cats, whatever the restriction of flow and sound is in a stock pipe. I am at work but will be searching the titles a couple of you mentioned above.

Trying to make a free flowing louder stock pipe setup until I am sold on one of the aftermarket offerings. As of right now none of them are really what i am looking for and money doesn't grown on trees. So I am trying hard to have patience.
This is to the extent that I can help you with the stock cans. I took (2) pictures, one with the decorative black cap off. The stock can is welded shut. Looks like you'll need to do a decent amount off cutting/welding/drilling to access that end. The other picture is of the inlet end. The cat starts about 4" in. The cat is approx 4" long on the stage 1 baffle, so guessing similar on the stock. Guess you need to see what others might have done to their stock can..

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Troop thanks for the pictures. I've seen the exit end and agree that is not likely the ideal end to start cutting. On the inlet end unless that packing can be pulled out I think a hole saw might be the only option. The big mystery is how deep does it go and what is beyond it?! If you decide to take a stab at it let me know. I might also take my cans off tonight and start hacking. Just a little anxious to possibly destroy the unknown inside there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe that internal packing or cat can be pushed from the exit back through the inlet with a broom stick? I would be more comfortable removing it with minimal hacking.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Maybe that internal packing or cat can be pushed from the exit back through the inlet with a broom stick? I would be more comfortable removing it with minimal hacking.
What I know is this from my stage 1 baffles:
A.) Stage 1 baffles are 1.25" diameter. I'm going to guess that the stock baffles may be a bit narrower? Maybe in the 1" area?
B.) The stage 1 baffles had (4) complete turns of 1/4" fiberglass wrap to equal 1" of packing !! I don't know if that's primarily for sound dampening or heat, as the cats would generate hot exhaust being located in the mufflers.
You won't have any access to the baffles or wrap w/out cutting the cap off. You could jam something thru the outlet end to try and remove the cats but you're screwed if all you do is bend/crush the shit out of it. Just for shits/giggles, I took a leaf blower and blew air thru my cats. They passed a good amount of volume so I don't think they're overly restrictive. Your best/safest bet is to wait for some aftermarket slip-ons (cheapest) or a full system (not so cheap). Good luck in your venture...

Reactions: Roll On

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think the stock exhaust system is great as it is for OEM. I do know that removing the CAT system on some exhaust system helps with HP performance and leaving the muffler "packing material" stock as to please the neighbors and not to attract attention from the local Po Po or CHP "Highway Patrol"

Example from another motorcycle exhaust system I did remove the CAT from my Honda Grom unit to see if I get more HP and it did help. I left the stock muffler due to I hate noise.

here is a pic of my stock exhaust, I used a dermal tool with brown cutting dic and cut along the welding line of the pipe and I cut out the CAT system and after that I re-welded the cut section back on and added a bung for my O2 sensor unit to monitor the A/F mixture and for mapping my PCV"Power Commander Five".

cut of pipe, CAT exposed

Pulling out the CAT material

CAT unit cut out and bung hole drilled out before re-welding cut piece back on

I assume the Scout internal is similar

1 - 20 of 120 Posts