Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced the clutch able twice now on my scout. Now it’s wearing out again and will soon need to be replaced. Any good replacements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got 18,000 miles on my '17 Chieftain and no issues. I loosen the cable and inspect and grease the ends per the service manual and shows no wear at all so far.

·
Bronze member
1,500 Posts
Typically the OEM clutch cables stretch. Same for my Polaris Victory. Some have had them break. After adjusting several times, that’s telling me it will continue. I’ve done (1) adjustment on my Barnett cable for my Scout-same for my Victory. After install and ran a couple hundred miles, minor adjustment and that’s it. No more. Plus smoother operation. Best cable out there. IMO.

·
Bronze member
1,500 Posts
I suspect it’s a hit and miss on the quality and service life of the Inner steel OEM cable. My Vic was worrying me after several adjustments. Not wanting to be stranded I replaced it. My Scout required 3 (Minor) adjustments in 1.5k miles.

·
Bronze member
1,976 Posts
I replaced my clutch cable with a Barnett SS braided cable. Nice cable, but if I had to do it over, I would have gotten the standard black sheath cable. It is more flexible and just as good (although not as "trick" looking).

·
Registered
19 Posts
40k on the original stock cable, no issues.
'19 Springfield DH @ 40.000 miles, cable just broke this weekend. No cables to be found at any Indian dealership within 500 miles of Kansas City. Followed this forums advise and ordered 2 Barnett cables. One just to have just in case should this happen on a trip - Karen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts