Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to swap my stock chieftain bars out for the KST Apache Baggers. Trying to save a few bucks I found the ape install guide from the Indian website and gave it the ol college try. Pretty straight forward aside from having to take the outer fairing off to remove the handlebar wiring harness connector (I guess they’re may be a way to do it without per the directions? Found it easier to just take it off). Almost everything worked after reassembly, the kill switch didn’t kill the bike after starting but after going through my preop photos I found my error. All in all, a great experience! Learned a lot about my bike and love the new look!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
You can get to the connectors by removing the headlight. I liked the looks of the KST Apache bars...until I actually rode any distance with them. For me, I found that the bars are too wide and too straight, as opposed to the stock bars which have the grips angled in. I had numbness in my hands, and a lot of trouble doing slow-speed maneuvers when instructing Rider Courses due to the reach to the grips at full lock.

I had to go back to the stock bars, so now I have a set of Apache's sitting in a box in my spare room.

Reactions: cmcghee92

·
Rider
1,423 Posts
Decided to swap my stock chieftain bars out for the KST Apache Baggers. Trying to save a few bucks I found the ape install guide from the Indian website and gave it the ol college try. Pretty straight forward aside from having to take the outer fairing off to remove the handlebar wiring harness connector (I guess they’re may be a way to do it without per the directions? Found it easier to just take it off). Almost everything worked after reassembly, the kill switch didn’t kill the bike after starting but after going through my preop photos I found my error. All in all, a great experience! Learned a lot about my bike and love the new look! View attachment 599874 View attachment 599875
The bars look good

1 - 3 of 3 Posts